• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is smarter?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Who is smarter?
the fundamentalists in each group
I understand, the natural words Zealous persons and or Zealots more correctly describe the phenomena instead of the word "fundamentalist" that is in vogue these days incorrectly, right, please?:

zealous (adj.)

"full of zeal" (in the service of a person or cause), 1520s, from Medieval Latin zelosus "full of zeal" (source of Italian zeloso, Spanish celoso), from zelus (see zeal). The sense "fervent, inspired" was earlier in English in jealous (late 14c.), which is the same word but come up through French. Related: Zealously, zealousness. also from 1520s

Entries linking to zealous

jealous (adj.)
c. 1200, gelus, later jelus, "possessive and suspicious," originally in the context of sexuality or romance (in any context from late 14c.), from Old French jalos/gelos "keen, zealous; avaricious; jealous" (12c., Modern French jaloux), from Late Latin zelosus, from zelus "zeal," from Greek zēlos, which sometimes meant "jealousy," but more often was used in a good sense ("emulation, rivalry, zeal"), from PIE root *ya- "to seek, request, desire" (see zeal). In biblical language (early 13c.) "tolerating no unfaithfulness." Also in Middle English sometimes in the more positive sense, "fond, amorous, ardent" (c. 1300) and in the senses that now go with zealous, which is a later borrowing of the same word, from Latin.
Most of the words for 'envy' ... had from the outset a hostile force, based on 'look at' (with malice), 'not love,' etc. Conversely, most of those which became distinctive terms for 'jealousy' were originally used also in a good sense, 'zeal, emulation.' [Buck, pp.1138-9]
Among the ways to express "jealous" in other tongues are Swedish svartsjuka, literally "black-sick," from phrase bara svarta strumpor "wear black stockings," also "be jealous." Danish skinsyg "jealous," literally "skin-sick," is from skind "hide, skin" said to be explained by Swedish dialectal expression fa skinn "receive a refusal in courtship."
zeal (n.)
"passionate ardor in pursuit of an objective or course of action," late 14c., from Old French zel (Modern French zèle) and directly from Late Latin zelus "zeal, emulation" (source also of Italian zelo, Spanish celo), a Church word, from Greek zēlos "ardor, eager rivalry, emulation," "a noble passion" [Liddell & Scott], but also "jealousy;" from PIE *ya- "to seek, request, desire." From mid-15c. as "devotion."
overzealous (adj.)
also over-zealous, "too zealous, exhibiting an excess of zeal," 1630s, from over- + zealous. Related: Overzealously; overzealousness. zealous | Etymology of zealous by etymonline
Right?

Regards

Last edited:

Whateverist

Sorry for my delay in responding but RL got busier for a while.

Who is smarter?

I understand, the natural words Zealous persons and or Zealots more correctly describe the phenomena instead of the word "fundamentalist" that is in vogue these days incorrectly, right, please?:

zealous (adj.)

"full of zeal" (in the service of a person or cause), 1520s, from Medieval Latin zelosus "full of zeal" (source of Italian zeloso, Spanish celoso), from zelus (see zeal). The sense "fervent, inspired" was earlier in English in jealous (late 14c.), which is the same word but come up through French. Related: Zealously, zealousness. also from 1520s

jealous (adj.)
c. 1200, gelus, later jelus, "possessive and suspicious," originally in the context of sexuality or romance (in any context from late 14c.), from Old French jalos/gelos "keen, zealous; avaricious; jealous" (12c., Modern French jaloux), from Late Latin zelosus, from zelus "zeal," from Greek zēlos, which sometimes meant "jealousy," but more often was used in a good sense ("emulation, rivalry, zeal"), from PIE root *ya- "to seek, request, desire" (see zeal). In biblical language (early 13c.) "tolerating no unfaithfulness." Also in Middle English sometimes in the more positive sense, "fond, amorous, ardent" (c. 1300) and in the senses that now go with zealous, which is a later borrowing of the same word, from Latin.

Among the ways to express "jealous" in other tongues are Swedish svartsjuka, literally "black-sick," from phrase bara svarta strumpor "wear black stockings," also "be jealous." Danish skinsyg "jealous," literally "skin-sick," is from skind "hide, skin" said to be explained by Swedish dialectal expression fa skinn "receive a refusal in courtship."
zeal (n.)
"passionate ardor in pursuit of an objective or course of action," late 14c., from Old French zel (Modern French zèle) and directly from Late Latin zelus "zeal, emulation" (source also of Italian zelo, Spanish celo), a Church word, from Greek zēlos "ardor, eager rivalry, emulation," "a noble passion" [Liddell & Scott], but also "jealousy;" from PIE *ya- "to seek, request, desire." From mid-15c. as "devotion."
overzealous (adj.)
also over-zealous, "too zealous, exhibiting an excess of zeal," 1630s, from over- + zealous. Related: Overzealously; overzealousness. zealous | Etymology of zealous by etymonline
Right?

Regards

I missed this post at first. "Zealot" isn't a word I use much but I think it can have both a positive and a negative connotation. But it doesn't capture what I have in mind when I use "fundamentalist". Zealotry seems to be much more about what one is moved to do whereas fundamentalism is more about how one understands. In the context of religion ..

"a form of a religion, especially Islam or Protestant Christianity, that upholds belief in the strict, literalinterpretation of scripture."

Or more broadly ..

"strict adherence to the basic principles of any subject or discipline."

Not being a fundamentalist myself I rarely resort to definitions to decide anything but these come from "Oxford Languages" by way of a Google search of fundamentalism. This doesn't decide anything but just trying to show the use to which I put "fundamentalism".

To my mind meaning can only ever be imperfectly approximated by language. Life and experience is far more multifaceted than can be pinned down in words. But we all understand whatever we do somehow or other. I just don't think there are authoritative answers for many questions but especially not where God or consciousness are concerned.

What I was getting at in what you quoted me as saying is that fundamentalists in general just don't go as deep but rather stay on the surface of things, limiting understanding to what can be conveyed in language and leaving out those aspects of experience which depend on emotional intelligence and embodied existence. It isn't really a matter of intelligence but rather what kinds of attention one brings to bear, in my opinion of course. When we talk about subjective matters, that is all we have and whatever brain scans may show don't get around this requirement.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Who is smarter?
the fundamentalists in each group

zealous (adj.)

jealous (adj.)
Most of the words for 'envy' ... had from the outset a hostile force, based on 'look at' (with malice), 'not love,' etc. Conversely, most of those which became distinctive terms for 'jealousy' were originally used also in a good sense, 'zeal, emulation.' [Buck, pp.1138-9]
zeal (n.)
overzealous (adj.)
OOO
I have read one's post #104 , the latest from one.
I request to ponder on the following "natural words":

extremist, commoner, common sense, norm, normal, abnormal, genius,

Right?

Regards

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think theists are more or less dumb than atheists , but there is definitely a case to be made where one can be intellectually hobbled so severely by a religion to a point where one's intellect and rationale is basically the equivalent of having all the lights put out, and nobody is home in the head.

Whateverist

I request to ponder on the following "natural words":

extremist, commoner, common sense, norm, normal, abnormal, genius,

Right?

I don't understand but as I already made clear I don't think zealotry and fundamentalism are interchangeable and nor do I think one can be folded into the other. I find the latter useful to point at something I think is regrettable but the former isn't anything I have an issue with at all.

A Google search of "natural words" didn't turn up anything so I'm not sure what that means to you. Sorry.