• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you get most of your ideas from?

Where do you get most of your ideas/beliefs from?

• Books I've read

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Examination of my personal experiences

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • Researching other people's experiences

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Generally accepted leaders in the field of paganism

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Myths and ancient traditions

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Experimentation - guessing, trying something, and seeing what happens.

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • My ideas change constantly

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters

Prima

Because paganism doesn't have set doctrines, I'm just wondering where most of you get your ideas from...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The suck it and see works well for me, +many years of living

Terry

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Pretty much all of the above , although I'm a little leary of " accepted leaders in the field ". :)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
All, except, as Kreeden says, the leaders in Paganism field. I don't believe in higher Druids. Sure, wiser, more knowledgeable and deserving of respect Druids, but not of higher ranks. That's part of why I dislike OBOD.

Most of what I do is experimentation, especially with meditation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Usually from meditation. Sometimes from books.
I don't see how anyone could pick the generally accepted leaders option.

Master Vigil

Well, experience of course. :D But as with everyting else, my ideas do change. And I also study other people's experiences as well. But mostly, the spirits are pretty good teachers. :D

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Luke Wolf said:
Usually from meditation. Sometimes from books.
I don't see how anyone could pick the generally accepted leaders option.
Well , who writes the books ? ;) But I agree . It is easier to take what you want from a book , and leave the rest . :)

Sorry , but I just had to keep everyone honest ... ;)

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
I voted for all the choices. I know "accepted leaders of the feild of Paganism" just might be an unpopular choice, but there is no way for me to deny the influence that they have had on me, either postivetly or negatively. The "Pagan" books; often from self proclaimed leaders or they become leaders because of the books,as a source are often conversial enought to cause thought. The process of causing thought is what I look for when I am searching and reaching for more ideas.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
If we were honest , we all would have to say that some leader or the other has had some influence upon us Isabella . :) That is assuming that none of us have been living in a fish tank or something . ;)

Granny Beth

kreeden said:
If we were honest , we all would have to say that some leader or the other has had some influence upon us Isabella . :) That is assuming that none of us have been living in a fish tank or something . ;)
What "leaders" are we talking about here? The Pagan Federation are generally held to be the official face of paganism but I can't think of any individuals I would call a 'leader' of my faith. Have you got anyone specific in mind or are you talking about influential figures? :confused:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Hiya Beth . No , I'm just using the term in a very general way . Teacher , leader , or anyone we get ideas from . WE all choose our leaders , and choose if we follow them or not or how far we do follow . :)

Pagan Federation eh ? Sounds ... political . :)

Myst

I get mine from meditation and messages from my spirit guides, books and personal expereinces.

The Pagan Federation scares me lol. have no idea how they work but have heard their names a few times...just sounds like something far off of paganism itself. (my personal opinion)

BTW hey all, new here

sapphire

i clicked my mouse and voted: "Examination of my personal experiences"
although there are times when i'll need to do research on a spell, or trying out something new, only then will i take a visit to the bookstore, to find whatever i'm looking for.:flower2:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
A lot of experimentation and evaluation. Pretty much everything on the list except the experiences of others, and leaders in the field. =) My beliefs constantly change, sometimes on a weekly basis.

tavthe

Abysmal Stargazer
While its true that a lot of the leaders in the field do write the books, sometimes you find names on the bookshelves from out in left field. Sometimes books are written by people in completely different fields.

So my choices were: books; examination; myths; experimentation. However though I did not choose 'researching other's experiences' or 'constant change' I realize I am always changing - though I feared that the option might lend itself to a state where one is in chronic change (which could be considered a negative attribute to one's development). I do take note of other people's experiences but not to the same degree as I spend analysing my own.

As for your leaders in the field, I don't trust their opinions based on their status. I do so if I feel a connection with them, or see any potential in what they have to say. Llewellyn has published material for a very long time, and I can honestly say I may agree with what the subject matter proposes perhaps a fraction of the time. But I read them regardless because it helps me develop an understanding of the concepts and style of writing that I find most conducive to my own studies and interests, and which I'd rather toss into the trash heap.

But it also depends on what we're looking for. Some people are content with material based on life experience, whereas others are dissatisfied unless they are looking at well researched academic work. Which is why I like to extend my radius of readable material to an interdisciplinary array of interpretation as well as academia.

Zoness

I selected all choices. To clarify on the "generally accepted leaders" point, the extent there is reading books published by those far more knowledgeable than I, I don't believe there to be a strict hierarchy in place, because Paganism is too diverse anyways. :)