• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was the first holy Roman Emperor?

Who was the first Holy Roman Emperor?

• Charlemagne

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Otto 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I doubt it will happen
A revived Holy Roman Empire dominating the world would be kind of interesting though me thinks... But I doubt it will happen... I'm just saying there's a lot of speculation that it will... But a lot of that comes from silly verses in the Bible and people with wild imaginations

gnomon

Nah. I'll go with Charles the something.

Just to be difficult. The HRE wasn't a concept when Charlemagne was declared and he didn't care at all. Otto immediately deposed the Pope who declared him. But none of it mattered until Charles V and the Hapsburg dynasty showed up. To be eventually removed by the rising French kingdom as well as the Prussians...aka...the Kingdom of Brandenburg which created the modern German state.

So who cares.

edit: I'm just being difficult. I know Charlemagne was the first to be declared by a desperate Pope and he didn't accept. Otto was the second and he proceeded to remove that Pope.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Semantics. I disagree.
There's an immense difference between the old Western Empire and the loose confederation of largely Germanic states and principalities that made up the HRE. Heck, the (actual) Roman Empire still continued to exist in the east.

Jumi

I agree it wasn't holy and Roman, but I don't get the rationale behind it not being an Empire...
By todays standards it's an empire, but empires are not supposed to have an electoral college of a loose collection of member states.