• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is more a fool?

BillBo

A good opening post. My gut reaction would be to say those who are offended by a God they do not believe exists. But this will take some thinking about to give good reasoned argument on both sides.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Do you give me reason to desribe you that way?
I am not offended by things that I don’t believe exists, that would be foolish. All I am saying is that I don’t know of any people who are offended by things they don’t believe exist. Although I am sure there are some there can’t be that many. On the other hand there are many people who believe in things that they have never seen. They may be fools or not, I don’t know.

Describe me (judge me) anyway you wish.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
fantôme profane;1141362 said:
I am not offended by things that I don’t believe exists, that would be foolish. All I am saying is that I don’t know of any people who are offended by things they don’t believe exist. Although I am sure there are some there can’t be that many.
You're not offended by beliefs in racial superiority?

logician

Use your logic. He's asking who is more of a fool. The person you believes in a God they have never seen. Or the person who get offend by a God that they don't believe in(like when someone seems mad at the Christian God hating at him but they don't even believe in him, what a wast of energy.)

The reason is does not make sense is that how can one be offended by something they don't believe exists. They could be offending by someone "claiming" the existence of said entity, but those are 2 different statements.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You're not offended by beliefs in racial superiority?
I am not offended by “racial superiority” because I don’t believe “racial superiority” exists.

I am offended by “beliefs in racial superiority”, and unfortunately “beliefs in racial superiority” do exist.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The reason is does not make sense is that how can one be offended by something they don't believe exists. They could be offending by someone "claiming" the existence of said entity, but those are 2 different statements.

Though you must admit that even though those who may not believe in a God sure do act like they do with the way they say the are offended by said God. Not the followers the God.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Though you must admit that even though those who may not believe in a God sure do act like they do with the way they say the are offended by said God. Not the followers the God.

I cannot remember anyone ever saying that. I've heard that people are offended by a certain idea of God, or the believers, but not by God.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
fantôme profane;1142009 said:
I am not offended by “racial superiority” because I don’t believe “racial superiority” exists.

I am offended by “beliefs in racial superiority”, and unfortunately “beliefs in racial superiority” do exist.
You're right, racial superiority only exists as a concept, a concept which you find offensive. If we were to say that God only exists as a concept, could you not also find that concept offensive?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You're right, racial superiority only exists as a concept, a concept which you find offensive. If we were to say that God only exists as a concept, could you not also find that concept offensive?
No I personally don’t find the concept of “God” to be offensive. It is simply that I cannot accept the concept of a personal “God”. I am an atheist. I am not an anti-theist.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
fantôme profane;1143116 said:
No I personally don’t find the concept of “God” to be offensive. It is simply that I cannot accept the concept of a personal “God”. I am an atheist. I am not an anti-theist.
I'm not asking if you personally find God offensive or not, only whether or not you think someone could find the concept of God offensive.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'm not asking if you personally find God offensive or not, only whether or not you think someone could find the concept of God offensive.
If you are asking if it is possible, then yes it is possible. Humans seem to have an almost limitless capacity for being offended. If you are asking me if it is reasonable, I would say generally speaking no, there is nothing inherently offensive in the concept of a divine entity. There may of course be specific things about a person’s “God” concept that could reasonable be offensive (i.e. “God” likes to kick badgers for fun and commands her followers to do likewise).

But I think this is different than the question asked in the OP. The original question was not about people being offended by some specific theistic doctrine, the question was about people being offended by a “God” they don’t believe exists. You are talking about people being offended by people. And people do exist and they are often offensive.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's clear that I am the biggest fool that ever walked the face of this earth. There are any number of people on this forum, theist and atheist alike who would agree with me too! :D
Oh, please! Do I need to start a poll or something? Do we need to put it to a vote? Who is the biggest fool -- ScubaPete or Katzpur? :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Oh, please! Do I need to start a poll or something? Do we need to put it to a vote? Who is the biggest fool -- ScubaPete or Katzpur? :D
My dear... you would win on personality and popularity alone. I could only win on my vituperate anality.

Where some may allude to speaking their mind, I excel at speaking my heart. Those who value hate and intolerance abhor me and they are closely followed in that opinion by a few of the staff. I have no problems with getting into the middle of controversy! :D