• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the way, the truth and the life?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Christianity might be the main religion that has so many versions (sects, denominations, etc.) that claim an exclusive possession of truth.
What? Why wouldn't you just say "Christianity" then.
By its actions Christianity didn't seem like the "truth" when Islam got started.
Example? What are you talking about?
It's unfortunate that both religions have had a history of violence. To move peaceably into the future what must change? If each side believes they have the last word or best word or truest word from God, no one could or should give in (if they truly believe they are correct). But somebody has to be wrong, if taken literally, all religions contradict? Sects within a religion contradict. We can argue about a verse here or a verse there, but are we all missing a bigger picture? I don't know about Islam, but Christianity has verses that say to love your enemy and to turn the other cheek.
Maybe the Amish and a few others take those verses seriously, but in the mainstream, radical Christianity would rather preach that all other religions, besides themselves, are false and of the devil.
Therefore...?
Can we move beyond the more radical and "literal" sides of our religions? Is there a way to bring peace to the different religions and peace between different cultures? Thanks to Link TV and the History Channel, I've learned and realize there is a huge political and economic side of the problem, but is there a way that religions can stop adding to the problem and bring some healing?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
You said "I am?" That sounds familiar? But, I'll have to ask for some ID. Or, the testimony of two or three witnesses that will swear you are the way. Sorry, It's just a formality; there's been a lot of phony gods and messiahs lately.

Gjallarhorn, you quoted D.T. Suzuki? "Zen opens a man's eyes to the greatest mystery as it is daily and hourly performed; it enlarges the heart to embrace eternity of time and infinity of space in its every palpitation; it makes us live in the world as if walking in the garden of Eden."
A Zen Buddhist in Amish country? Or, are you just quoting it? Do you ever hang out with some Amish and talk religion and Zen? Wow, the Zen of carriage maintenance? That would be profound!
You guys have a good holiday and hope to talk to you again.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
You said "I am?" That sounds familiar? But, I'll have to ask for some ID. Or, the testimony of two or three witnesses that will swear you are the way. Sorry, It's just a formality; there's been a lot of phony gods and messiahs lately.

Gjallarhorn, you quoted D.T. Suzuki? "Zen opens a man's eyes to the greatest mystery as it is daily and hourly performed; it enlarges the heart to embrace eternity of time and infinity of space in its every palpitation; it makes us live in the world as if walking in the garden of Eden."
A Zen Buddhist in Amish country? Or, are you just quoting it? Do you ever hang out with some Amish and talk religion and Zen? Wow, the Zen of carriage maintenance? That would be profound!
You guys have a good holiday and hope to talk to you again.

Amish people don't like us English types. :p

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Amish people don't like us English types. :p
No way! That's not Christ-like! Tell them that Jesus told them to love even their enemies. Now take them a box of cookies, as a peace offering, and tell them to love you or else. No wait, better leave off the "or else."
No, but really, are you serious? What happened? I know that the English might have made a few enemies in the world, but them too? So maybe it's our responsibility to say we're sorry? What do you think? The wounds go way beyond religion, how do we fix them?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No way! That's not Christ-like! Tell them that Jesus told them to love even their enemies. Now take them a box of cookies, as a peace offering, and tell them to love you or else. No wait, better leave off the "or else."
No, but really, are you serious? What happened? I know that the English might have made a few enemies in the world, but them too? So maybe it's our responsibility to say we're sorry? What do you think? The wounds go way beyond religion, how do we fix them?

"English", to the Amish, means non-Amish. And it's not about us screwing them over. They just want to be separate, in the same way that many people don't take their families to strip clubs or crack houses.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
"English", to the Amish, means non-Amish. And it's not about us screwing them over. They just want to be separate, in the same way that many people don't take their families to strip clubs or crack houses.
Yeah, I get it. Like keep the evils of the world out of sight and out of mind. It's funny. When I was a born-again Christian in the 70's, I busted out and went to an "exotic" dancer club. I learned a spiritual truth, moderation. If I try to deny something I desire completely, eventually, I explode.