• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to move?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
My wife and I have had several discussions about moving. We missed the housing boom here in Southern California and are being pushed into bad neighborhoods. I've been around that mess all my life and I don't want this for my family. So I either magically win the lottery, or I find a better place to raise my family. Not even an increase in pay would cut it here anymore. On average a mortgage payment is about 3,500 for a 3 bedroom home.

So I figured I'd ask about nice places to move to out of state or in the state of California.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Victor said:
My wife and I have had several discussions about moving. We missed the housing boom here in Southern California and are being pushed into bad neighborhoods. I've been around that mess all my life and I don't want this for my family. So I either magically win the lottery, or I find a better place to raise my family. Not even an increase in pay would cut it here anymore. On average a mortgage payment is about 3,500 for a 3 bedroom home.

So I figured I'd ask about nice places to move to out of state or in the state of California.

OK, so I'd ask a few questions:

What are the limitations when it comes to your work?

How urban/suburban/rural area would you like to be in? Would you prefer a small city over a major metro area?

What are your weather preferences -- warm/cold, dry/wet.

Having lived near a coast, do you need to stay within reasonable driving distance of the coast, or at least a serious body of water? I have too many friends that couldn't stand to be truly inland.

What sorts of things do you like to do in your spare time or with the family?

Did you want to send your kids to Catholic schools?

Smoke

Done here.
I'm sad to say my native state of Florida is shot to hell; I wouldn't live there anymore if you paid me by the hour.

I've been all over the state of Pennsylvania, and I think just about anywhere in Pennsylvania is a good place to live, with the exception of Philadelphia. I also like Wisconsin and what I've seen of Michigan.

If you're looking for warmer climes, I was as impressed with Galveston as any place I've been in the South, though I was looking at it as a tourist and not as somebody going there to raise a family.

South Carolina has low property values; people sell their cottages in Massachusetts and move here and build mansions with the proceeds. It's not a good place for liberals or people with allergies, so it doesn't suit me well, but it might work for you.

Quiddity

Booko said:
What are the limitations when it comes to your work?
Finish school. Which I am taking slow at the moment. Anything more then 2 classes takes way too much time away from the family. But even after completing my Bachelor's the pay just wouldn't cut it. It's rather unbalanced with the housing market.
Booko said:
How urban/suburban/rural area would you like to be in? Would you prefer a small city over a major metro area?
Definately not rural. Either urban or suburban will do.
Booko said:
What are your weather preferences -- warm/cold, dry/wet.
This is a tough one cause my wife loves the sun and I wish it to just hide behind the clouds. How about half and half....:D
Booko said:
Having lived near a coast, do you need to stay within reasonable driving distance of the coast, or at least a serious body of water? I have too many friends that couldn't stand to be truly inland.
Never given much tought to this....hmm
Probably within a couple hours drive at least. Knowing my wife. She can't swim, but loves water. Go figure..
Booko said:
What sorts of things do you like to do in your spare time or with the family?
Cow tippin.....he he....:D
We love dancing and like family oriented parks and such.
Booko said:
Did you want to send your kids to Catholic schools?
Either one is fine.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Victor said:
I can sympathise with you, Victor. The housing market in S. Cali is horrendously expensive. I have no idea how anyone ever buys a home. The house we live in is worth $200,000 here in Oregon. In California it would sell for $600-700K. It's crazy. I grew up in Huntington Beach and left 20 years ago moving north to Oregon. I have never regretted it for a minute.

Ashland, Oregon where my daughter goes to college is a wonderful town just a few miles over the border from California. Not as much rain as further north, yet skiing is available close by. Ashland is a theater town with several plays a day to choose from (my daughter majors in theatre arts at SOU). Not sure what occupational opportunities you are looking for but, if you need further information about Oregon just PM me. :)

http://www.ashlandchamber.com/splash/

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am a bit prejudiced in that I live in this natural wonderland that is the Pacific Northwest. I do love both Washington state and Oregon. Colorado is nice too. Arizona is a bit hot for me as there was a good reason I chose to be born in a rain forest.

Depending on your skills, I am sure you could fit in nicely in Washington or Oregon. (I love Seaside and Cannon Beach areas... and Tilamook (sp)...) PLUS... if you move to Oregon you would be a "neighbour" to Buttercup. Things don't get much better than that. :)

Quiddity

MidnightBlue said:
I'm sad to say my native state of Florida is shot to hell; I wouldn't live there anymore if you paid me by the hour.

