• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Celebrates Christmas, and why?

wiskeychris

Its fact that Christmas has its roots in pagan sun worship. There is also no command found in the bible to celebrate the birth of Christ. This is all besides the obvious fact that Dec. 25 was not the day Jesus was born.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I celebrate Christmas because I was brought up celebrating Christmas and giving gifts at that time of year. Christmas doesn't have a lot of religious significance to me.

M

Majikthise

I feel the same way Jensa does. And it's fun to see the kids opening presents.:)

Fat Old Sun

I still celebrate christmas. I am no longer a christian, nor am I a pagan, but I still find cause to celebrate love, generousity, and being with family and friends.

It's a shame that people become so consumed by Jesus, Santa, standing in line to get in at midnight to buy the new 'must have' toy, arguing over which holiday songs to sing or not to sing in school, getting angry over someone having or not having a nativity scene on display, etc. that by the time it's all said and done we are exhausted, and have hardly spent any of that time being with or thinking about those who are the most important.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I celebrate Christmas as a holiday, but necessarily religious because I understand that not is December 25th not his birthday, it's also not the most important date for Christians to be celebrating. I celebrate it as a time to be with friends and family and exchange tokens of our love for each other. I have no problem with those who want to use the date as a day of remembrance for Christ's birth though. The fact that the date coincides with the pagan holiday you mention is not significant to me either. I don't really see why it is such a big deal to some, or why atheists and others use it against the church. It's a shame in my opinion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Fat Old Sun said:
It's a shame that people become so consumed by Jesus...
How does one become too "consumed by Jesus"? Regardless of the origins of Christmas, it seems to me that that's the whole point of the holiday -- to be consumed by Jesus.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Katzpur said:
How does one become too "consumed by Jesus"? Regardless of the origins of Christmas, it seems to me that that's the whole point of the holiday -- to be consumed by Jesus.
And for others, the point of the holiday is to celebrate the return of the sun god and earth goddess. To each their own.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've been too drunk to celebrate christmas the last couple of years. I don't know about you folks but the holidays turn me into the beer monster. Normally my senses start to resume around 6pm on boxing day.

armageddon

Katzpur said:
i think what they meant about people becoming too "consumed by jesus" is that after the coming and going of jesus, christianity/catholocism greatly spread and now we find pices of the bible strewn everywhere, including our government, even though our government shouldnt base anything on religion

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I celebrate it mostly because it's part of my culture. The religious part is separate, to me...I can't connect the secular holiday and the supposed religious reason for it, although I do recognize both.

Fat Old Sun

Katzpur said:
People become so focused on the superficial aspect of christianity at christmas that they ignore the message that it is based on. It becomes so important to be dressed a certain way, and to attend certain services, etc. that we overlook the possibility that our families suffer because of it.

Instead of filling our time off from work with even more pressure to be here at this time and do this or that a certain way to please someone else, I think that we would be better off using that time to connect with those we care about and focus on them.

Lycan

Preternatural
I celebrate christmas because I like shiny things and I wanna help support the local economy...

niamhwitch

Celtic Faery Wiccan )O(
My husband and I celebrate Christmas, but it is more secular as well as an extension of Yule (The Winter Solstice, the holiday we celebrate). We actually do most of our Yule celebrations on Christmas Day. Our celebration of "Christmas" is in no way Christian. We are not celebrating the birth of Jesus, we celebrate the return of the Sun God. On Yule night we have a tradition where we all open one present under the tree. Its the presents with xmas pj's in them. Every year we get new pj's for everyone with a winter/xmas theme to them. We open them on Yule (while wearing the ones from last year) and wear the new ones on xmas eve and xmas morning while we open all the other gifts.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
lol my family does the same thing :D. Get jammies the night before. Unfortunately, we always ahve trouble finding ones for my dad that match the ones my mom, sister, and I get.

wiskeychris

So, as Christians, you all feel its ok to mix a supposed Christian holiday with a pagan one? Remember, regardless of "you" celebrate christmas, I think you need to consider how God views it. do you really think God would approve it?

Dinogrrl

peeb!
Well, I celebrate other 'non-Christian' holidays, like Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July and such. Anyone can put a religious meaning into any holiday. Christmas is no different. And I don't think God minds, just so long as you aren't going against His will.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
"So, as Christians, you all feel its ok to mix a supposed Christian holiday with a pagan one?"

It wasn't Christian to begin with... :rolleyes: