• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are religious people more disgustingly stupid, barbaric, and evil?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Even if god exists, and even if god has morals, and even if those morals are objective standards, you would still have to take on faith that god exists, that god has morals and that those morals are objective standards. You have no objective means of discerning any of that, and so you are reduced to faith.
Well that's true with Love, Beauty, value, etc... that we all take as facts. There is another line of reasoning concerning this. If God is the only source of objective morals then the presence of them even if it is in the nature of presence of the things I mentioned above then they would be considered as valid concepts and therefore God exists. I can tell this discussion has no bottom to it that will be arrived at anytime soon. I will have to continue tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well that's true with Love, Beauty, value, etc... that we all take as facts. There is another line of reasoning concerning this. If God is the only source of objective morals then the presence of them even if it is in the nature of presence of the things I mentioned above then they would be considered as valid concepts and therefore God exists. I can tell this discussion has no bottom to it that will be arrived at anytime soon. I will have to continue tomorrow.

It's an interesting discussion, but at this point I don't think we're in any likelihood of reaching an agreement, so I'm going to bow out -- unless I get so bored that I feel like returning to the discussion just to ameliorate my ennui. :p

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yeah that's a good way to establish truth. If anyone "feels" anything it is true. Some people feel like helping their neiboors some people feel like eating them.

If you take most civilizations in the world, most have common moral grounds. This is because morality comes both from the heart and from culture. In the measure that we can better understand the heart and develop emphathy, the better we can do a morality that works for all of us.
Yeah that's a good way to establish truth. If anyone "feels" anything it is true.

It´s called faith ;) (irresistble :p )

Yeah that's a good way to establish truth. If anyone "feels" anything it is true. Some people feel like helping their neiboors some people feel like eating them. In Atheism they are both valid. For a group of people who are always asserting the superiority of their logic this is pathetic.

I meant objective worth. While your system may allow for the worth of individuals in your group. It is incapable of establishing objective value for something you don't personally value. Since that is necessary Atheism doesn't work.

Atheism isn´t supposed to "work" for it. It´s like trying to judge a book about cooking by it´s ability to teach you about painting.

Knowing how to cook doesn´t hinder your ability to paint, you can know both, but one has it´s time and the other one it´s other time.

I mean theism doesn´t have to do with morality neither. Both nordic religions and christian religions have gods, they are both theists. Yet we can say that Bob the Atheist of today that gives to charity takes care of his friends and loved ones and takes care not to damage anyone is probably better than the viking that can literaly murder one of his townsfolk because he wanted to look more cool or because he insulted him, etc.

Now you´ll say that is because vikings werent following the appropiate religion. Well, then I´ll say that an atheist that is not a humanist is not following the proper moral system if he is not a "humanist". It´s the same.

Neither atheism nor theism are supposed to have anything to do with morality in themselves. So your whole argument is null.

With what? I guess you pretty much operate by feelings on all issues. What profound wisdom.

If you truly know your feelings (and there is a big catch right there) it could actually be very profound wisdom. That´s not what I said previously though. I said morality is about feelings. If you can´t feel that helping your fellow wo/man is okay because it feels okay, you probably have a lot of emotional digging to do.

I can justify my value through Christianity in about 30 seconds.

If you just felt it, you wouldn´t need a second.

atheism is not about self worth. Atheism is about not believing in God.

The same way, theism is not about self worth. Theism is about believing in god/s.

Both can be used (and have been used, wheter you like it or not) to both a way of self deprecation and a way of self worth.

Some people find a lot more self worth in atheism. Some people find a lot more self worth in theism. Their purposes have nothing to do with self worth anyways, but you can find self worth in anything.

You can find self-worth in cooking, even though cooking as about making tasty food, not even necesarily for yourself.

The behavior you are describing is exactly what non-theistic evolution would produce. A heard mentality. Atheism is even worse. Your claim that their values were objective is completely wrong.

Of course my claim of atheist values being objective is not wrong. It would need to exist to be wrong. So at least tell me where did I say such a thing so we can then say if it is wrong.

I am glad you are displaying the superior equanimity and civility you suggest atheism produces.

I never said that atheism is going to do any of these things for you. If you could quote me on that I would be amazed.

Between the two of us you have displayed more barbarity, intolerance, and rank incompetence, and then have the nerve to assign those characteristics to the other person who has not done so.

A group of people actually. But if you felt aluded, I wouldn´t be at all surprised.

Atheism on parade.

Enjoy the parade!

