• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which deities are associated with the scent of rose water?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I woke up to the strong scent of rosewater during the hypnopompic state (between sleep and awakening.) I haven't consciously associated any specific deity with the scent of rosewater, so what are the associations streaming along in the collective unconscious?

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Aphrodite. Maybe love is in the air?
That was my thought, too, on who...

I don't know why, but I associate her with dreams. If I had a bad day, and need a good dream, I can sometimes ask her for one(and receive). They're not necessarily love dreams, though.

I think she's more complex than sometimes given credit for.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
That was my thought, too, on who...

I don't know why, but I associate her with dreams. If I had a bad day, and need a good dream, I can sometimes ask her for one(and receive). They're not necessarily love dreams, though.

I think she's more complex than sometimes given credit for.
She is a goddess of love but she's also a comforter. Most deities are jacks of different, often related, trades.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Mary is not a deity per se according to the Catholic church, but she is considered a saint by the Catholic church. She is definitely affiliated with roses, hence the, errr, ROSARY. She may come see you. Please keep me posted!

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
...theres a story of Buddha and a rose. I forgot it tho

Edit: I've never read this book but I've seen it before looking up books for kids doing my homework

Maybe there's a myth the story is based on? It apparently is a story about mindfulness

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
TRUE STORY TIME! (Though unfortunately it doesn't have anything to do with roses)

My dad and I were cleaning things out of my grandmother's attic, because she had died a few months earlier, which was very upsetting to me. Now, I know my dad kept EVERYTHING in a file, EVERYTHING, and I knew he had a file on me, and that it was easy to get to, though I hadn't been thru it. Anyway, I thought I had seen everything in my grandmother's house many times. So I was sitting near the opening to the attic, handing boxes down to my dad, and I said, "Dad, I really really need my baptismal certificate," and though he was opposed to me converting to Catholicism, he sighed and said, "Ok, Ok, I know where it is and I'll get it for you." The very next box I opened contained a strange porcelain figurine of the Virgin Mary, that I'd never seen before and I said, "Dad, have you ever seen this before?" He said no. RIGHT BENEATH IT WAS MY BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE. No lie. I didn't even much care for the Virgin Mary but she got my attention that day for SURE. In fact, she was my sticking point when it came to converting. I still have that porcelain figurine of course. I have no idea how or if my grandmother ever had it in her possession but it's mine now for sure.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Alright, I'm going to take this that I need to be mindful of something within my unconscious mind regarding desire and subjugation (Tibetan Buddhist Padma family.) Thank you! Ya'll have been a great help! :purpleheart:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I think there's more to her than just sex, though.

She's incredibly intelligent, and she moves quite freely, even if others wish she didn't.

And while she's an Olympian, she strikes me as a bit of an outcast.
She also has war aspects, as her consort is Ares and was sometimes depicted as a war goddess in her own right.

Deities are very multifaceted beings. They're never just one thing.