• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Would You Save?

Who would you be most inclined to save?

• The person who enthusiastically shared your views on religion

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • The person who was contemptuous of your views on religion

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No preference between the two

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
Suppose two people were trapped in a building on fire, and you could rescue only one of them. Further suppose that one of the those people enthusiastically shared your views on religion, while the other person was contemptuous of your views on religion. Given a choice, would you be more inclined to save the person who enthusiastically shared your views than the person who was contemptuous of your views? Why or why not?

BONUS QUESTION: Suppose you had the choice to save both. Would there be any circumstances in which you refused to save one or the other? If so, which one would you refuse to save? Why?
Unless either of those people are friends or family, I probably wouldn't run into a burning building at all. Something as trivial as what superstitions one or the other might hold really wouldn't even factor in.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Suppose two people were trapped in a building on fire, and you could rescue only one of them. Further suppose that one of the those people enthusiastically shared your views on religion, while the other person was contemptuous of your views on religion. Given a choice, would you be more inclined to save the person who enthusiastically shared your views than the person who was contemptuous of your views? Why or why not?

BONUS QUESTION: Suppose you had the choice to save both. Would there be any circumstances in which you refused to save one or the other? If so, which one would you refuse to save? Why?
Being a pragmatic realist, I'd simply go in and get the first person I encountered. No heroics. If I could save both, I would do so. I love confrontation and am immensely amused by views in opposition to my own as I get more mileage out of such discussions. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Being a pragmatic realist, I'd simply go in and get the first person I encountered. No heroics. If I could save both, I would do so. I love confrontation and am immensely amused by views in opposition to my own as I get more mileage out of such discussions. :)
I prefer the George Costanza approach....
costanza-fire-o.gif

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sadly, I'm one of the 4 people on the planet that hated Seinfeld.
The characters were supposed to be hateful.
I liked the series finale which really brought
home what terrible people they were.
Don't like Curb Your Enthusiasm either?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

This is one of those poll questions that begs for an "All else being equal" prefix, so ...
  • All else being equal I would save the person who shared my views.
  • If at all possible I would save both.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The characters were supposed to be hateful.
I liked the series finale which really brought
home what terrible people they were.
Don't like Curb Your Enthusiasm either?
I did like it for the first few episodes then I got tired of watching Larry David go into meltdown. Too predictable.

djhwoodwerks

Am I the only one that sees this question is asking which of the two people, you know personally, would you save? It's worded as if to say the people are strangers, "suppose two people", but then describes the people in a way that you would only know if you knew them personally. Unless of course, it means you would take the time in the burning building to ask these people what their religious beliefs are.

Hey Joe, remember the Christmas party? I'm taking Jim because you're a jerk!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sadly, I'm one of the 4 people on the planet that hated Seinfeld.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...!

Seriously, why would it be sad? I'm quite happy that I didn't like 90 percent of the couple hours I saw. Same with Friends. And a lot of other shows...

dust1n

Zindīq

You didn't put neither as an answer?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Everything else being equal, I will always save someone I love and value over someone I do not - as an extension of this, I will always save someone I like, or have a connection with, over someone I do not. With no other information, I would have an inherent bias in saving a rationally-skeptical-minded person over a superstition-minded person.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It might depend why a gorgeous young lady was standing next to you in fire, and whether your fire hose was on display. :p
Well, if I saw you standing there, screaming and hollering out in that burning building beside a gorgeous sweet young maiden, I would rush in, tell her that I would be right back, chuck you over my shoulder in fireman's lift and get you out first.
Oh yes I would! Certainly! No doubt about it.

But do you believe me?

:p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Everything else being equal, I will always save someone I love and value over someone I do not - as an extension of this, I will always save someone I like, or have a connection with, over someone I do not. With no other information, I would have an inherent bias in saving a rationally-skeptical-minded person over a superstition-minded person.
So there's me, beside some equally old and ugly stranger in that burning inferno, when suddenly there you are, the hooded Kilgore, arms akimbo. And just when I think that I might have a chance you're handing out a questionnaire to both of us to fill in. :) :p

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If you were someone who believed in god, then wouldn't you want to save the one who doesn't, for the one who believes what you believe would already be saved, didn't your Jesus come to save those who to your belief were sinners ?.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If ask if they wanted me to help save them or have God save them.

I'd be very happy to oblige their wishes best as I can.