[youtube]VdtwTeBPYQA[/youtube]
'Atheist' Nations Are More Peaceful - YouTube

Find me one scripture that uses the words that slavery is good. You should understand the bible if you are going to comment on it.

Leviticus and deuteronomy if I am not mistaken. I am truly astonished you haven´t heard it before.

I am astonished that someone would use something as frivolous as feelings to try desperately to give Atheism a capability it doesn't have.

Doesn´t astonish me. Then again, I don´t know who you are talking about. I merely said that understand your feelings and those of others are a great way to start understanding morality.

I never pretended that it made Atheism "moral".

Both atheism and theism are "amoral". This means, morqaly neutral. They are not inherently moral nor immoral in themselves.

Only an atheist can produce a thread using insults against religous people to suggest religous people are evil. Simply astonishing.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

If you are astonished now then you should look at the religion of the thread starter

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
We have more than enough experience with societies that militantly reject religion and the result is not pretty.

That´s anti-theism, and it is different.

But we do are comparing apples and pears here.

I am not saying theism is moraly inferior (I am a theist), I am merely pointing out that a religion(that could very well be an atheist one) has moral perils than atheism doesn´t have. In the same way it will have moral benefits that atheism doesn´t have.

This is because atheism shouldn´t be compared to a morality. Atheism is not a morality. now if we were to compare atheistic humanism with a religion, then we´d be talking.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You need to reread my post and stop putting words in my mouth. I plainly said there would still be crime, war and nasty people even without religion in the world. Second, I never said religous people were not cabable of reason and logic, I said religion is not founded on reason and evidence (which is completely true).

I said it was what you seemed to say. From the tone of your posts (and not just the one I replied), that is what I had gathered. I could be wrong, and very well may be but I stand by my opinion for now. :foot:

Chisti

Does anyone know of historical instances where atheists have committed murder because they were motivated by their atheism?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Many would suggest that the rule of Stalin included a systematic example of such a thing Christi. Personally however, I believe that while some strong-theists and anti-theists (rather than other types of non theists) may indeed be capable of such mindsets as they incorporate a belief and strong opinions about that (while non theism generally has a more abstract) in terms of the demonstrated history of atheism generated violence, the case is not so clear, for starters there are significant difficulties posed by the issue of demarcating atheism generated violence from satanism related violence and the like which are often lumped together... as well as the difficulties posed by the correlation between atheism and secular mindsets, where the secular mindset might generate violence independent of the atheistic or theistic underpinnings.

chinu

chinu
There is no good - or even coherent - answer to the question: its sole redeeming quality is that it's more honest than many.
By wearing women's uniform, can any man become a women ? or by wearing men's uniform, can any women become a man ? :no: never..
Or
By speaking in women's voice, can any man become a women ? or by speaking in men's voice, can any women become a man ? :no: never..

Similarly by wearing religious clothes, or by singing religious hymm's, or by following religious rites and ritulas etc.. One can never become a true religious person. That's why they are more disgustingly stupid etc.. :)

How about this answer ?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Produce one scripture outside the levitical law in the old testament that states that slavery or killing children for disobedience is an encouraged practice.
Why outside? That's where the laws are.

Keep in mind no one was or is expected to follow the old testament except the Jewish people and that for only a certain period of time.
Where in the Levitical laws did it say they would eventually expire?

Produce one scripture outside the levitical law in the old testament that states that slavery or killing children for disobedience is an encouraged practice. Keep in mind no one was or is expected to follow the old testament except the Jewish people and that for only a certain period of time. Also remember that Christ is the clearest and highest example of God's character and has precedent over all other interpretational squabbles and warped use of scripture, and he enslaved and killed no one. In fact his example true or false is the highest pattern of virtue in human history. Then we will debate your contention.

First off, Christ said he didn't come to abolish the law. Second, I find it interesting that a slave owner could beat a slave to death (as long as the slave didn't die right away) and get away with it scott free. There's all sorts of weird stuff in the bible that is repugnant to modern western society. When I used to be christian and studied the bible it truly seemed that the old testament and new testament were two completely different religions. Christ had some good teachings, and some of them were unrealistic. If people actually followed Christ's teachings they would be pacifists living in hippie communes and abhor amassing wealth. JW's are close to what I would expect people to be like who really follow Christ's teachings.

I do not think and have never wrote that I know of, that Atheists are any less capable of being Moral than any other person.

