• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Would You Save?

Who would you be most inclined to save?

• The person who enthusiastically shared your views on religion

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • The person who was contemptuous of your views on religion

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No preference between the two

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Suppose two people were trapped in a building on fire, and you could rescue only one of them. Further suppose that one of the those people enthusiastically shared your views on religion, while the other person was contemptuous of your views on religion. Given a choice, would you be more inclined to save the person who enthusiastically shared your views than the person who was contemptuous of your views? Why or why not?

BONUS QUESTION: Suppose you had the choice to save both. Would there be any circumstances in which you refused to save one or the other? If so, which one would you refuse to save? Why?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Save the contemptuous one - might gain a convert :D

Also the Christian one would die in a state of Grace, while the non-Christian would not, so I'd worry over him more. I wouldn't be worrying about the soul of the Christian, but if I could save a soul and bring it to repentance not to die in his sin, then that would be great.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Suppose two people were trapped in a building on fire, and you could rescue only one of them. Further suppose that one of the those people enthusiastically shared your views on religion, while the other person was contemptuous of your views on religion. Given a choice, would you be more inclined to save the person who enthusiastically shared your views than the person who was contemptuous of your views? Why or why not?
BONUS QUESTION: Suppose you had the choice to save both. Would there be any circumstances in which you refused to save one or the other? If so, which one would you refuse to save? Why?

For me a persons religious belief wouldn't have much to do with that kind of decision. I might choose to save a younger person rather than an older one, or perhaps the person with children to look after, a kind person rather than a nasty one, that kind of thing.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
For me a persons religious belief wouldn't have much to do with that kind of decision. I might choose to save a younger person rather than an older one, or perhaps the person with children to look after, a kind person rather than a nasty one, that kind of thing.
Do you really mean to say that if I was in a burning building, about to collapse into a conflagration, that you would save the gorgeous young lady beside me first?
Right....... Got it!

:p

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

..will try to save both.

Laika

Premium Member
Can I not run into a burning building based on self-preservation or sheer sadism? Or is this sort of selfless compassion mandatory?

This could also be a good oppurtunity to take their valuables. Maybe "borrow" their car as they wont be needing it anymore. ;)

(Voted no preference).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

No preference based on this criterion; my actions would be based which I would be able to save and still survive myself. If I decided to sacrifice myself in order to save both, that would also reflect no preference. There might be other criteria on which I would save one in preference to the other, however.
If I could save both while surviving, I would save both.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Do you really mean to say that if I was in a burning building, about to collapse into a conflagration, that you would save the gorgeous young lady beside me first?
Right....... Got it!
:p

It might depend why a gorgeous young lady was standing next to you in fire, and whether your fire hose was on display. :p

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
A great question to make us think, thanks. :)

I'd save the ones who lived the main aspect of my religious belief; which is 'do they live Oneness or are they just full of their own ego in someway.'
Would there be any circumstances in which you refused to save one or the other? If so, which one would you refuse to save? Why?
There would be lots of circumstances, where the deciding factor all rests on that one point, of if people follow Oneness or Twoness (some idol as their focus).

Like in an end of the world scenario of who gets through, it would be those who live Oneness...

As in a disaster it is only through unity, that we survive...

One man can not save the human race, it always takes unity to create a family. ;)

Based on a religious fundamental answer:

Knowing where people contradict their own religious texts, I'm still generally trying to help them get out of the fire....

Thus my verdict isn't based on what their religious text says completely; yet ego vs Oneness is still the real reason I'd remember them in Heaven. :innocent: