• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are Humans Inherently Crazy?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When one takes a hard look at human behavior, it is obvious that madness is a deeply ingrained human characteristic. Rationality is not the natural state of man, but a mix of rationality and irrationality. There is an inherent insanity in human nature. Perhaps, we are even the most insane of all the Great Apes.

Why is that? Why do we have this mix of rationality and irrationality?

How did this mix of rationality and irrationality that is human nature evolve?

What does it mean for the human prospect?

Can a crazy mind conceive of anything other than a crazy deity? Are our deities doomed to be as crazy as we are?

standing_on_one_foot

I wouldn't go so far as to say crazy, for the most part, although the phrase "highly illogical" does come to mind. But I figure a lot of it comes from the fact that really, it's very difficult to think about everything you do and still function. A lot of it generally goes on autopilot, with mixed results...

And the world is a pretty crazy and confusing place. One would expect it to rub off a little.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
standing_on_one_foot said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say crazy, for the most part, although the phrase "highly illogical" does come to mind. But I figure a lot of it comes from the fact that really, it's very difficult to think about everything you do and still function. A lot of it generally goes on autopilot, with mixed results...

And the world is a pretty crazy and confusing place. One would expect it to rub off a little.

You don't think humans are often and frequently crazy? Just look at politics. What do you see when you look at politics? Rational behavior?

standing_on_one_foot

Sunstone said:
You don't think humans are often and frequently crazy? Just look at politics. What do you see when you look at politics? Rational behavior?
You'd have to define crazy. Sure, phrases like illogical, self-serving, or short-sighted are often applicable, but I wouldn't necessarily qualify that as crazy. Sometimes crazy. But I think to just call it that is severly oversimplifying matters.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
standing_on_one_foot said:
You'd have to define crazy. Sure, phrases like illogical, self-serving, or short-sighted are often applicable, but I wouldn't necessarily qualify that as crazy. Sometimes crazy. But I think to just call it that is severly oversimplifying matters.

I think of illogical, self serving and short sighted as crazy. I'm not talking about a clinical definition here. There is no clinical definition of crazy. I just mean crazy in a common language way.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Childish behaviour.

I think standing is right; you'll have to be more specific as to what you define as crazy. Personally, I think it's crazy just to participate in politics.

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
When one takes a hard look at human behavior, it is obvious that madness is a deeply ingrained human characteristic. Rationality is not the natural state of man, but a mix of rationality and irrationality. There is an inherent insanity in human nature. Perhaps, we are even the most insane of all the Great Apes.

Irrationality is not separate from rationality; it is a faulty process of rationality. It can arrive from faulty observation, inferior education, or combining "apples and oranges". It is a triumph of the non-world over reality.

It would require better education (even to the self-taught) and peer review.

Can a crazy mind conceive of anything other than a crazy deity? Are our deities doomed to be as crazy as we are?
Yes to both questions. "In his image" is correct when "his" means humanity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Good post, Pah! I myself am not so sure whether irrationality is merely a failure of rationality, or whether there is not in some ways built in irrationality in humans. What do you think?

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
Good post, Pah! I myself am not so sure whether irrationality is merely a failure of rationality, or whether there is not in some ways built in irrationality in humans. What do you think?
In an evolutionary sense, irrationality does not futher prospects of survival. It would be detremental if it were separate and ascendent over rationality.

Compare it to vision. Faulty vision impares survival but it is still vision. Vision is the characteristic even when there is no vision.

IMO.

Faint

Sunstone said:
Seemingly insane behavior is often rational when you understand the motives and the ignorance behind it...the method of the "madness". In the case of politicians denying global warming for example, they often do so because (1) they think it is in their personal best interest (in terms of money/lifestyle potential) to support the environment destroyers, and (2) they are ignorant as to better options for making money, or simply ignorant to the facts of global warming.

