• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which single issue do you think is most important

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The dysfunctional relationship the human species presently has with the other-than-human beings they share this planet with. There are three main ways that is manifesting: (1) habitat destruction (aka, ecological genocide) (2) biodiversity loss (aka, sixth mass extinction), and (3) climate change. It distresses me sometimes that the only one of these that gets regularly discussed is the third. Doing something about the third means nothing of the other two are not also addressed. They're all driven by the same problem - humans. Technically, a subset of humans engaging in particular cultural practices bear the large majority of the causality. The "affluent" ones. The "technological" ones. The ones we're supposed to aspire to be, that we push "third world" countries to become, but are the drivers of this tragic story that is humanity. It's a complex issue with no simple solution; the gods will sort it out for us one way or another. But in the mean time, environment has and likely always will be my number 1 voting issue. Even after the whole evil forced birth thing, which comes real, real close to displacing that. Fortunately, the same folks who are okay with forced birth are also okay with abusing nature, by and large...

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I'm not a single issue voter. That said, I refuse to support a sexual predator; it just so happens that the democratic platform supports most of my concerns this election cycle. That said, I'm not fond of the actions they tend to take against second amendment rights. While I support gun control measures, many of the actual policies they tend to put into practice attack a perceived symptom which punishes nobody but responsible gun owners imo

amorphous_constellation

The dysfunctional relationship the human species presently has with the other-than-human beings they share this planet with. There are three main ways that is manifesting: (1) habitat destruction (aka, ecological genocide) (2) biodiversity loss (aka, sixth mass extinction), and (3) climate change. It distresses me sometimes that the only one of these that gets regularly discussed is the third. Doing something about the third means nothing of the other two are not also addressed. They're all driven by the same problem - humans. Technically, a subset of humans engaging in particular cultural practices bear the large majority of the causality. The "affluent" ones. The "technological" ones. The ones we're supposed to aspire to be, that we push "third world" countries to become, but are the drivers of this tragic story that is humanity. It's a complex issue with no simple solution; the gods will sort it out for us one way or another. But in the mean time, environment has and likely always will be my number 1 voting issue. Even after the whole evil forced birth thing, which comes real, real close to displacing that. Fortunately, the same folks who are okay with forced birth are also okay with abusing nature, by and large...
It's complicated, and there's a lot untangle with all of it, with room to agree and disagree on a lot, just within that framework I think. Like I said, grading 'earth health' as very important seems to be a constant for me, with many of the other political views getting wiggle room. It really does seem like addressing all of that would require massive change in how we do things. But really it doesn't have to be a downer, this is about getting things better for humans, in my view. Birth control I was I always for, and frankly I look at a wider goal with that, as I wonder if population size should be a bit more regulated. And I think it wouldn't take war to lower the population, all it would take is simply just all, or most of the couples having 1 offspring for a few generations

Visualizing a goal with all of this is important, because I think differences in outcome might be quite wide, depending on who is visualizing the goal. I can imagine expanding free open space to point where you can go trout fishing everyday in undeveloped land, with no one to hassle you about property lines for a hundred miles. Everyone gets to eat meat everyday if they want to, as there could be massive wild animals herds everywhere, and one can roam from coast to coast in largely undivided tracts of pure nature

Some of the elites might visualize a goal with protecting the environment, and conversely to what I just wrote, decide that we have to all now live with far more restrictions. That's kind of where the climate change thing enters the picture, as it seems to be promoting regulation, instead of real change. I could be wrong. I haven't read everyone who writes about the topic in fine detail

And to anyone else reading this, know that I could be wrong. I'm always open to other arguments

Realistically, none of what I just said will probably happen, I suppose because we are locked into a competition with other superpowers, and that does involve, for some reason, a competition between very robust population sizes. So maybe it's better not to think in terms of fantasy, and so I should read and think more about geo-politics. Not that I change anything about that either

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I tend to be on board with that , it's probably one of the most consistent views I've had, although I haven't heard of that exact term before to describe it.

Climate change is not exactly the same as that, I agree

Any good books that you'd recommend..

Well it's not a happy topic. I guess I'd suggest "Bright Green Lies", and then an older book "Overshoot".

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Birth control I was I always for, and frankly I look at a wider goal with that, as I wonder if population size should be a bit more regulated. And I think it wouldn't take war to lower the population, all it would take is simply just all, or most of the couples having 1 offspring for a few generations
I agree that reducing the human population is critical. A couple of thoughts:

- give BIG retirement bonuses to retiring women who have had 0 or 1 kids.
- start - right now - exposing everyone who continues to defend the myth that economies have to grow to be healthy.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
More housing = less arable land, so food prices go up... right? And our environment gets less. Right? So @fantome profane this is a piece of what I mean. It's just one example. Leftism, to me, is a gnarled contradiction.

More housing doesn't entail food prices going up per se, unless active farms are being turned into housing complex and no new farm is arising. You are seeing a contradiction where there is none.

Pogo

More housing doesn't entail food prices going up per se, unless active farms are being turned into housing complex and no new farm is arising. You are seeing a contradiction where there is none.
Is an apartment building more housing or less, simple concepts are simple. :)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
We were talking about fathers and our fathers in particular recently during a book club meeting and I think it's very interesting to hear the stories of other people and to realize they are just as real as mine. Ironically, though I had a very good relationship with my dad, a poem that really resonated with me was a poem about a father getting up every Sunday morning and lighting fires to warm the house, as an expression of love which the kid didn't see for years and years. The author was Robert Hayden. The poem was Winter Sundays.

Last edited:

Daemon Sophic

no polls.. too lazy and too much work. Just what issue does it kind of come down to for you. Or if it is all of them at once, explain how that works please
All of them at once.....

While Ecological Overshoot (EO)(from which Global Warming is a symptom) is the over-arching most important issue to deal with; it is also true that any support of the anti-science party of The Insurrectionist will certainly doom even the most specious attempt at resolving EO/GW. Therefore, tRump and MAGA must be removed, for any chance that rationality and facts will ever have anything to do with the US government, ever again.

Of course, by voting down the MAGATs and supporting Progressives (Dems being a wee step in the right direction), we simultaneously improve our chances at
- Border Security
- Stable international relations
- lowering the risk of international wars, as well as US involvement in such wars.
- better economy, with responsible taxes on corporations and the rich, as well as lower taxes on the middle-class and poor.
- human rights, at home and abroad. (abortion, racism, labor laws,
- decreasing pollution
- improved child and adult education levels
- etc....etc....