• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which non-God beings do you believe in

Check all that you believe in. Don't be afraid, in this forum no one will make fun. Explain in post

• Total voters

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I was inspired to develop this poll after watching videos of La Llorona witnesses. One site claimed that 60% of Mexicans have seen or heard her, but its the internet so how trustworthy is that? LOL I also find it fascinating that over 30% of the Irish believe in Leprechauns.

BTW, I accidently included Chupacabra with the shapeshifters. It should be with the scary evil creatures, but I'm unable to edit the poll.

I figure this forum is a good place to just have a great share without criticism.

Please elaborate your answers in a post.

As for me, I am uninclined to believe in these sort of beings, but I'm still open to the possibility, or something real behind the legends. La Llorona is definitely my favorite.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No supernatural entities whatsoever.

Although I _do_ find some rather interesting; I just don't believe that they exist.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Just brownies

IMG_7801.jpeg

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hello, I'm just another big hairy thing, passing through. Don't mind me... No reason for alarm. "Don't be afraid." It says so right there in the poll. :p

Screenshot_20240702_025255.jpg

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The closest answer to my beliefs is djinn, which include benevolent and malevolent entities (the latter being shayateen, or demons). "Ghosts and poltergeists" also fit the bill. I'm open enough to the idea that invisible or otherwise currently insufficiently understood beings exist to be ambivalent. I don't believe in them per se, due to the lack of rigorous evidence, but I also don't rule out the possibility that they're out there.

I believe any such beings would be natural rather than "supernatural," since, by definition, if they exist in this world, then they're part of the natural world; we just don't know much about them if they do.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Just brownies

On behalf of all the other big hairy things on planet earth, it is now my mission to advocate for the recognition of our existence. As if I didn't have enough world problems on my agenda which need to be solved.

Sheesh. I knew the world was broken, but, this is ridiculous.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't vote in the poll because I don't agree with the classification or some of the assumptions made in the classifications. Like, the vast majority of gods I worship are "nature spirits" in effect. Sun, Moon, etc. and non-supernatural and not particularly "believed in" in the manner meant (one does not "believe in" Sun or Forests existing). :shrug:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I hope no priest reads this.

I think Nature has its own spirits.
As Pocahontas said in in her song "but I know every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name".

They are created by God, so...God is still God, in my humble opinion.

ChieftheCef

I agree with Quintesence, but I also believe big foot is gigantopithicus species that were too fit to be wiped out by the younger dryas.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I hold to the possibility more so than believe in, Bigfoot as being some humanoid species that has managed not to become extinct, though in very small numbers.

Ghost and poltergeist would described what I think of as watchful spirits. I've encountered two, both in connection with my youngest son. The first was without question, in my mind, my deceased Mother. She let herself be known by me accidentally, but my 10 month old son knew her well enough to breakout in a grin and raise his arms to be picked up. I looked to the direction he was focused on thinking his father had slipped in quietly. There was no one there. I even walked down the hall and checked out the back door -- no one. A week later, at his next surgery, it dawned in me that Momma was watching over him.

Two years later in a different house, this same child spoke to me often about the old woman who was glad we were living in her house. It was my only experience of "spooky" but not scary. I always felt someone was watching me at the clothesline from the window on the stairwell landing. One night when I was the only one up, my son's musical book began playing. That book was stacked with others on top. I went to the boy's room and the music stopped, but I found the book still in the middle of the stack. Other little "oddities" occurred, but only in the front of the house around the old parlor and above.

So, I certainly believe in, in moderation, the unprovable and the unseeable.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
BTW, I accidently included Chupacabra with the shapeshifters. It should be with the scary evil creatures, but I'm unable to edit the poll.

I can edit for you. :) So Chupacabra should be in the category with "Demons, Jinn, Banshees, Wendigos, or other evil spirits"?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To add, I find it important to recognize how the construction of these categories is going to be highly dependent on culture. Putting Kami (which are straight up the gods in Shinto tradition) with totems (which are emblems/patrons of specific Native American tribes in the Pacific Northwest) and angels (which are intermediaries of the Abrahamic god) is just... very confusing to me because I am dimly aware of the cultural specificity and diversity of these various beings and concepts. I haven't done heavy study of this sort of folklore, but I know just enough to feel ill-at-ease with lumping stuff together, I guess? When I ran into the complexity of fae lore in particular during my religious studies, I was bewildered, backed away slowly, and went "yikes, going to leave this one alone."

Maybe an example of the mess this is in with the Pagan community specifically will help: Why Do We View Fairies As Nature Spirits? (FYI, Morgan is a fairly well-respected author in the community and they rightly cast criticism on how the modern concept of fairy is very, very different than traditional folklore and how this modern concept has bled into contemporary Paganism by way of pop culture)