• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who hear thinks..........

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Yes or No answers only please.

Science is the BEST way to know water is made from H2O?

Edit: Science is the BEST way to know the sun will come up tomorrow?
Science is the BEST way to know the Earth rotates around the sun?

Science is the BEST way to know our lungs help us beath?

Science is the BEST way to know humans cannot walk on water?

There could be a million of these but you get the picture.
What do you mean by "hear" ?

We Never Know

No Slack

Yes
Science is the BEST way to know the sun will come up tomorrow?
No. Its the best way to predict when it won't
Yes
No. They don't 'help' us breathe. They are 'why' we breathe(try breathing without lungs).
Science can tell us how they work.
No. Just try it. You can figure that out without science.

PureX

Veteran Member

Yes. We get the picture. You really didn't want any actual answers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, on all counts, for two main reasons:
  1. I don't do favorites as a general rule. Which means I also don't do "best" because that's more or less the same as picking favorites.
  2. "Best" is a vague and ambiguous value judgement. There are different kinds of knowledge; best for what purpose? What are you trying to do or accomplish, exactly? If I'm going to make some vague and ambiguous value judgement I need to know the function or purpose of the assessment because that dramatically changes the answer.
    • Of particular relevance is the fact that scientific research takes a tremendous amount of time to execute. If I'm drowning in a lake I'm not exactly going to care about using science as the so-called "best" way to understand why I'm drowning. I'm going to use my actual real life experiences to go "oh no, I'm drowning, get out of the water" like all of our ancestors who didn't die did.
Also in the title - "here" not "hear." That's just bugging me.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No. Now I'm sad. :(

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Experience is the best way to know humans cannot walk on water. I attempt to walk on water,

The problem with your reasoning, not just here but in one of the other answers as well, is,

You could be an outlier. Science is the BEST way to determine whether or not that is the case via statistical analysis.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with your reasoning, not just here but in one of the other answers as well, is,

You could be an outlier. Science is the BEST way to determine whether or not that is the case via statistical analysis.
I stand corrected. The next time I step onto water, I'll wait to sink until I've formulated a statistical analysis.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, this is why I ask about specifics. Doing exhaustive methodological observation and statistical analysis for something that's pretty darned obviously the case through basic life experience is a waste of time for most humans. That makes it firmly suboptimal (aka, not the best) unless you specifically want exhaustive methodological observation and statistical analysis.

HonestJoe

I see the point you're trying to make and I kind of agree with the broad concept, but I don't think you've done a good job demonstrating it, certainly not if you're seeking to convince anyone who thinks differently.

anotherneil

ok (oops)

yes

yes

This cannot be answered with a "yes" or "no" - it's undefined (no frame of reference was specified).

Furthermore, your previous question may have set a precedent in establishing a frame of reference, by default - that of observations from Earthlings (as in us), and that default frame of reference would be a stationary Earth; in a stationary Earth model, Earth isn't rotating around the sun or anything else.

In a stationary Earth frame of reference model, the sun rotates around Earth.

yes

yes

yes

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yeah, this is why I ask about specifics. Doing exhaustive methodological observation and statistical analysis for something that's pretty darned obviously the case through basic life experience is a waste of time for most humans. That makes it firmly suboptimal (aka, not the best) unless you specifically want exhaustive methodological observation and statistical analysis.

My reply is to Salix who in previous conversations has denied the independent existence of any one or any thing beyond his own mind. Because of this, when Salix answered "I would test it", that does not include any others. It is only his mind testing, and only his mind observing the results of the test. I think it's important to point this out when interpreting Salix's answers. It would be wrong to understand it from the point of view of anyone other than Salix. That point of view has significant limitations which need to be applied.

What you're suggesting as "pretty darn obvious" would include more than 1 independent individual in agreement on the phenomena, right?

Also: the questions asked for the best way to "know". Pretty darn obvious is an "educated-guess".

Educated Guess =/= knowing
Statistical-analysis =/= knowing

Because the confidence of knowing from statistical analysis is much greater than the confidence from an educated-guess, statistical-analysis is better.

Last edited:

Madsaac

Well, observation generally is the best way to learn stuff.
I see science more as a way to validate what we think we know.

You observe something, create a theory of how it works, then you can use the concepts of science to test your theory out.
Or not. As long as whatever you believe to be true keeps working as expected, no real need to test it.

However if you start to find that many of your theories don't always work out as you expect, you might want to start testing them more often to regain confidence in them. That is where science comes in.

Just for arguments sake lets say that observation is part of the scientific process, which it is, the what do you think?

I find it surprising that people just won't say that without science we wouldn't know what H2O is, or how our lungs work, or knowledge of the solar system and that we can't walk on water, especially if I couldn't try it myself.

Madsaac

It wasn't obvious to people hundreds of years a go and so people believed in the supernatural for explanations

But many now believe science is the best way to answer these questions, however some people try and confuse the notion without any logical reasoning. For example, type of language used, or a subjective perspective, or the type of knowing

It's obvious we wouldn't know what water is made from without science, or the rotation of the Earth and so on.