• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the Holy Spirit and What was His purpose

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Here is a topic I never hear mentioned ,yet I do hear so much association to Christianity from many ,but the Holy Spirit is rarely if ever alluded to.

This is the distinguishing factor which separates Christianity from all the rest.
Religion is religion and remains the same ,but Christianity is in a league of it's own due to the power the resides within it, namely the presence and power of the Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit is the presensce of God, esentially God's Spirit. It is also refered to as the Spirit of Truth. We believe the truth comes to us through His presence, esentially recognizing the word of God becasue it is in us.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
John 14:17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

I know I would laugh at someone if they said this, but it happened to me. The Holy Spirit came to me one day, I can be sure. The words of God came to me, like it says below. I will share it if anyone wants to hear.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
spacemonkey said:
The Holy Spirit is the femine aspect of God, the "Divine Feminine" if you will.
I was gonna say that, but you beat me to it.

To us, the Holy Spirit is a member of the trinity. Father, Mother and Child - three aspects of God. The Holy Spirit commonly being identified with Barbelo, but also sometimes with Sophia.

where did you get divine feminine from? The Holy Spirit has nothing to do with that.

And the Holy Trinity is the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
DiscipleOfChrist said:
where did you get divine feminine from? The Holy Spirit has nothing to do with that.

And the Holy Trinity is the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Thats the view of Paul my friend, here is Pauls opinion of women...

1 Corinthians 14:33-35
"...As in all the congragations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission,as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church."

Random

spacemonkey said:
The Holy Spirit is the femine aspect of God, the "Divine Feminine" if you will.

Exactly, yes, or the Hebrew Shekinah if you like. Large petitions hit the Vatican every year for the Virgin Mary to be recognized as the Holy Spirit, Third Person of the Trinity and Co-Redemptrix. I'd still be a Catholic if that had been the case all along.

ayani

my own faith understands the Holy Spirit not as a seperate or distinct person of a trinity, but as a way of personifying God as the spirit of inspiration and grace.

i always thought the Holy Spirit got kind of a "kid brother" role in trinitarian doctrine when i was growing up. i kept wanting to hear more about Him, but there wasn't alot to be said.

Godlike, why do you believe the Holy Spirit is Mary? The power of the Holy Spirit made her conceive Jesus.

I'm not sure I understand the feminine view. In the scriptures Jesus gives us an idea of what the Holy Spirit is, like in John, what I posted above.

Can someone explain how the "divine feminine" came about? Thank you.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
DiscipleOfChrist said:
Godlike, why do you believe the Holy Spirit is Mary? The power of the Holy Spirit made her conceive Jesus.

I'm not sure I understand the feminine view. In the scriptures Jesus gives us an idea of what the Holy Spirit is, like in John, what I posted above.

Can someone explain how the "divine feminine" came about? Thank you.

Here are some places to look.
http://www.adishakti.org/text_files/holy_spirit.htm
http://www.breacais.demon.co.uk/abs/bsr04/43_abdo_femalespirit.htm

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
roli said:
Here is a topic I never hear mentioned ,yet I do hear so much association to Christianity from many ,but the Holy Spirit is rarely if ever alluded to.

This is the distinguishing factor which separates Christianity from all the rest.
Religion is religion and remains the same ,but Christianity is in a league of it's own due to the power the resides within it, namely the presence and power of the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead. As His name implies, He is a person comprised solely of spirit, unlike the other two members of the Godhead (the Father and the Son). He is the means by which we communicate with God, our Father in Heaven. The scriptures say that we must worship Him in spirit and in truth. Since we are physical beings, the only way we can worship Him, communicate with Him or learn from Him is Spirit to spirit. The Holy Spirit testifies of truth. This is the means by which Peter came to realize that Jesus was, in fact, the Christ, Son of God. The Holy Spirit is also the Comforter Jesus promised to send in His absence. Unlike the Father and the Son, both of whom are functionally omnipresent, the Holy Spirit is ontologically omnipresent. It is because of this characteristic, unique to Him alone, that He can simultaneously dwell in our hearts and throughout the universe.

Katzpur said:
The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead. As His name implies, He is a person comprised solely of spirit, unlike the other two members of the Godhead (the Father and the Son). He is the means by which we communicate with God, our Father in Heaven. The scriptures say that we must worship Him in spirit and in truth. Since we are physical beings, the only way we can worship Him, communicate with Him or learn from Him is Spirit to spirit. The Holy Spirit testifies of truth. This is the means by which Peter came to realize that Jesus was, in fact, the Christ, Son of God. The Holy Spirit is also the Comforter Jesus promised to send in His absence. Unlike the Father and the Son, both of whom are functionally omnipresent, the Holy Spirit is ontologically omnipresent. It is because of this characteristic, unique to Him alone, that He can simultaneously dwell in our hearts and throughout the universe.

Yes absolutely, great referance to peter, I love that one.

Gospel Reading: Matthew 16:13-19
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Those without the Holy Spirit cannot understand,recieve or know the things of God,they are foolishness to them that have not the spirit because the things of God are spiritually discerned.
Mankind without the Spirit, will talk about God,share various view points,express certain beliefs,profess to be a christian but without the Spirit they are just spiritual.
They may know of God but never know Him,it is only through the Spirit by the blood that we have access to the Father.

sparkyluv

roli said:
Those without the Holy Spirit cannot understand,recieve or know the things of God,they are foolishness to them that have not the spirit because the things of God are spiritually discerned.
Mankind without the Spirit, will talk about God,share various view points,express certain beliefs,profess to be a christian but without the Spirit they are just spiritual.
They may know of God but never know Him,it is only through the Spirit by the blood that we have access to the Father.
:yes:

Ody

roli said:

d00d1-My Religion is truth
d00d2-No mine!
d00d1-MINE

Pointless debate.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
roli said:

The distinguishing factor that separates Christianity from all the rest is CHRIST, the idea that God incarnate died for your sins and then rose again from the grave.

The Holy Spirit exists in other religions. As Godlike said, the Holy Spirit is Shekinah in Judaism. Christianity got both God the Father/Creator and the Spirit from Judaism. Tho the Spirit isn't seen as a separate "person". As Gracie said, the Spirit is the Spirit of God. The power of God, the active force that moves thru the world.

In Hebrew, Shekinah is feminine. In Hinduism, Shakti is feminine. Shakti being the power of God.

God, male. Spirit/Power of God, female. Being, male. Becoming, female. Balanced.

The Divine Feminine is an ancient idea spanning many cultures. It was suppressed in Christianity, which gave the Spirit a sex change operation, the New Testament refering to the Spirit as male, and it was ressurected in Mother Mary. I find it strange when people believe that God is ALL and PERFECT and yet believe that God is only male. What exactly is being said there?

Ronald

The spirit of God is like the rustling of the leaves or dust swirls, God like the wind is invisible, until he does something there is no way to experience God, when he breathes things happen, visible things. When He speaks mountains raise up or lay down, worlds are created!
On TV some years back there was a show called "The Invisible Man", until he put on his overcoat he was unseen, things might move or seem to float in air, but nothing was seen.
The bible says God is Spirit, it says He has seven spirits. The "Comfortor" is one of those spirits, called the 'spirit of truth'. It could be said it could be the spirit of Yeshua, because he said "Joh 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Whether you call the action of God, wind, Holy Spirit, or his power. It is still God causing things to happen.
Shalom