This can apply to the religious as well. I would not say someone is necessarily insane for believing in some invisible sky god or denying science, but I would argue that their belief/meme-complex carrys a benefit (at least they think it does) to them AND that they are naive or ignorant to more rational options. I've read the posts of many people on this forum for example who discuss/debate very rationally when their side of the issue is completely irrational. I don't mean that as an attack, just a statement of the truth. And I've probably used a few logical fallacies myself.

The point is that people usually seem to think they're doing the right, rational thing (at least for themselves)...but they usually don't know any better. And if they do, they are still marvelous at justifying their own irrational behavior.

Hacker

Sunstone said:
When one takes a hard look at human behavior, it is obvious that madness is a deeply ingrained human characteristic.
Could you give me some examples of what you observe to come up with that assessment? Are there specific places that your referring to? I'm not disagreeing with you BTW.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Sunstone said:

To the insane, constructing a personal mythology is the hallmark of insanity.

"I'm going off the rails on a crazy train."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
sandy whitelinger said:
Only the ones you invent.

So, could it be said that an indication a deity was invented by humans is that the deity is crazy?

standing_on_one_foot

Although I must say, I do have a deep fondness for the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Just for that I might have to start subscribing to this theory.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sunstone said:

I think this rational/irrational mix has come about from our ability to percieve both logic and abstraction. Since our brains are said to be divided between the logical and the imaginative, it makes our view of reality rather convoluted - especially between individuals. Hence, the use of the phrase "shared view of reality."

Both logic and abstraction help us percieve our world and draw plans for survival. Abstraction helps when logic fails.

As for the crazy deity, I would say that it would depend on whether the person was aware of what craziness was. I think it would go either way. I think there are some non-crazy people who concieve of a crazy deity.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Humans are still getting used to these massive and powerful brains we've evolved. We still haven't quite figured out how to use them.

Sunstone said:

Well, I think it has a great deal to do with the fact that we don't live in the same kind of environment we evolved in, and the fact that there are now so many of us that just by the odds there are bound to be a certain percentage of the population who are "crazy". Also, I think we are very repressed, both sexually and in other ways, that our brains get scrambled trying to live the way our society expects us to, when we aren't really suited to the currently acceptable behaviour. For example, I think we did not evolve to be monogamous, and yet most of us are forced to try to be monogamous, though most of us fail in that, and feel a consequent guilt for that failure.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I would say there are inherently irrational attributes to racism or sexism. If you can allow for those under what you term irrational I think I could at least suggest something as to why we're 'crazy' in that sense.

Sunstone said:
Natural selection perhaps, as you seem to suggest with the next question.

Sunstone said:
If rationality can be expressed as ability to seek good information and act on it, it would have obvious (as in I don't need to go into it) survival benefits. In some instances rationality might be a hindrance.

This is just speculative, to give an idea of how irrational behaviour/thinking could benefit us.

In the instances of sex and race (and other ethnic/tribal etc arbitrary lines) rational thinking would, according to my understanding, show us that there is no good reason justifying demonisation, authority, dominance or whatever form the -ism takes. Except, of course, that it might benefit a hypothetical tribesman/woman's genes (and his or her tribe consequently - an extension of his/her gene pool) to develop a fear and hate of 'others' (due to conflicts over resources like land) and would almost certainly benefit genes that happen to find themselves in men to subordinate women. That is to say there may have been selective pressure on humans to be 'crazy' as you put it Phil.

I apologise for my clumsy expression, once I've thought more on the topic I should be able to formulate things more precisely and concisely.

Sunstone said:
Confused and ignorant people, unable to understand natural biases behaving irrationaly because they believe it's right (or it feels right). It might seem a little controversial to say so, but I wouldn't condemn someone for feeling racist, only acting racist.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
So, could it be said that an indication a deity was invented by humans is that the deity is crazy?

I suppose that an in-depth examination by a panel of qualified psychiatrists could make that determination. They could probably prescribe Ritalin or maybe some sort of shock treatment as well.