• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is heaven if not around the Earth?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I always had the idea of it being in another dimension, other times I think of it being in this same place, but just another world overlapping this one, and only the dead could see it.

But I'm not a believer in it at all, just a thought.

idea

Question Everything
Heaven is a state of mind.
Hell is a state of mind too.

here is back-of-the book glossary on it though if you want...
(Guide to the Scriptures | H Heaven.:Entry)

HEAVEN. See also Celestial Glory; Kingdom of God or Kingdom of Heaven; Paradise

The term heaven has two basic meanings in the scriptures. (1) It is the place where God lives and the future home of the Saints (Gen. 28:12; Ps. 11:4; Matt. 6:9). (2) It is the expanse around the earth (Gen. 1:1, 17; Ex. 24:10). Heaven is clearly not paradise, which is the temporary place for the faithful spirits of those who have lived and died on this earth. Jesus visited paradise after his death on the cross, but on the third day, he informed Mary that he had not yet been to the Father (Luke 23:39–44; John 20:17; D&C 138:11–37).

I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, Ps. 8:3. By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, Ps. 33:6. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer! Isa. 14:12 (2 Ne. 24:12). The heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll, Isa. 34:4. I create new heavens and a new earth, Isa. 65:17. God will open the windows of heaven, Mal. 3:10. Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Matt. 6:9 (3 Ne. 13:9). Paul was caught up to the third heaven, 2 Cor. 12:2. There was silence in heaven, Rev. 8:1 (D&C 88:95–98). If they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, Mosiah 2:41. Ye may be the children of your Father who is in heaven, 3 Ne. 12:45. I shall come in the clouds of heaven, D&C 45:16. Elijah was taken to heaven without tasting death, D&C 110:13. The rights of the priesthood are connected with the powers of heaven, D&C 121:36. There are two kinds of beings in heaven, D&C 129:1. Zion was taken up into heaven, Moses 7:23.

Awoon

Could be that's why I ask.

Could be a state of consciousness that manifest on Earth someday also.

Could be what mystics and sages want Human to realize it's here and now but not manifest.

idea

Question Everything
Could be a state of consciousness that manifest on Earth

To the extent that we can experience joy / happiness / peace within our own lives - heaven can be right here, right now. We have a little children's song "Home can be a heaven on Earth..." and there is truth in this - where there is love and friendship, there is heaven.

We believe that when we die, after another period of learning and judging (everyone gaining the same opportunity to learn everything) that there will be 3 final kingdoms -

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:41)
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

for us, the highest heaven is not about gold streets or mansions - it's about being together forever with the people you love - and we do not have to wait until after we die to be together with those we love - we can get married, and have great big happy families in the here and now :)

gnostic

The Lost One
The ancient Hebrews were no different from other civilisations and cultures of their time.

There are many references in the bible to the heaven in the sky, or that the home of the god is on the mountain top.

In Genesis 11, about the episode of the Tower of Babel, the people wanted to built a tower in their new city, which would reach to the heaven (sky). And then:

Genesis 11:5 said:
But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower the people were building.

Came "down" from where? It certainly suggest that the Lord came down from the sky, literally.

And Moses went up Mount Horeb (or Mount Sinai), several times, to meet with God, once with the burning bush (Exodus 3) and then again (Exodus 19) when he got the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20), when the Israelites had their camp at the foot of the mountain.

Exodus 3:1 said:
Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.

When Elijah was taken away, he went upwards, a literal ascension:

2 Kings 2:11 said:
As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.

The same happen in the gospels, in the Transfiguration episode. Jesus took Peter, James and John to the "high mountain", where they encountered Moses and Elijah. Then they heard God's voice from the cloud:

Matthew 17:5 said:
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Mark 9:7 said:
Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!”
Luke 9:34-35 said:
While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. 35 A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.”

And when Jesus ascended, it was upward towards the sky:
Acts 1:9-11 said:
9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. 10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

The Egyptians, Babylonians, Canaanites, Greeks, etc were the same. That heaven was in the sky or on the mountain top.

For the Egyptians, the pyramids were built for dead king to be resurrected and ascend, with the pyramid acting like stairway to heaven. This will allow the king to board the boat of the sun god, Re (or Ra), and become part of the crew, to sail across the sky.

The Canaanite gods, like El and Baal have their mansions built on top of the mountains.

In the Babylonian epic of Etana, Etana, the king of Kish, flew up into the sky, mounted on the eagle, to reach the home of the gods, where he will find the plant of birth from the goddess Ishtar (Sumerian Inana). Inana's name means "Queen of Heaven". Her name derived from her father, who was either An (or Babylonian Anu, which means "Heaven") or Nanna god of the moon.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Well we are physical and live in a physical universe. But where are we? Somewhere that we named? Does the land divided by lines on a map know where it is?

it is a concept, not a place.

there are no desriptions of such a place because no one has ever gone there.

its just like the possibility that when you die you will get some virgins to have your way with.

its a concept born of mythology

Awoon

Where is (objective) evidence that we are physical?

(Hint: Reference imagination)

Heaven is within. Heaven is now here.

May as well ask, 'where is here?'

Where are you? Tell me and I'll come and pull some of yer teeth out without Novocaine, OK? Then We'll see if yer physical.

No screaming allowed.:no:

Hi! In many texts, the “heavens” stand for God himself and his sovereign position. His throne is in the heavens, that is, in the spirit realm over which he also rules. -Psalm 103:19.
The spiritual heavens are also the “proper dwelling place” of God’s spirit sons. (Jude 6; Ge 28:12,*13; Mt 18:10; 24:36)

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Heaven is real, not a state of mind. But the Bible doesn't say where it is, so we don't know. Although I don't see how it could be on this physical plane.

AdamEve

That's like asking where is the mind or where is this thought?
Both mind and thought are in the brain.
Specific thought, like me thinking about car, physicaly exists as collection of certain neurons in certain chemical states. In the same time other group o neurons would contain thought about something else.
If you remove brain you remove thoughts because you can't think with heart, or leg or some other part of the body.