• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was the greatest Christian leader of the 20th Century?

Who was the greatest Christian leader of the 20th Century?

• Dorothy Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finis Jennings Dake

• James Cone

• Jerry Falwell

• Archbishop John Maximovitch

• Kathryn Kuhlman

• Kenneth Hagin

• Total voters

Booko

Deviled Hen
I chose MLK only because I lived in the U.S. during the heyday of the Civil Rights Movement.

The difference he made in this country, for the better, is so obvious to me.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Well, I struggled between MLK Jr. and Fred Phelps....but I finally decided that because MLK has a day of the year named after him he should win.

Nah, MLK for the obvious reasons.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Christianity stands or falls with its revolutionary protest against violence, arbitrariness and pride of power and with its plea for the weak. Christians are doing too little to make these points clear rather than too much. Christendom adjusts itself far too easily to the worship of power. Christians should give more offense, shock the world far more, than they are doing now. Christian should take a stronger stand in favor of the weak rather than considering first the possible right of the strong."

- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Bonhoeffer was murdered by Hitler. He gets my vote for one of the greatest Christians of the 20th Century.

jonny

I choose MLK. I think that the impact that his leadership made on the United States and the world is obvious.

I'm curious as to why you choose to include David O. McKay in the poll.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm curious as to why you choose to include David O. McKay in the poll.
I was trying to represent a variety of traditions, and I selected McKay as one of the most influential Mormons of the century. Could have just as easily been Spencer Kimball, though.

spiritually inclined

I chose MLK for his willingness to risk his life, the suffering he went through to make the changes he did, his tolerance of other religions, people, and beliefs, and his progressive interpretation of Christianity.

James

Bishka

Veteran Member
I was trying to represent a variety of traditions, and I selected McKay as one of the most influential Mormons of the century. Could have just as easily been Spencer Kimball, though.

Personally I would have chosen Gordon B. Hinckley, and not only because he is current prophet/president. He did so much behind-the-scenes work that made the church where it is now. (But that's just my opinion).:)

Napoleon

Mother Theresa is my choice hands down. She was a true Christian and, unlike MLK, worked tirelessly to help ALL people around the world not just one segment of one society.

Smoke

Done here.
Personally I would have chosen Gordon B. Hinckley, and not only because he is current prophet/president. He did so much behind-the-scenes work that made the church where it is now. (But that's just my opinion).:)
More of Hinckley's term as prophet/president has fallen in the 21st century than the 20th. I realize he served in other capacities for decades, but I think his most notable achievements have been as prophet/president.

Anyway, I did leave an "Other" option for people who disagreed with my list. ;)

Smoke

Done here.
Mother Theresa is my choice hands down. She was a true Christian and, unlike MLK, worked tirelessly to help ALL people around the world not just one segment of one society.
Without wanting to turn this into a thread about what's wrong with Mother Theresa, I think the number of people helped by MLK can hold its own in any comparison.

Bishka

Veteran Member
More of Hinckley's term as prophet/president has fallen in the 21st century than the 20th. I realize he served in other capacities for decades, but I think his most notable achievements have been as prophet/president.

Anyway, I did leave an "Other" option for people who disagreed with my list. ;)

I wish I could have selected more then one, because I see many people on that list contributing to the energy and feeling of the 20th century. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
*wrinkles nose at the list of hallowed entries*

*wonders why Jim and Tammy Faye Baker were left off the list*

... and Mr. Haggarty...

Napoleon

Without wanting to turn this into a thread about what's wrong with Mother Theresa, I think the number of people helped by MLK can hold its own in any comparison.

It's not numbers which matter. It's the reasoning behind it and the actions taken. Which is more Christian? A. Only helping people who are of your race in one society. B. Helping people all over the world regardless of race.

lunamoth

Will to love
Desmond Tutu

Desmond Mpilo Tutu (born 7 October 1931) is a South African cleric and activist who rose to worldwide fame during the 1980s as an opponent of apartheid. Tutu was elected and ordained the first black South African Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, and primate of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (now the Anglican Church of Southern Africa). He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984. He is also a recipient of the Albert Schweitzer Prize for Humanitarianism and was also rewarded with the Magubela prize for liberty in 1986. Desmond Tutu is committed to stopping global AIDS, and has served as the honorary chairman for the Global AIDS Alliance. In February 2007 he was awarded Gandhi Peace Prize by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, president of India.

Booko

Deviled Hen
It's not numbers which matter. It's the reasoning behind it and the actions taken. Which is more Christian? A. Only helping people who are of your race in one society. B. Helping people all over the world regardless of race.

Napoleon, if you believe that MLK only helped members of his race, then I would ask you to reflect on the idea that racism harms more than the immediate victims. It harms the entire society.

For my part, I am very thankful that my daughter will never have to endure being stabbed during a race riot for the crime of being white, as I was.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I considered Mother Theresa as well but voted for MLK for exactly the reason you state....I believe he helped more people. That was my criteria for deciding.

ayani

yes! i was wondering why Tutu wasn't there. i would have to vote for him, MLK Jr., Mother Teresa, and JP II.

i remember watching JP II on TV when i was a kid, and something about even his televised presence touched me, and moved me to respect.

Hope

Princesinha
Christianity stands or falls with its revolutionary protest against violence, arbitrariness and pride of power and with its plea for the weak. Christians are doing too little to make these points clear rather than too much. Christendom adjusts itself far too easily to the worship of power. Christians should give more offense, shock the world far more, than they are doing now. Christian should take a stronger stand in favor of the weak rather than considering first the possible right of the strong."

- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Bonhoeffer was murdered by Hitler. He gets my vote for one of the greatest Christians of the 20th Century.

I agree with this.

I also vote for Richard Wurmbrand, the Romanian who founded Voice of the Martyrs, an organization that ministers to persecuted Christians around the world. I read his story Tortured for Christ many years ago, and it had a profound impact upon me. He spent a total of 14 years imprisoned by the brutal Communist secret police, during which time he suffered horrendous torture and abuse. But he never lost his faith in Christ, and refused to stop helping the underground churches. His powerful testimony brought an awareness to free Christians around the world to the plight of their persecuted brethren, and consequently, through Voice of the Martyrs, has brought help and relief to thousands of those being persecuted.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Mother Teresa was a scam artist The vast majority of the some 50 million USD she collected did NOT go to the poor, and was instead placed in her organization's buildings. Half of her structures are actually nunneries. And have you been to her hospitals? I have seen Soviet gulags that have better medical wings. They are more like prisons- nobody is allowed to visit them- then actual hospitals.

But I could yell for days about how many people Mother Teresa has made suffer in order for them to become closer to Christ (She actually believed this).

I voted for MLK Jr.