• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion invented the idea of "One god" first?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Wasnt it the egyptians? Is there evidence that the jews revered only one God since before their time in Egypt?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd always thought Zoroastrianism. But my understandings of how to define monotheism might be wrong.

My layman's understanding of Zoroastrianism is that Ahura Mazda was purely a force of good. So all that is good was created by Ahura Mazda.
He was directly opposed by Angra Mainyu, who represents chaos or evil. I've never quite for the distinction straight in my head, to be honest.

Where I get murky is on whether Angra Mainyu created anything (disease or other 'evil' things, perhaps?) or whether he was purely a corrupter and destroyer, which would make him more akin to Satan, I presume.
I don't believe Angra Mainyu was worshipped or considered the equal of Mazda, but the reading I've done was much more Persian historical than theological.

Anyways, for whatever it's worth, that's where I'd cast my vote.

I should add, some of the religious thoughts in the Americas could almost approach monotheism if you applied a broad enough definition, but I personally haven't read anything which would lead me to run one of them up the flagpole (so to speak).

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The definition of Islam had it first Duh.. Since it by definition means: Submission to The-One-God.

We always win..

Islam is a comparatively recent religion.
The age of God is not in question, as God must predate creation and certainly predates religion.

Religion did not "invent" the concept of one God, Many religions recognise it as a fact. No one knows which was the first to do so.

Whilst there can be only one "Creator" God, there could be many aspects or lesser manifestations of that god.

I do not think that we know enough about God to be certain that a strictly monotheistic understanding is correct.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'd always thought Zoroastrianism. But my understandings of how to define monotheism might be wrong.

My layman's understanding of Zoroastrianism is that Ahura Mazda was purely a force of good. So all that is good was created by Ahura Mazda.
He was directly opposed by Angra Mainyu, who represents chaos or evil. I've never quite for the distinction straight in my head, to be honest.

Where I get murky is on whether Angra Mainyu created anything (disease or other 'evil' things, perhaps?) or whether he was purely a corrupter and destroyer, which would make him more akin to Satan, I presume.
I don't believe Angra Mainyu was worshipped or considered the equal of Mazda, but the reading I've done was much more Persian historical than theological.

Anyways, for whatever it's worth, that's where I'd cast my vote.

I should add, some of the religious thoughts in the Americas could almost approach monotheism if you applied a broad enough definition, but I personally haven't read anything which would lead me to run one of them up the flagpole (so to speak).

What information is exactly in your mind? Please give some references.

repiv

A Father
Islam is a comparatively recent religion.

Terry, The people of Ishmael believed and had a family and social concept of a singular god long before the rise of the formal Islamic beliefs. You can say the same for the Jewish side of the linage (Jacob). Moses was the prophet / law giver to the those of Jacob line and Mohammad to those of the Ishmael line. Many fail to note even in the bible in Exodus Moses when he marries in the Sinai, his wife is a descendent of Ishmael, not Jacob. Both lines had a strong monotheist culture and society prior to either Moses or Mohammad showing up.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What information is exactly in your mind? Please give some references.

Yeah, I knew I should have left that out...lol

I don't have any specific references. And based on what I have read, I honestly think it's a stretch to the point of not applying. But in a bunch of places over the years I have read how some Native beliefs could almost be described as monotheistic, albeit not in an Abrahamic sense of the word.

Whilst animism was practiced, these were seen as spirits more than Gods, and that some of the tribes believed in a single Creator God concept.

There are a whole bunch of reasons I discount it, and went with Zoroastrianism as my 'vote' (for whatever that's worth...lol)

1) It's very hard/impossible to date these beliefs even if we do consider them monotheism. They could very well have developed at a date later than the other beliefs we are discussing

2) There is pretty much no concensus on this, even amongst Native Americans, as far as I can tell

3) Some of the more forceful arguments I had read on this (and I'm trying to remember from maybe 10 years ago) were made by Christians trying to argue that God had already revealed himself to Native America prior to white settlement. There was a clear agenda, so I discounted them. A quick google didn't help me find those. The basic premise was that understanding that there was 1 true God had then 'devolved' into polytheistic worship.

4) Some of the other arguments I had read over the years were along the lines of 'with 300+ tribes all having varying beliefs, if along some consistent themes, there is a good chance 1 of them 'crossed the line' into monotheism.

I've also read a few things talking about Aztec worship in monotheistic terms, but that just seems wrong based on most of what I've read.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yeah, I knew I should have left that out...lol

I don't have any specific references. And based on what I have read, I honestly think it's a stretch to the point of not applying. But in a bunch of places over the years I have read how some Native beliefs could almost be described as monotheistic, albeit not in an Abrahamic sense of the word.

Whilst animism was practiced, these were seen as spirits more than Gods, and that some of the tribes believed in a single Creator God concept.

There are a whole bunch of reasons I discount it, and went with Zoroastrianism as my 'vote' (for whatever that's worth...lol)

1) It's very hard/impossible to date these beliefs even if we do consider them monotheism. They could very well have developed at a date later than the other beliefs we are discussing

2) There is pretty much no concensus on this, even amongst Native Americans, as far as I can tell

3) Some of the more forceful arguments I had read on this (and I'm trying to remember from maybe 10 years ago) were made by Christians trying to argue that God had already revealed himself to Native America prior to white settlement. There was a clear agenda, so I discounted them. A quick google didn't help me find those. The basic premise was that understanding that there was 1 true God had then 'devolved' into polytheistic worship.

