• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are people mean?

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
More likely you're proving my point whilst thinking that you're proving your point.:cool:

:tree:

But I don't have a point, so the only point in question is yours, and the need to prove your own point is a strong proof of the point you are making herein.

:angel2:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
But I don't have a point, so the only point in question is yours, and the need to prove your own point is a strong proof of the point you are making herein.

:angel2:

lol Circular logic much? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think I proved the point that you weren't trying to prove yet proved regardless of the fact that I wasn't initially trying to make a point.:cool:

Just admit defeat, it's alright.:beach:

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
lol Circular logic much? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think I proved the point that you weren't trying to prove yet proved regardless of the fact that I wasn't initially trying to make a point.:cool:

Just admit defeat, it's alright.:beach:

LOL :p

Defeat and victory are for real skirmishes :sw:- this is mere lighthearted play. :dan:

Antiochian

Rationalist
Some people may be genetically prone to meanness. Upbringing may play a roll, also as well as peer pressure/relations, various forms of mental illness, and who knows what other reasons. What irks me is when someone is cruel who claims to believe in a loving God. Some of the most awful people in my experience are some of the most faithful churchgoers. What's wrong with that picture?

WhyAmI

Fortunately, not everyone is like that.

I think if a culture values compassion, its people will be more likely to behave compassionately. I don't know about your culture, but mine doesn't seem to place as much value on compassion and kindness as I'd like it to (heh...I say this after I commented on cursing someone in another thread :rolleyes: ).
I agree with your statement about what a culture values. I try so hard not to be cynical, but as we watch what passes for "entertainment' these days, as well as a political climate that seems angrier and more vicious than ever, our culture here in the US appears to place far less value on kindness and compassion than it does on angry rhetoric, sarcasm and plain meanness. I myself am ashamed to say that I have subjected a dear one with sarcasm in my effort to make a point. All is not lost, however!! There is PLENTY of goodness in our world. We just have to look a little harder for it sometimes. It doesn't get as much "press" and attention as the uglier stuff. Face it, insults and attacks make for more interesting soundbites. I lament this deeply, of course, and I pray that things shift back to kindness and compassion soon...before it's too late. The Golden Rule we learned as children would do us all a world of good! Thank you for reading!

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear christi ,

Don't have a job or gf? You're a loser.
Can't compete, too soft? You're a loser.
Put simply, you aren't successful, wealthy, charming, and sociable. Yup, you're a loser.

Fine, even if you're a loser, it is still only the loser who needs more compassion than the winner. Isn't that obvious? If you have no money or friends or good job, in short you have nothing going for you, surely you deserve more sympathy than those who have all these things.

I am sad to hear this story , sadly it happens all to often , some how I think people lack the courage to truely look at reality , if they looked at it then they would have to do someting , so it is easier to look the other way , or simply rebuff what they do not want to adress by laying blame , you'r a looser , it stops them from having to look honestly at the situation and admit that they could help in some way , even just by being a little human and giving a little support , or freindliness .

Yet people do the exact opposite - they mock you when they ought to be holding your hands. They judge you when they ought to be sympathizing with you. And the funny thing is, these people (the ones who mock you) sympathize with some rich celebrity who probably doesn't care they exist. They cry for some stupid celebrity that has the common cold, yet they mock the little guy who really needs a lot of support and sympathy.

Why? Why are people so mean, especially those who call themselves civilized and educated?
why ? ahamkara !
(false identification with the self , with the ego)

sadly there are a lot of people in this world who have lost touch with humanity , unfortunately it is they that are lost .

just remember tides turn ,

wishing you well

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Don't you think that the real loser is one who thinks it's important what others think of him/her?

It's simple part of human nature- survival.
It's also a result of people lacking confidence and self-awareness. We put other people down to feel better about ourselves.

Survival is pretty much a neat summary. But to give an example, people often become violent when presented with a threat. Fanaticism is in fact often a response to the feeling of threat.

How is a person who can't possibly compete with you, a threat?

I value survival too, but this doesn't pan out. Survival actually dictates kindness, if only to have favors owed when one is later in need.

I would say, it's because of secular "morality" popular in our culture. We used to care about the underdog, the guy who wasn't all that good at stuff, but kept trying. But since popular culture now likes people like Swartzenegger and Bruce Willis, that go out and have adventures, things like sympathy are suddenly out. Now it's do the "right thing", even though culture no longer backs the right people.

Example, if you go to some job and are like "please, I will starve if I don't have something to do" they'll tell you they don't care (effectively sentencing you to death), and hire some well-dressed guy out of college. What they say: "If you don't care enough to respect the company and dress up... you obviously aren't a good worker." What they mean: "If you're rich enough to afford a nice coat and tie, you obviously need this job." (What?!?) Explain to me again why a CEO was paid millions to run a company, did a day's work and retired?

Last edited: