• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which aspect of modern liberalism are you most comfortable with?

Pick one or I will eat your babies

• Community of wealth

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Social tolerance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Progressive nature of thought

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Peace

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environmental/Animal concern

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other [Please state]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Combination [Please state]

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I refuse to pick one, as I have no babies for you to eat.

Thier are several issues I am comfortable being associated with. Allthough I don't like to label myself under a political party, if I had to pick one, liberalism would be it.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
On the spectrum of issues, which are you most comfortable with associating yourself to liberalism on?

I voted for "Progressive nature of thought" (I liked the sound of that. ;-))

Politically, I prefer to think of myself as a "progressive with liberal tendencies"--©2007.

Regarding some "issues", I don't know if I'm in line with "liberalism" or not.

I believe that a free society is best represented by the least amount of restrictions imposed upon individual liberties. Is that a "liberal", or a "conservative" view?

I believe in personal accountability/responsibility in what one says and does. Is that a "liberal", or a "conservative" view?

I believe that a person is better defined by their deeds, than by their espoused "beliefs". Is that a "liberal", or a "conservative" view?

I believe in the rule of law as established within a tolerant pluralistic society of secular goals and aspirations. Is that a "liberal" or a "conservative" view?

I believe that human reason uncovers the possibilities of yet unearthed discovery/knowledge; and serves to promote intellectual inquiry, personal reflection, and indeterminate, yet estimably retainable truths. Is that a "liberal", or a "conservative" view?

I believe in the value and wonder of existence in this moment in time. Is that a "liberal", or a "conservative" view?

To be sure, I can be readily enough "tagged" as a "liberal" on specified (ie., divisive) social "issues" (like abortion, flag-burning, aspects of "religion vs. government", etc.), yet I favor strict enforcement of established immigration policies, the "death penalty", and current ("on the books") gun control laws. I favor competence and credibility over ideology and idiosyncrasies in our democratically elected representatives.

I believe that reason should prevail over "feelings" rooted in primal fear, abject ignorance, or testimonials of "truth" borne of faith-based beliefs/claims. Is that a "liberal" or a "conservative" view?

I believe in the promise of a freethinking society unbound by the shackles of superstition, myth, or ancient sociological/spiritual mandates of imposed conscience...as a matter of reasonable course and applied law.

I believe that history provides the well-mapped minefield of our specie's failings; serving as instruction and guide in contemporary existent experience...and not as a primer of advocacy of regression towards some retrograde idealism/nirvana of a "lost golden age", or inferred "penultimate benchmark" of mankind's inconspicuous trek within a knowable existence...and mankind's indomitable perseverance in expression of each individual self today.

It's simplistic enough to observe "Cogito, ergo sum"; but I can appreciate that particular grandiose (albeit intimidating) summation on it's merits alone. Is that a "liberal" estimation or a "conservative" one?

As I noted in another post, we are here to dream of the impossible, and to touch the unreachable star. If that's "liberalism", then I'll be pleased enough to wear the badge.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have been a British version of Liberal all my life
It is a philosophy that embraces virtually all the above .
Could be embraced by fairness to nature to the world and to each other.
It does not mean being an easy touch, or equal shares for all.
Fairness is not giving to those who demand, It does though recognise true need.

standing_alone

I love all of those things listed. To me, all of them are inter-connected. Without social tolerance, for example, you couldn't have peace, but without having a progressive nature of thought, you would never acheive social tolerance. Really, it's that progressive nature of thought that leads to all of the others, in my opinion, and so if I had to choose one, that would be it.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
On the spectrum of issues, which are you most comfortable with associating yourself to liberalism on?
The thing that I associate most with liberalism is the ideal that all human beings have inherent worth.

To quote Jefferson:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men (and women) are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Which means that no one should have to do anything to earn the right to be considered equal. Whether one believes in a Creator or not, liberals believe that we are born with these rights. And what I take from the right to "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" is the ability to live up to our full potentials. Yes, we are born with differing abilities but all of us should be allowed the opportunity to make what we will of ourselves.

From this it follows that any system or structure that serves to get in the way of our ability to flourish is wrong and needs to be dismantled.

Therefore, we advocate the sharing of wealth, in the knowledge that poverty impedes a persons ability to develop to their full potential.

Therefore, we advocate social tolerance, in the belief that the diversity of beliefs, perspectives, orientations, etc. that comes forth naturally from human existence has inherent worth. It does not need to be restrained by some external normative standards.

Therefore, we advocate progressive thought, again in the belief that what humans think/create has inherent worth. It does not need to be restrained. Liberalism is an optimistic view of humanity.

Therefore, we advocate the pursuit of peace, for certainly the devastation of war and violence in general impedes people's abilities to develop to their full potentials.

Therefore, we advocate concern for other animals and the environment in general, in the belief that the inherent worth that is in humanity is in other animals and the environment as well. That in fact the distinction between "us" and "them" is a false one.