• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to visit West USA?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Except that is Goleta.

Well, technically so is IV. But like most university campuses and college towns UCSB/Isla Vista is it's own little world.

And which beach in Goleta? Campus Point or Goleta Beach?

Goleta Beach. I used to go right through it every morning on my way to the UC.

Favorite Restaurant?

Well, it isn't a restaurant exactly but I like the patio in front of the Co-op in IV (at least in the summer when most of the kids are gone). :D

Mesa Lane and 1,000 steps are also less populated but if you have a dog everyone knows the Pit is nice- But I do like Ellwood Mesa better than the Douglas preserve. How about you?

I've been out to Ellwood a cpl of times but not the Douglas preserve so I can't compare. Ellwood's nice though.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I've been out to Ellwood a cpl of times but not the Douglas preserve so I can't compare. Ellwood's nice though.

Well the Douglas preserve is definitely worth a visit- it overlooks the pit (hendry's beach).

go up to the Mesa from Las Positas make your first right, then turn right again. Not like Elwood, but it is nice nonetheless. And if you have dog's it is another off leash area.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Nice, which part?

I have family living in New Jersey but relocating to Virginia. I also have a cousin in Seattle after he studied in Eckerd,Fl.
I've only been to New York and New Jersey, even in New York I have only visited Manhattan,Staten Island and (I believe) Queens (that's the one across the river)?

I used to be quite into Florida as a kid but i've kinda grown out of theme parks,etc. Not that I wouldn't go, but i'd prefer to see the cities and relax on the beaches.

I also asked for Hispanic culture because i've been to some really cool Brazilian parties and I love the taste of Brazilian and Mexican food, particularly Brazilian carvery (love the seasoning on the meat/ the bean and pork stews Latinos eat)

Stop off and see your cousin in Seattle. Oh, and try to get a window seat on the plane when flying over the western US. The geography is incredible! :yes:

I'd skip the Grand Canyon and go see Hell's Canyon in Idaho instead.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Hell's+Canyon&qpvt=Hell's+Canyon&FORM=IGRE

Last edited:

ronki23

SB is almost 100 miles north of LA so I'm not sure how conveinant that would be.

I haven't been in Hollywood in more than 25 years so I'm probably not the best person to ask. All I know is that it was a pretty seedy place back then and from what I hear it hasn't gotten any better.

Understandable. Maybe the best thing to do would be to book a tour (?)

Venice is pretty seedy too. :p

Is there enough to do in Santa Barbara for over a week? If I were to stay there, i'd give a day to go to Hollywood,2 days to go to Los Angeles (alternative) and a day to one of the national parks.

As you say Santa Barbara is full of Hispanic culture, I assume lots of yummy Brazilian and Mexican food and nice Salsa/Samba parties??

I'd probably go:

1. (day I get there) Santa Barbara
2. Santa Barbara
3. Los Angeles
4.Santa Barbara
5. Hollywood
6.Santa Barbara
7. Santa Barbara OR National Park [i'm not too fussed here]
8. Los Angeles
9. Depart for Vegas to stay for 3 nights
12.Grand Canyon

Curious George

Veteran Member
Is there enough to do in Santa Barbara for over a week? If I were to stay there, i'd give a day to go to Hollywood,2 days to go to Los Angeles (alternative) and a day to one of the national parks.

As you say Santa Barbara is full of Hispanic culture, I assume lots of yummy Brazilian and Mexican food and nice Salsa/Samba parties??

I'd probably go:

1. (day I get there) Santa Barbara
2. Santa Barbara
3. Los Angeles
4.Santa Barbara
5. Hollywood
6.Santa Barbara
7. Santa Barbara OR National Park [i'm not too fussed here]
8. Los Angeles
9. Depart for Vegas to stay for 3 nights
12.Grand Canyon

Not so much with the Brazilian food.

Slapstick

I am from the UK and 10 years ago I visited New York,New Jersey and Toronto. I LOVE Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty is fantastic. I have visited France,Dubai and China (Shanghai,Xi'an and Beijing) before but USA is my favourite place in the world!!!

I wish to visit the West USA, particularly:

California
LA
Hollywood
Beverley Hills

Arizona

Grand Canyon

Nevada
Las Vegas

I am thinking of doing 5 days in the state of California, 5 days in Vegas and 2 days at the Grand Canyon.

As I want to do it in a total of 2 weeks, would Beverley Hills be worth it? Or should I replace Beverley Hills with San Francisco? It all seems very far away (Google shows over 4 hours between San Francisco,Los Angeles,Las Vegas and Grand Canyon in a car!!!!)
Visit Old faithful at Yellowstone. View all of the geysers and springs, it is like walking on another planet. Then go to Vegas or the Florida Keys.

ronki23

Stop off and see your cousin in Seattle. Oh, and try to get a window seat on the plane when flying over the western US. The geography is incredible! :yes:

I'd skip the Grand Canyon and go see Hell's Canyon in Idaho instead.
Hell's Canyon - Bing Images

Sorry for late reply but why Hell's Canyon instead? Of my latest 12 points I may replace Grand Canyon with Hell's

Also, are Vegas;LA and Grand Canyon a train ride away from one another because it may sway my decision.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Sorry for late reply but why Hell's Canyon instead?
Just my personal preference. More mountains! :D
Also, are Vegas;LA and Grand Canyon a train ride away from one another because it may sway my decision.
Train from LA to Flagstaff, AZ is about 12 hours. Train from Vegas to Flagstaff, AZ is about 9 hours. I'm not sure if you can get a train to Lewiston, ID or Clarkston, WA for Hell's Canyon. It's about 900 miles from Las Vegas, whereas Flagstaff, AZ is only about 250 miles from Vegas.

Aimsd

The islands of Hawaii is very good place to visit . It is very beautiful beaches, bubbling volcanoes, and the unique Hawaiian culture lure millions of travelers to the Aloha State year after year.