• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's infallible? Who's not?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This thread is open to everyone. However, due to the subject matter, it will be of interest primarily to Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholics.

This past summer I attended an LDS Apologetics Conference. One speaker made a statement which got a lot of laughs. I just thought I'd share it and see what you think of it:

"In Catholicism, the Pope’s infallible, but no one believes it. In Mormonism, the Prophet’s fallible, but no one believes it."

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I fully agree with the sentiment about ALL prophets being fallible. I would probably disagree with y'all about WHO is a prophet and who is not, but the Bible has no perfect people in it and states as such. :D

Aqualung

Tasty
I don't think she means "perfect," but rather, when they start discussing doctrine or stuff like that, they're always right. (maybe that's what she means, anyway...)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Nehustan said:
I'm infallible, while all other humans are fallible, and this is fallacious.

I agree; no human can be infallible; the only being who could be infallible would be God.

Fluffy

A fool
God could be infalliable if he wanted to. There is no reason why he would be unable to tell a lie.

Solon

Katzpur said:
This thread is open to everyone. However, due to the subject matter, it will be of interest primarily to Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholics.

This past summer I attended an LDS Apologetics Conference. One speaker made a statement which got a lot of laughs. I just thought I'd share it and see what you think of it:

"In Catholicism, the Pope’s infallible, but no one believes it. In Mormonism, the Prophet’s fallible, but no one believes it."
To which prophet do you refer, Young, Smith or Pratt, you LDS, you have to have a lot of blind faith methinks.

S

SoyLeche

meh...
Solon said:
To which prophet do you refer, Young, Smith or Pratt, you LDS, you have to have a lot of blind faith methinks.

S
I'm thinking that she is referring to Hinkley. Pratt was never "The Prophet" (i.e. President of the Church), so he's out.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I think the thread title should change to "When did infallibility end? And who had it?" Because if pushed, Protestants won't deny that Paul was infallible. And he was human. He was certainly infallible when he penned the scriptures.

~Victor

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
I think the thread title should change to "When did infallibility end? And who had it?" Because if pushed, Protestants won't deny that Paul was infallible. And he was human. He was certainly infallible when he penned the scriptures.

~Victor
I'd deny that Paul was infallible, and he would probably agree :)

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
I'd deny that Paul was infallible, and he would probably agree :)
I meant to say Inspired.:) Sorry about that.
Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading your understanding of infallibility.

~Victor

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
I meant to say Inspired.:) Sorry about that.
Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading your understanding of infallibility.

~Victor
My understanding of what infallible means (and if I am wrong, please correct me) is "incapable of making a mistake/sinning". I would definately agreee that Paul was inspired.

Quiddity

SL, your understanding is incorrect. The Pope most certainly can sin.
Can the Pope make mistakes?
He can make mistakes in everything except when he is speaking to the “whole church” in relation to doctrinal matters. Otherwise known as ex-cathedra. He can make mistakes in the following areas:

Science
Disciplinary matters
Personal letters
Private conversations
His actions / sin

If you need more explanation go to:
Catholic Church has never changed Doctrine
post#59

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
He can make mistakes in everything except when he is speaking to the “whole church” in relation to doctrinal matters. Otherwise known as ex-cathedra. He can make mistakes in the following areas:

Science
Disciplinary matters
Personal letters
Private conversations
His actions / sin

post#59
I was pretty sure that my thoughts were wrong, but I'm also fairly certain that there are a lot of people with the same idea.

nutshell

Victor said:

Science
Disciplinary matters
Personal letters
Private conversations
His actions / sin

post#59
I would say your explanation is identical to how LDS view the Prophets. As men, they can make mistakes, but when speaking to the Church they are, in fact, infallible.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
nutshell said:
I would say your explanation is identical to how LDS view the Prophets. As men, they can make mistakes, but when speaking to the Church they are, in fact, infallible.
Can anyone actually be infallible ? It seems a impossibility.

Quiddity

michel said:
Can anyone actually be infallible ? It seems a impossibility.

In a similar way that St. Paul penned things without error. Do you believe in that?

~Victor

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Victor said:
And he was human. He was certainly infallible when he penned the scriptures.
Where does this doctrine come from? Certainly not the Scriptures. Paul contended that he was THE MOST SINFUL PERSON on the face of the earth, and I cannot ever remember him saying that his writings would not contain error. Only Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are perfect. EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE ELSE has "issues".