• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Atheists on Religiousforums?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Personally, I'm here to secretly and insidiously undermine the will of religious people in order to bring about the collapse of civilization as we know it. Either that, or for the beer. I can't recall which. At my age, you forget your goals now and then.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
What do atheists want to gain from religiousforums? Just asking. Iam curious.
Again, form a different perspective i was in only a few minutes ago (I took a lemon apricot cake out of the oven after all);

I seek to convey my journey to others! I seek to be understood and I seek confirmation; much as everyone does in one way or another (thought don't tell anyone because my admission will be used against me.)

I understand being raised in believing home; in having believe confirmed (more so than understanding); and I understand the difficulty in overcoming the indoctrination. On the other side it as if I was a simpleton, a fool, a village idiot.

My current delima, and it has been ongoing for some time, is in reconciling the idiocy of my past understanding with the enlightenment of my current view; in other words, the hypocrisy I experience when 'educating' believers.

When I denigrate believers on this site; I am a hypocrite. I seek to find peace with this situation.

Deidre

To annoy religionists?
To become religionists?

To bring you over to the dark siiiiiide...buwaahhaaaa! :D All part of their master plan.
Only kidding, Servant. lol ;)

In truth, many atheists were once theists. They do have a lot to share, and can offer a balanced view.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Because Religiousforums.com is a religious education forum where people of a great many belief systems come to discuss, debate, and argue.

Except the religious refuse to be educated, they think they already know it all. Unfortunately, all of that comes from their fevered imaginations, not the demonstrable facts.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because religion is one of the most offensive and backward thinking ideologies there is. There is nothing in this world that could be more valuable than understanding why people hold on to these backward ideas. Don't get me wrong, I understand HOW people have these deprecating views, but I wish to understand what it is that makes it so hard to shed the cultural dogmas that threaten to destroy the world.
Yes, God knows all the intelligent members who participate in these forums are threats to world being destroyed. Have you figured anything out yet for yourself about the ignorant, misguided, and mislead, the deceived? Have you found a way to bring salvation to the lost, the path to the true way now that you've seen the Light for the world to follow, the path you've found for yourself?

Orbit

I'm a planet
I would echo Deidre. Many atheists here used to be theists. I used to be a Christian, for example. But just because I left Christianity doesn't mean that I find no value in the Bible, or that I lost interest in theology and church history. It also doesn't mean I lost my lifelong interest in world religions. Being an atheist also does not mean that I have no spirituality. I do, best characterized at the moment by the Perennial Philosophy. I am finding the Hindu DIR and conversations with Eastern Orthodox Christians very valuable. That's why I'm here.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Lots of opportunity of insight into the theistic mind (which is very alien indeed to me - IIRC I was caught by complete surprise when I realized that people actually believed in those "god" concepts back when I was ten years old or so), as well as of discussion of what religion actually is in practice and what it should aim to be.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think if you cannot handle someone questioning your beliefs, then you should really look deep into that belief, like many who once were religious and left, and now feel free, just like you believe you feel free within that religion, both parties have something to say.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The religious forums is comparing, debating, and discussing anything. Mostly religious in topic; but, it is not of a specific religion, and specific perspective. Atheist have morals just as a Christian just as a Hindu. We are all humans sharing our beliefs, opinions, and faith. Nothing more than that.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Yes, God knows all the intelligent members who participate in these forums are threats to world being destroyed. Have you figured anything out yet for yourself about the ignorant, misguided, and mislead, the deceived? Have you found a way to bring salvation to the lost, the path to the true way now that you've seen the Light for the world to follow, the path you've found for yourself?
Well, let's get past you ASSUMPTION of the divine if we can; I believe ignorance is greater than deception; I'm not conference with personal salvation; and I believe the path forward is to engage in open discussion; THAT IS WHY I'M HERE.

I admit it is very difficult to explain, and impossible to communicate 100% precisely; after attending church for several decades, after earning several advance degrees including a masters in ecology, evolution and organismal biology; after being a baptist minister for a decade and receiving honors at seminary; after reading the protesttant bible cover to cover 7 times and reading excerpts uncountable times; just how certain my knowledge is.

And yet I am a 'functional' atheist..i.e. I will not assert the non-existence of a super-nature; but I will assert the absolute insignificance of a super-nature to the here and now.

My question would be what god would place the belief in himself above the human condition, here and now?

Norrin-6-

To annoy religionists?
To become religionists?
1. Why would my being here annoy you?
2. And that's the option that wouldn't annoy you?

I get to engage with a diverse group of people about topics that stimulate me? My agenda isn't to gain anything per se, but I suppose we all gain something from the things we do in our spare time.

Sees

Dragonslayer
....I admit it is very difficult to explain, and impossible to communicate 100% precisely; after attending church for several decades, after earning several advance degrees including a masters in ecology, evolution and organismal biology; after being a baptist minister for a decade and receiving honors at seminary; after reading the protesttant bible cover to cover 7 times and reading excerpts uncountable times; just how certain my knowledge is...

i-don-amp-039-t-always-brag-in-front-of-people_fb_1313731.jpg

...My question would be what god would place the belief in himself above the human condition, here and now?

One which is part of relatively few theologies? :D