• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religion Best Supports the Environment?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think the religion(s) that best supports the environment currently has to be First Nation and/or Pagan...........at least in the U.S.

Although, any religion that encourages active participation in the practice of permaculture is a religion that can best support the environment:

http://www.thefarm.org/

Anyone who doubts what the hippies from the '60s and '70s contributed for our welfare should check out the website. I plan on going sometime in the next few years to gain experience in self-sustainable living. Enough of conceptualizing...........I need to "get my hands dirty" beyond planting some pretty chrysanthemums out in front of our house!

Peace,
Mystic

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Given the 'global' significance of climate change together with other issues of environmental awareness the question of which religion best caters for them makes me feel rather despondent about religion as a whole. I guess I'd go with atheism/agnosticism being most supportive, in comparison.

Reactions: d.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
divine said:
frankly, i'm shocked nobody even mentioned (philosophical) taoism...
Hmm, maybe because its obscure to begin with and there aren't that many people who have explored it in much depth?

Philosophical Taoism is to my mind the most intrinsically 'supportive' of the environment amongst all religious doctrines. In terms of its influence, however, its relatively insignificant.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
My vote goes for Judaism. The Torah is full of laws concerning the environment. Torah is also very concerned with animal welfare as well.

*The Torah orders the creation of green belts around cities (Numbers 35:4)

*Laws against grafting diverse seeds and cross breeding animal species (Leviticus 19:19)

*A most dramatic ecological gesture is Shemita, the seventh year rest for the environment, when all fields lie fallow.

*Cruelty to animals is repeatedly prohibited in the Torah and the Talmud and later codes -- and is considered one of the seven Noahide Laws incumbent on all humankind.

*Two thousand years ago the Talmud (particularly Baba Batra chap.2) extensively covers the regulation against atmospheric, water and even noise pollution, and arising from Deuteronomy (23:12) issues of waste disposal.

*Tu b'Shvat (The new year for trees is celebrated by planting trees.

http://www.aish.com/tubshvat/tubshvatinterests/Judaism_and_the_Environment.asp

d.

_______
Scarlett Wampus said:
Hmm, maybe because its obscure to begin with and there aren't that many people who have explored it in much depth?

Philosophical Taoism is to my mind the most intrinsically 'supportive' of the environment amongst all religious doctrines. In terms of its influence, however, its relatively insignificant.

you're absolutely correct - i think we interpreted the question in the OP differently though. :)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Gentoo said:
Sometimes the term Paganism refers to any religion that is not Abrahamic in origin, and Hinduism falls under that. Personally, I view Hinduism as it's own category, if religions can be categorized.

But back to the original topic, I would agree that we Pagans are more environmentally aware, simply because that's how, at least, I live my life. As a Pagan, I feel very close to the Earth and wish to do all I can to ease the burden that some other people don't even think about.

Thank you...I agree that Hinduism is in it's own category. God bless you for your love and respect towards the earth. As a Hindu, I also feel close to the earth. The earth is another mother to me. God forbid, but if ever I must leave my country, I will bow to this land (in Hinduism, we bow to show respect) before I leave. This land has sustained me since birth.

I came across a website which shows different religious viewpoints on the envrionment.
http://daphne.palomar.edu/calenvironment/religion.htm

The following is a Hindu prayer for peace on earth (Taken from the Vedas):
We invoke and imbibe Aum, the primordial sound of
cosmic Harmony and pray for:
Peace and Harmony in Heaven;
Peace and Harmony in the Sky and on the Earth;
Peace and Harmony in the Waters;
Peace and Harmony in the Herbs, the Vegetation and the Forests;
Peace and Harmony among the
Peoples and the Rulers of the World;
Peace and Harmony in Spiritual Quest and Realization;
Peace and Harmony for one and all;
Peace and Harmony Everywhere and in Every Thing;
Peace, True and Real Peace,
Let that Peace repose in my inner space,
Peace of Peace, Everlasting Peace,
We pray for Peace.

akshar

Cruelty to animals is repeatedly prohibited in the Torah and the Talmud and later codes -- and is considered one of the seven Noahide Laws incumbent on all humankind.
if this was at all true do you think any jew would eat meat? Hema i agree 100% there with you. We support vegitarianism, not destroying animals and their habitats etc.

akshar

I also think we can say, what present religion sustains the environment best presently, not what their holy scriptures may say.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
akshar said:
if this was at all true do you think any jew would eat meat? Hema i agree 100% there with you. We support vegitarianism, not destroying animals and their habitats etc.
:rolleyes: So if we clear cut a few acres of rainforest and grew soybeans there instead of grazing cattle this would somehow be better for the environment?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
Which religion, if any, best supports an environmentally sound lifestyle?

Beats me.

The Baha'is were the only NGO to address the environmental summit in Rio, though, which should indicate we have some very strong interest in the subject.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Which religion, if any, best supports an environmentally sound lifestyle?

I might say that Christianity is both the best and the worst. The worst because God is going to destroy the world and the best because He's going to remake without the curse.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
akshar said:

Thank you. It's good to have you back little brother. I didn't see you around for a while...I thought you had left. I don't think there are too many Hindus at RF. Now I have company. Take care.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
lilithu said:
:rolleyes: So if we clear cut a few acres of rainforest and grew soybeans there instead of grazing cattle this would somehow be better for the environment?

Nope, no cutting of rainforests, but imagine if we used all the acres of land currently used to raise animals and used these to plant vegetables, there would be a significant difference in the amount of food derived. Imagine how many people will be fed by all those veges compared to the meat derived from a few animals.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Hema said:
Nope, no cutting of rainforests, but imagine if we used all the acres of land currently used to raise animals and used these to plant vegetables, there would be a significant difference in the amount of food derived. Imagine how many people will be fed by all those veges compared to the meat derived from a few animals.
There are vast areas that won't support the growth of veggies but will support certain grazing animals.

Plus being environmentally friendly isn't just about how we grow food for people. How about limiting the number of people in the first place? I would argue that any religion that discourages birth control is not environmentally friendly.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
lilithu said:
There are vast areas that won't support the growth of veggies but will support certain grazing animals.

Plus being environmentally friendly isn't just about how we grow food for people. How about limiting the number of people in the first place? I would argue that any religion that discourages birth control is not environmentally friendly.

:) Good points. I'm not worried about how much we consume, but how much we give back. I'm also worried about polution. I think we should have tree farms on all federal land. And I think we all need to be more active in the pursuit of clean air, clean water, and clean land. We also need to plant millions of acres of oyster farms in our oceans, rivers, and bays, that cannot be touched by fishermen, for the purpose of cleaning up our water supply. We humans consume a lot and give very little back. It's the latter that is the real problem, in my opinion.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
lilithu said:

More important than grazing area / land for planting vegetables, is the Hindu concept of Ahimsa or non-violence. Meat eating is forbidden in Hinduism because we do not believe in deriving joy from another creature's suffering. It incurs negative karma.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Another thing is this...what are those same animals feeding on? The land used to grow crops to feed a few animals can be better utilized if we eat crops grown on the same land. The number of crops will always outweigh the number of meat. The issue of how much we are taking from Mother Earth is important because we sometimes cannot replace it. What about the hole in the ozone layer?