• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which great religious leaders were not?

Audie

Veteran Member

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I think all the religious leaders were normal and truthful. The greatest spiritual teacher imo being God held back the truth from mankind to protect us imo.

danieldemol

Premium Member
" Either a lunatic or a liar,as per the saying
The earlier ones may have been more grounded then built up after their death given that they lived in a time when people's understanding of the world was poor and stories spread orally although delusion may have been present there as well in my opinion.

The later ones in modern history that can be reliably said to have narrated their own grandeur are definitely a combination of either delusional and/or liars though in my view.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I Googled , " Which great religious leaders were not , either a lunatic or a liar as per the saying", and I got following:

Regards

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmm.

Hmm.

No, surely Rasputin was the real deal?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I don't Siddy had a psychotic disorder.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The expression of CS Lewis that Jesus must have been either lord, liar, or lunatic rests on certain unproven assumptions--that the gospels are historically accurate. Most scholars would say that the authors of the gospels merely collected all of the available stories about Jesus without regard to sifting out those stories which were legends or myths.
You website is interesting.

There is a lecture by Dr Robert Sapolsky (Stanford) on the nature of religion and its relationship to behavioral biology. He makes a distinction between schizophrenic (a psychotic condition uniformly shunned around the world) and schizotypal behavior (similar but less severe). His theory is that a schizotypal condition may have indeed underlied the behaviors of the tribal shaman or religious prophet.

So what would be the difference? Schizotypal personality is the recessive, milder variation of Schizophrenia. The features of the schizotypal personality are concreteness, meta-magical thinking, social withdrawal, and loose associations (more than normal, but not in the schizophrenic range).

The importance of context cannot be overemphasized. You don't want a person speaking in tongues in the middle of a silent hunt. When someone exhibits meta-magical thinking, they have to do it in the right place, right time, and right manner. When they don't, as in schizophrenia, they are universally marginalized. The schizotypal personality will converse with the spirits, but only in the socially appropriate manner. A schizophrenic will hear voices, but in all the wrong contexts.

The following video is quite long, I know, but I strongly encourage anyone truly interested in this topic to at least check it out for 5 minutes or so and see if you don't want to enjoy the whole thing.

Audie

Veteran Member

I Googled , " Which great religious leaders were not , either a lunatic or a liar as per the saying", and I got following:

Regards
and so?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
OK then, " 'Siddy', you're joking."

I wonder if he, or "Jesus" ftm, would
recognize who they've become.
That would indeed be interesting. Since fundamental to Buddhism are ideas of change and impermanence I should think Siddhartha would not be too surprised at what he'd "become" two thousand years later.

Audie

Veteran Member
That would indeed be interesting. Since fundamental to Buddhism are ideas of change and impermanence I should think Siddhartha would not be too surprised at what he'd "become" two thousand years later.
So too with geology and evolution.

How much of what kind of change tho-!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
psychiatryonline.org

The Role of Psychotic Disorders in Religious History Considered | The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences

The authors have analyzed the religious figures Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and St. Paul from a behavioral, neurologic, and neuropsychiatric perspective to determine whether new insights can be achieved about the nature of their revelations. Analysis reveals that these individuals had experiences...
psychiatryonline.org
www.thegospelcoalition.org

Is C.S. Lewis's Liar-Lord-or-Lunatic Argument Unsound?

C. S. Lewis, following in the train of those who preceded him, argued along these lines: (1) If Jesus were not Lord, he would be a liar or a lunatic. (2) Jesus was neither a liar nor a lunatic. (3) Therefore, Jesus is Lord. But this argument is unsound, because the first premise is false...

What is norm and what is normal, please, one may like to define, please, right?
And what is the criterion/criteria to know as against it a lunatic and or a liar please, right?

