• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is a Better Foundation for Morality, Nature or Belief in God?

Enoughie

do you agree with me that satan role is just like media role today?

24/7 propaganda will produce a stereotype, instigation and hatred.

they make neutral people send their sons to the war against "terror" :devil:

it can cange our good nature , however, we still have self satisfaction.

I don't see the benefit of politicizing this discussion. There are many aspects of our culture (and of other cultures as well) that are very destructive (to us and to others). Media may be one of them, but so is self-righteousness in religion(s).

Natural Philosophy of Life offers a simple, elegant, and powerful alternative to religious dogma. This philosophy has a firm foundation in nature, science, and reason, and it is centered on the core values of honesty, generosity, equality, and freedom

croak

Trickster
because they do not live by the same standard as we do...

one thing is for sure....if i were to compare our moral standards to animals...they don't lie.
Animals do lie, though. Some of them at least, ravens included. I'm a truthful raven, though. :) (I don't think I lied about that....)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Animals do lie, though. Some of them at least, ravens included. I'm a truthful raven, though. :) (I don't think I lied about that....)

yup... guess you're right,
this is cute...

Take for example Koko the Gorilla. When her handlers confronted her after she tore a steel sink out of its mooring, she signed "cat did it" and pointed at her innocent pet kitten.

Perhaps the Koko example lends credence to the idea that lying comes with language. The more elaborate the language, the more elaborate the lying. Koko has learned to sign over 1000 words. The more words she knows, the easier it is for her to lie. Perhaps all animals have within them the tendency to deceive, but only with language is that tendency able to fully blossom.

Many animals and insects have an inborn ability to camouflage themselves in order to hide from prey. Camouflage is a form of deception. It isn't in an animal's best interest to draw attention to itself. The more it blends, the longer it lives.

Is it possible that deception is not only a natural instinct of all living creatures, but that it is absolutely essential to survival? After all, those who lie (whether they be human or otherwise), often do so for their own gain - to avoid punishment, embarrassment, or harm.

Do Animals Lie?

i don't think nature or belief in god is a foundation for morality...
but maybe in our values...

edit:
emphasis by me

i thought what i highlighted was interesting...that truth draws attention to itself. so according to our values we either allow the truth to draw attention to itself or not. the truth of the matter is unavoidable...what my scales says about my weight, or i'm happy when someone walks in the room.
is deception, to others and or ourselves, considered as a defense mechanism in order to ensure our survival?
you betcha...

Last edited: