• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which great religious leaders were not?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

"What is norm and what is normal, one may like to define, please, right?
And what is the criterion/criteria to know as against it (normal) a lunatic and or a liar please, right?"
Any body, please

Regards
You are having problems with English. Your question "Which great religious leaders were not" is an incomplete sentnece. It doesn't state WHAT they were not.

The word norm and normal are only very loosely related. A norm is something common, like it is the norm to wear a swimsuit at the beach. Normal can mean EITHER something that is very common (like a norma) or it can mean something that is healthy or acceptable, as in "It's not normal to eat bugs."

A lunatic is not normal -- they have a mental illness. Lying on the other hand is very normal, even if it is not good.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
#18,#19
norm (n.)
And what is the criterion/criteria to know as against it (normal) a lunatic and or a liar please, right?"
Any body, please
"Common, commoner, normal, norm, genius, lunatic"

In which category ^ one would fix/place Moses, please, right?

Regards

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems to me that we must always question and gauge the merits, pitfalls and shortcomings of each religious-leader-to-be.

Great or otherwise.

How else could we come to find them trustworthy or reliable... or even religious leaders at all?

There has never been a shortage of questionable and dangerous "candidates".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
#18,#19
norm (n.)
Any body, please

"Common, commoner, normal, norm, genius, lunatic"

In which category ^ one would fix/place Moses, please, right?
norm (n.)
"a standard, pattern, or model," 1821 (Coleridge), from French norme, from Latin norma "carpenter's square, rule, pattern," a word of unknown origin. Klein suggests a borrowing (via Etruscan) of Greek gnōmōn "carpenter's square." The Latin form of the word, norma, was used in English in the sense of "carpenter's square" from 1670s, also as the name of a small, faint southern constellation introduced 18c. by La Caille.
" a standard, pattern, or model" is always the best one, so I will place place Moses as the best "normal" person of the era he lived in, that is the why One G-d chose him for guidance, right, please??
Related entries & more

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Moses was the best "normal" person of the Israelites so G-d selected him for "His direct converse" and the guidance of the Israelites, right, please?

Regards
It never says why God chose Moses. That said, I have several comments:

Moses' reluctance to accept the task indicates incredible humility, a rare virtue.

Moses had some kind of speech impediment. Most people suggest he was a stutterer. It makes him an unusual choice.

To do the task that God asked, he would have had to have a considerable intelligence. That alone takes him out of the "normal" box.