• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which denominations are the most 'New Testament'?

DavyCrocket2003

I know that Catholic and Episcopalian scholars don't believe that - in fact, anyone who has a cursory knowledge of the early church and the church fathers can trace significant developments in church organization and theology.

The theologies of the Church have changed significantly over the years, typically about 20 years [and sometimes a lot longer] behind popular philosophy.

The early church is not something to try and immulate.

Does this way of thinking kind of make you an odd duck in your profession?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Traditional Christianity holds that the NT is most authoritative for teaching and instruction in a Christian life, but that the OT is important in that it contains parables, lessons, and metaphors forshadowing the NT. The OT is not seen on the same level as the NT.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I know that Catholic and Episcopalian scholars don't believe that - in fact, anyone who has a cursory knowledge of the early church and the church fathers can trace significant developments in church organization and theology.

The theologies of the Church have changed significantly over the years, typically about 20 years [and sometimes a lot longer] behind popular philosophy.

The early church is not something to try and immulate.

certainly , while the Anglicans would claim links to the early church through both the Celtic and Catholic churches, and there is significant evidence of even earlier links to the Coptic monastic tradition dating from the 200's AD we know we are not following some fossilised religion, but are part of a living one that makes itself relevant to each new generation.

We still learn much from Jesus teachings, and they can easily be show to have relevance to modern living, but perhaps in ways that would surprise an early church father.

It is true that Heretic members, like myself, who have moved perhaps faster than most from the traditional ( 18th century ) CofE, do not represent much in the way of a proportion of the church today. However we do perhaps lay on a trend line in the direction it is going.

Is this good or Bad ? who knows... it may be a false trail.... but it is a live one.

DavyCrocket2003

So my question is, would it be of value to you to know what Christianity looked like originally? Is that an important question? Or are you cool with the idea that each new generation of Christianity kind of redefines itself?

A

angellous_evangellous

So my question is, would it be of value to you to know what Christianity looked like originally? Is that an important question? Or are you cool with the idea that each new generation of Christianity kind of redefines itself?

That's simply an historical fact.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yeah I know. But does that bother you at all? That's what I'm asking. Not "does change happen," but "what do you think about this change?"

No, in the sense that Christianity must be continually changing and evolving to meet the needs of people "in the now."

However, there are some Christianities that diverge so far from traditional Christianity that they can IMHO not be considered Christians. The Christianity behind Nazism and the KKK and perhaps even a few "health and wealth" folks have completely replaced the Gospel with their idols.