I've been all over the state of Pennsylvania, and I think just about anywhere in Pennsylvania is a good place to live, with the exception of Philadelphia. I also like Wisconsin and what I've seen of Michigan.

If you're looking for warmer climes, I was as impressed with Galveston as any place I've been in the South, though I was looking at it as a tourist and not as somebody going there to raise a family.

South Carolina has low property values; people sell their cottages in Massachusetts and move here and build mansions with the proceeds. It's not a good place for liberals or people with allergies, so it doesn't suit me well, but it might work for you.

I am surrounded by liberals....:D
Aren't they the fun one's or something.....:run:

I went to Massachusetts once on business and thought it was lovely. All those trees and some white smoke all over the place. What do they call that? Fog? lol

Quiddity

Buttercup said:
I can sympathise with you, Victor. The housing market in S. Cali is horrendously expensive. I have no idea how anyone ever buys a home. The house we live in is worth $200,000 here in Oregon. In California it would sell for $600-700K. It's crazy. I grew up in Huntington Beach and left 20 years ago moving north to Oregon. I have never regretted it for a minute.
Huntington Beach is even worse. Average house is well over 700k. You did wise in leaving.
Buttercup said:
Ashland, Oregon where my daughter goes to college is a wonderful town just a few miles over the border from California. Not as much rain as further north, yet skiing is available close by. Ashland is a theater town with several plays a day to choose from (my daughter majors in theatre arts at SOU). Not sure what occupational opportunities you are looking for but, if you need further information about Oregon just PM me. :)

http://www.ashlandchamber.com/splash/

Looks beautiful. I'll take a look thanks.

Quiddity

YmirGF said:
I am a bit prejudiced in that I live in this natural wonderland that is the Pacific Northwest. I do love both Washington state and Oregon. Colorado is nice too. Arizona is a bit hot for me as there was a good reason I chose to be born in a rain forest.

Depending on your skills, I am sure you could fit in nicely in Washington or Oregon. (I love Seaside and Cannon Beach areas... and Tilamook (sp)...) PLUS... if you move to Oregon you would be a "neighbour" to Buttercup. Things don't get much better than that. :)

Sold!
We drop off the kids at BC's house and me and the wife can go dancing.....: hamster :

BTW, I'm a big rain forest type of guy too.

Ðanisty

Well, what are you going to school for? If you want to be on or near the coast, have you thought much of the east coast? Housing is so much more affordable down here. Plus, if you like rain forest climate, you can't beat the humidity down here.

evearael

Hmmm... there is only one place I can speak from experience. I had a three bedroom house in Chesterfield, Virginia that I bought for $107,000.00. I sold it in January for $124,000. Chesterfield schools are pretty good and it was a safe place to grow up. There are plenty of trees and parks around. The James River is lovely. You would be three hours away from anything interesting... beaches to the east, mountains to the west and DC to the north. On the down side, Chesterfield is run by a bunch of horrid narrow-minded realtors who are only interested with lining their pockets. It's also on the conservative side.

Of course, you could always join the military and be given a four bedroom house, and if you select a job like ground linguist for the Air Force you will very rarely deploy.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
There are some REALLY nice houses in Hemet if you want to stay in Southern California at an affordable price. The only problem is that you'll be in Hemet.

Faint

Victor said:
Huntington Beach is even worse. Average house is well over 700k. You did wise in leaving.
Heeeey now...I like Huntington Beach! Nice waves north of the pier...lots of hot young women-folk. Clean community. But I guess it is a bit pricey, like most of SoCal. Seriously, to live here you really need to be into the lifestyle that SoCal offers...the nightlife, Hollywood scene, culture, shopping, models, cutting edge everything...otherwise you're throwing your money away. I'm often amazed by how much money is out here...so many mansion communities, expensive cars on the freeways. Of course, I also wonder how many of those people are in serious debt, or got their money by exploiting other people.

Sorry, I've travelled a lot but I like it here, so I have no really good recommendations for you as I think most states are pale imitations of California. If you want a laid back, green, plantlife & animals, away-from-cities-and-civilization lifestyle, you might want to look intoMaine. It's still pretty much a sleepy wilderness Christian state (and inexpensive). Bonus...anywhere you go on the East Coast will think you're the coolest thing ever because you're from Cali...seriously...one of the first questions you'll get, "have you ever met anyone famous?" They'll be in AWE of you. You could have your own cult! Like, "I once saw Angelina Jolie shopping on Melrose...worship me!" Represent, Victor. West SIDE!