Regards
c. 1500, "typical, common;" 1640s, in geometry, "standing at a right angle, perpendicular," from Late Latin normalis "in conformity with rule, normal," in classical Latin "made according to a carpenter's square," from norma "rule, pattern," literally "carpenter's square," a word of unknown origin (see norm). Meaning "conforming to common standards or established order or usage, regular, usual" is attested from 1828 but probably is older than the record [Barnhart].
Meaning "heterosexual" is by 1914. As a noun meaning "usual state or condition," from 1890 (in geometry as "a perpendicular" from 1727). Sense of "a normal person or thing" is attested by 1894. Normal school "training college for teachers" (1835) is a translation of French école normale (1794), a creation of the French Republic; the notion is of "serving to set a standard." The U.S. city of Normal, Illinois, was named 1857 for the normal school established there.
Related entries & more
norm (n.)
"a standard, pattern, or model," 1821 (Coleridge), from French norme, from Latin norma "carpenter's square, rule, pattern," a word of unknown origin. Klein suggests a borrowing (via Etruscan) of Greek gnōmōn "carpenter's square." The Latin form of the word, norma, was used in English in the sense of "carpenter's square" from 1670s, also as the name of a small, faint southern constellation introduced 18c. by La Caille.
Related entries & more
normative (adj.)
"establishing or setting up a norm or standard which ought to be followed," 1880, perhaps from French normatif, from Latin norma "rule" (see normal).
Related entries & more
enormous (adj.)
1530s, "abnormal" (usually in a bad sense), from Latin enormis "out of rule, irregular, shapeless; extraordinary, very large," from assimilated form of ex "out of" (see ex-) + norma "rule, norm" (see norm), with English -ous substituted for Latin -is. Meaning "extraordinary in size" is attested from 1540s; original sense of "outrageous" is more clearly preserved in enormity. Earlier was enormyous (mid-15c.) "exceedingly great, monstrous." Related: Enormously; enormousness.
Related entries & more " https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=norm%2C+normal%2C+normative

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Is C.S. Lewis's Liar-Lord-or-Lunatic Argument Unsound?

C. S. Lewis, following in the train of those who preceded him, argued along these lines: (1) If Jesus were not Lord, he would be a liar or a lunatic. (2) Jesus was neither a liar nor a lunatic. (3) Therefore, Jesus is Lord. But this argument is unsound, because the first premise is false...

What is norm and what is normal, please, one may like to define, please, right?
And what is the criterion/criteria to know as against it a lunatic and or a liar please, right?

Regards
c. 1500, "typical, common;" 1640s, in geometry, "standing at a right angle, perpendicular," from Late Latin normalis "in conformity with rule, normal," in classical Latin "made according to a carpenter's square," from norma "rule, pattern," literally "carpenter's square," a word of unknown origin (see norm). Meaning "conforming to common standards or established order or usage, regular, usual" is attested from 1828 but probably is older than the record [Barnhart].
Meaning "heterosexual" is by 1914. As a noun meaning "usual state or condition," from 1890 (in geometry as "a perpendicular" from 1727). Sense of "a normal person or thing" is attested by 1894. Normal school "training college for teachers" (1835) is a translation of French école normale (1794), a creation of the French Republic; the notion is of "serving to set a standard." The U.S. city of Normal, Illinois, was named 1857 for the normal school established there.
Related entries & more
norm (n.)
"a standard, pattern, or model," 1821 (Coleridge), from French norme, from Latin norma "carpenter's square, rule, pattern," a word of unknown origin. Klein suggests a borrowing (via Etruscan) of Greek gnōmōn "carpenter's square." The Latin form of the word, norma, was used in English in the sense of "carpenter's square" from 1670s, also as the name of a small, faint southern constellation introduced 18c. by La Caille.
Related entries & more
normative (adj.)
"establishing or setting up a norm or standard which ought to be followed," 1880, perhaps from French normatif, from Latin norma "rule" (see normal).
Related entries & more
enormous (adj.)
1530s, "abnormal" (usually in a bad sense), from Latin enormis "out of rule, irregular, shapeless; extraordinary, very large," from assimilated form of ex "out of" (see ex-) + norma "rule, norm" (see norm), with English -ous substituted for Latin -is. Meaning "extraordinary in size" is attested from 1540s; original sense of "outrageous" is more clearly preserved in enormity. Earlier was enormyous (mid-15c.) "exceedingly great, monstrous." Related: Enormously; enormousness.
Related entries & more " https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=norm%2C+normal%2C+normative
"What is norm and what is normal, one may like to define, please, right?
And what is the criterion/criteria to know as against it (normal) a lunatic and or a liar please, right?"
Any body, please

Regards

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Buddha
Kurt Vonnegut (Bokononism)