4) Some of the other arguments I had read over the years were along the lines of 'with 300+ tribes all having varying beliefs, if along some consistent themes, there is a good chance 1 of them 'crossed the line' into monotheism.

I've also read a few things talking about Aztec worship in monotheistic terms, but that just seems wrong based on most of what I've read.

Thanks

Can you please name the tribes?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks

Can you please name the tribes?

Well...no. At least, not with any credibility. But research into this specifically was conducted by Schmidt, who I know you're aware of. I think he was researching western tribes (modern day California) but whether he was inferring that it was the direct ancestors of the current tribes, or other peoples who had lived in that area, I honestly couldn't say.

My interest in Native Americans has always been historical and not theological, but you can't really avoid it entirely. Still, it means I have read a bunch, but lack specific references.

Anyways, here are some approximate examples of the type of thing I suppose it meant. My issue with all this is that these are oral histories, and not readily communicated. We are taking accounts taken far after first contact, and then trying to determine the original belief structures associated with those. I am thinking it gets so vague you could read whatever you want into it all, but I am not well versed in the theories, so perhaps there is more to it.

Salish mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hopi mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Well...no. At least, not with any credibility. But research into this specifically was conducted by Schmidt, who I know you're aware of. I think he was researching western tribes (modern day California) but whether he was inferring that it was the direct ancestors of the current tribes, or other peoples who had lived in that area, I honestly couldn't say.

My interest in Native Americans has always been historical and not theological, but you can't really avoid it entirely. Still, it means I have read a bunch, but lack specific references.

Anyways, here are some approximate examples of the type of thing I suppose it meant. My issue with all this is that these are oral histories, and not readily communicated. We are taking accounts taken far after first contact, and then trying to determine the original belief structures associated with those. I am thinking it gets so vague you could read whatever you want into it all, but I am not well versed in the theories, so perhaps there is more to it.

Salish mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hopi mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks and regards

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Terry, The people of Ishmael believed and had a family and social concept of a singular god long before the rise of the formal Islamic beliefs. You can say the same for the Jewish side of the linage (Jacob). Moses was the prophet / law giver to the those of Jacob line and Mohammad to those of the Ishmael line. Many fail to note even in the bible in Exodus Moses when he marries in the Sinai, his wife is a descendent of Ishmael, not Jacob. Both lines had a strong monotheist culture and society prior to either Moses or Mohammad showing up.

The early Jewish Abrahamic religion recognised many gods.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Fine with me, debate went quickly to semantics anyway,
That is because you are not defining the terms "hard polytheism" and "soft polytheism", not taking into account the various forms of henotheism, and insisting that polytheism requires the "worship" of more than one deity.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you. God has always been One and God approached to people by revelation, according to Holy Quran. Latter in the time of corruption, associates of God are invented. Then God sends new reformer for reminder about Unity of God.....so one.

Fourth Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah explains:
Secular Viewpoints Examined

RGA1459

I remember pretty well in 8th grade being taught about the history of religion in TN public school and the social studies teacher said that Hammurabi invented monotheism. I remember it well because it was the first time that I had been introduced to the concept of there being different Gods rather than one God. Maybe not the first time I heard about it, but it was definitely the first time that I gave it any deep thought. All I know about him is that he was Babylonian and allegedly (according to school) originated the concept of monotheism and also created a code of laws that is much like the ones we have today.

I just looked it up and found out that she lied. The laws he came up with were much different than ours and Judaism already existed. Just goes to show that what is in the textbook is not necessarily what the truth is. And to think that I believed her all these years!

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The one true God has manifested in all regions of the world and talked to the perfect men among them, in my opinion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I remember pretty well in 8th grade being taught about the history of religion in TN public school and the social studies teacher said that Hammurabi invented monotheism. I remember it well because it was the first time that I had been introduced to the concept of there being different Gods rather than one God. Maybe not the first time I heard about it, but it was definitely the first time that I gave it any deep thought. All I know about him is that he was Babylonian and allegedly (according to school) originated the concept of monotheism and also created a code of laws that is much like the ones we have today.

I just looked it up and found out that she lied. The laws he came up with were much different than ours and Judaism already existed. Just goes to show that what is in the textbook is not necessarily what the truth is. And to think that I believed her all these years!

Hammurabi (Akkadian from Amorite ʻAmmurāpi, "the kinsman is a healer", from ʻAmmu, "paternal kinsman", and Rāpi, "healer"; died c. 1750 BC) was the sixth king of Babylon (that is, of the First Babylonian Dynasty) from 1792 BC to 1750 BC middle chronology (1728 BC – 1686 BC short chronology[2]).

Hammurabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moses corresponding to 1391–1271 BCE;[6] Jerome gives 1592, and Ussher 1619.[7]
Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Hammurabi was earlier than Moses; there is no harm, in my opinion, if they both believed in one true God.