Or if you like rainforests the best you're going to find are in Hawaii, but that's not exactly cheap housing either...so I guess that doesn't help. Or if you're not trying to settle down, and want to invest in a house and watch the property value skyrocket...Vegas baby, Vegas.

Booko

Deviled Hen
MidnightBlue said:

That's been my impression of all of these places also. But I asked about jobs because that's an issue in all of those places.

Galveston has a big target painted on it...I wouldn't move anywhere in the Gulf Coast, nor most of the Southern Atlantic coast, except the GA coast, which for some reasons misses the big 'uns.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Ðanisty said:
Well, what are you going to school for? If you want to be on or near the coast, have you thought much of the east coast? Housing is so much more affordable down here. Plus, if you like rain forest climate, you can't beat the humidity down here.
What she said. :D Seriously, in most parts of Georgia houses are still reasonable. With metro Atlanta, you could have urban, suburban, AND rural all within about 20 miles if you head in the right directions.

As for climate, we have plenty of sunshine, but we still have decent tree cover so it's not tough to find shade. You wouldn't need snow tires as we seem to average 0.182" of snow/ice/sleet per year, but the few days when they forecast it the whole city shuts down. :biglaugh:

We have plenty of schools where you could finish that degree. Georgia is mostly conservative, but there are pockets of liberals in case you need to see some.

Last week, RK:hugkiss: & I walked through some brand new 4-5 bedroom houses over 4,000 sq ft for around $400k. I don't even want to know how much that would run in SOCAL.:help:

Anyway, much success with the decision.

lunamoth

Will to love
St. Louis county has terrible weather in the summer and St. Louis itself is not an attractive city (Gateway to the West! We're more than just half of a McDonald's arch). But it is relatively inexpensive to live there and it has a lot of offerings for families. I've heard of more than one person moving from So Cal to Missouri because the way of life is so much cheaper and better.

Colorado has great weather and the mountains are beautiful and offer lots of outdoor attractions, but it is still fairly expensive to live here. Plus you'd be in shouting distance of Uncle Sunstone (not sure if that is a plus or minus).

Do not move to New Jersey.

Upstate NY is beautiful but the taxes are very high and the weather is iffy most of the year. I'd move back there in a heartbeat. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Victor said:
Finish school. Which I am taking slow at the moment. Anything more then 2 classes takes way too much time away from the family. But even after completing my Bachelor's the pay just wouldn't cut it. It's rather unbalanced with the housing market.

My brother lived in San Luis Obispo years ago, and had the same problem. Unless you want to live in a pup tent, who can afford it?

This is a tough one cause my wife loves the sun and I wish it to just hide behind the clouds. How about half and half....
The Southeast will give you some of each. :)

Never given much tought to this....hmm
Probably within a couple hours drive at least. Knowing my wife. She can't swim, but loves water. Go figure..
It's a big issue for some, more than people might expect. I never realized it until I moved here, because I never lived near the ocean.

But I lived within a short drive of Lake Michigan, which is essentially the same thing minus the salt. There are no serious lakes in Georgia, and I really really miss that. Even though I'm no beach bum by any means.

Cow tippin.....he he....:D
We love dancing and like family oriented parks and such.
I just got a "Cow Tipping Champion" t-shirt from a restaruant in Michigan that we like to stop at when we can. :D

If a good Catholic community and schools are a issue, cities in Illinois and Michigan will do well. You can't beat the Catholic community in Detroit. Don't be afraid of the place -- it has a bad rap that's really quite unjustified.

I'm not sure what line of work you're looking at, but there's a lot of business that's grown up in Southfield and Farmington that isn't tied to the auto industry.

And you have lots of water and family-oriented parks.

You could always move into Milford next to my husband's uincle. Maybe you'll find Jimmy Hoffa where the feds failed earlier this year. :monkey:

Being a stone's throw from Canada is really very nice too. We used to go into Ontario all the time.

I would suggest Champaign-Urbana for a small city in Illinois. It's a college town, so has interesting things to do and good job market. It has two drawbacks that I can see -- in the summer, the heat can rip through Texas and right over C-U. Toasty, to say the least. The other is, it's a 2 hour drive to Chicago, which is where all the fun and water is.