• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who hear thinks..........

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What is net well-being and suffering?

So if we kill you and use your organs to safe more than one life, we could increase well-being.
No.
It's funny that you first (incorrectly) yap about how I supposedly ignore mental well-being only to then disregard it yourself.

Living in a society where you can be killed to have your organs harnessed would be detrimental to well-being. Both of the individual as the society as a whole.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No.
It's funny that you first (incorrectly) yap about how I supposedly ignore mental well-being only to then disregard it yourself.

Living in a society where you can be killed to have your organs harnessed would be detrimental to well-being. Both of the individual as the society as a whole.

So what is net?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Just explain how it is done objectively. I can do it subjectively. Now explain and not just claim how it is done.
You conclude it from the exhibited symptoms.

This is how you tell a depressed person from a happy person. :shrug:

I feel for you if you are unable to see the difference between happy and sad.
Or between feeling fine and being in physical pain.

And frankly I'm not buying it for a second. You're just being obtuse again.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So unless you are the one's who's personally hurt, you can't tell if others are hurt?
Is that what you are saying?

No, I use the subjective ability to use what is called theory of mind, that I have learned how people behave when they report being in pain and that I have empathy, and thus I can inferer that others are hurt.
That is how it is done. You can't observe hurt!!! It has no color, form, taste, sound or any other external sensory property. And it has no global sceintific measurement standard.

It is not objective. It is felt subjectively in a person and some other humans but not all can in effect subjectively infer that a person is hurt.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Look above.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Here is some science for you:
"Emotions – that is to say feelings and intuitions – play a major role in most of the ethical decisions people make. Most people do not realize how much their emotions direct their moral choices. But experts think it is impossible to make any important moral judgments without emotions."

I can find more if you need it. But just search yourself and figure out how it is subjective.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No, I use the subjective ability to use what is called theory of mind, that I have learned how people behave when they report being in pain and that I have empathy, and thus I can inferer that others are hurt.
That is how it is done. You can't observe hurt!!! It has no color, form, taste, sound or any other external sensory property. And it has no global sceintific measurement standard.

And yet we have painkillers.

You also seem to imply that unless you experienced it yourself, you can't infer it in others.

Sure, empathy plays a role in it. But that doesn't make recognizing suffering a matter of mere "opinion" - which is what it would be if it were just a matter of subjectivity.
Pain and suffering is a thing. An objective thing, discernable from fine, healthy, happy. Not just a matter of opinion.

Not having a "pain-o-meter" doesn't make suffering a matter of mere opinion.

It is not objective. It is felt subjectively in a person and some other humans but not all can in effect subjectively infer that a person is hurt.
Generally, it's psychopaths / sociopaths who seem unable to infer the suffering of others.
Incidently, these conditions mean that there is something wrong with those people. They are not a confirmation that suffering is just a matter of mere opinion.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Here is some science for you:
"Emotions – that is to say feelings and intuitions – play a major role in most of the ethical decisions people make. Most people do not realize how much their emotions direct their moral choices. But experts think it is impossible to make any important moral judgments without emotions."

What is your point?
Are you under the impression that I would deny the above?

I can find more if you need it.

For what purpose?

But just search yourself and figure out how it is subjective.
None of this makes the difference between well-being and suffering subjective (which is to say: a matter of mere opinion). :shrug:

Your article deals with why people tend to act morally or immorally (or better said: with what they perceive to be moral or immoral)
It is not dealing with what makes an action moral or immoral.

Earlier I made the distinction between WHY to act morally and HOW to act morally.
Why be moral vs what it means to be moral.

These are not the same thing.

Another way of saying that is why prefer maximizing well-being vs not caring or worse: preferring to maximize suffering

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And yet we have painkillers.

You also seem to imply that unless you experienced it yourself, you can't infer it in others.

Sure, empathy plays a role in it. But that doesn't make recognizing suffering a matter of mere "opinion" - which is what it would be if it were just a matter of subjectivity.
Pain and suffering is a thing. An objective thing, discernable from fine, healthy, happy. Not just a matter of opinion.

Not having a "pain-o-meter" doesn't make suffering a matter of mere opinion.

Generally, it's psychopaths / sociopaths who seem unable to infer the suffering of others.
Incidently, these conditions mean that there is something wrong with those people. They are not a confirmation that suffering is just a matter of mere opinion.

Well, there are also blind persons and persons on the spectrum to consider.
Now what is your objective observable evidence for something being wrong with another person?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What is your point?
Are you under the impression that I would deny the above?

For what purpose?

None of this makes the difference between well-being and suffering subjective (which is to say: a matter of mere opinion). :shrug:

Your article deals with why people tend to act morally or immorally (or better said: with what they perceive to be moral or immoral)
It is not dealing with what makes an action moral or immoral.

Earlier I made the distinction between WHY to act morally and HOW to act morally.
Why be moral vs what it means to be moral.

These are not the same thing.

Okay, so only with science as objective, why should you be moral?
And how do you act objectively as moral?