Not in a direct manner. You have basically been implying that the "Morals" of your religion are better than "Morals" supplied by any other belief system. Furthermore, "morals" not given a deity's seal of approval are basically meaningless and flawed. So, atheists are basically without a moral compass by your standards.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If you truly know your feelings (and there is a big catch right there) it could actually be very profound wisdom. That´s not what I said previously though. I said morality is about feelings. If you can´t feel that helping your fellow wo/man is okay because it feels okay, you probably have a lot of emotional digging to do.
Yes I feel like helping my fellow man because I have a concience given from God So do you but you reject God and invent an insupportable counter explanation for you concience. True morality is doing whats right even when you don't feel like. Suppose a policeman just wasn't feeling good who was driving by your house and saw a couple of known murderers enter your house. By your rational he checks his feelings and drives on. If those people killed your family you would be screeming: screw his feelings that policeman has a duty (another word that is meaningless in atheism) Atheism also makes the word Should in this context meaningless.

If you just felt it, you wouldn´t need a second.
That is why murders happen everyday. People acting on feelings instead of reason do stupid things.

atheism is not about self worth. Atheism is about not believing in God.
No kidding, so self worth has no meaning in atheism. So what do you point to when someone says he "feels" like killing some people. His feeling are just as valid as the victims. I will tell you what you appeal to. the same thing humans have appealed to throughout history. An objective moral value.That is exactly what you would appeal to when thirty seconds after you implement your feelings system and people start killing each other.

The same way, theism is not about self worth. Theism is about believing in god/s.
Christian theism is about many things includeing the worth of life. This is a completely inaccurate statement.

Both can be used (and have been used, wheter you like it or not) to both a way of self deprecation and a way of self worth.
So, I can say that I am valuable because I found this stick. That means nothing. The issue is does the stick have anything to do with worth. Atheism can be claimed to justify self worth even thoughit in no way does or could. Religion can be used and is a source of worth. The only one.

Some people find a lot more self worth in atheism. Some people find a lot more self worth in theism. Their purposes have nothing to do with self worth anyways, but you can find self worth in anything.
People and their "feelings" are notoriously faulty. I don't care if a person claims that chocolate gives them self worth. It doesn't.

You can find self-worth in cooking, even though cooking as about making tasty food, not even necesarily for yourself.
What? you can find enjoyment but not self value in cooking. Even if you could someone else doesn't consider cooking as giving you value and based on feelings from a bad breakfast could kill and that is fine in your system. An objective worth is necessary and not provided by your strange philosophy.

Of course my claim of atheist values being objective is not wrong. It would need to exist to be wrong. So at least tell me where did I say such a thing so we can then say if it is wrong
It doesn't matter, Atheism does not have the capability to establish objective morals. In fact it is the system I would design if useless subjective values is what is needed. No philosopher or scholar I have ever heard and that is many (atheists included) has even bothered to suggest atheism can produce objective values. They usually just deny objective values exist and move on.

I never said that atheism is going to do any of these things for you. If you could quote me on that I would be amazed.
I have forgotten what this is based on I withdraw it but will add in an Atheist system anything that is concluded to exist would have had to come from within atheism. You seem to want to seperate Atheism from it's inconvenient implications.

A group of people actually. But if you felt aluded, I wouldn´t be at all surprised.
I have forgotten what this is based on I withdraw it for lack of interest.

Enjoy the parade!
I can't watch videos where I am. What atheistic nations were mentioned. It sure wasn't Russia or China I hope.

Leviticus and deuteronomy if I am not mistaken. I am truly astonished you haven´t heard it before.
I am very familiar with the fact that atheists claim this and can't actually produce. You have proven the point, thanks. I asked for specific scriptures that use your words and you give me books because the scriptures don't exist.

Doesn´t astonish me. Then again, I don´t know who you are talking about. I merely said that understand your feelings and those of others are a great way to start understanding morality.
Well that says a lot about you. It astonishes proffessional philosophers.
An Example:
Student: There is too much evil in this world; therefore, there cannot be a God!
Speaker: Would you mind if I asked you something? You said, “God cannot exist because there is too much evil.” If there is such a thing as evil, aren’t you assuming that there is such a thing as good?
Student: I guess so.
Speaker: If there is such a thing as good, you must affirm a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil.
Speaker: In a debate between the philosopher Frederick Copleston and the atheist Bertrand Russell, Copleston said, “Mr. Russell, you do believe in good and bad, don’t you?” Russell answered, “Yes, I do.” “How do you differentiate between good and bad?” challenged Copleston. Russell shrugged his shoulders and said, “On
the basis of feeling – what else?” I must confess, Mr. Copleston was a kindlier gentleman than many others. The appropriate “logical kill” for the moment would have been, “Mr. Russell, in some cultures they love their neighbors; in other cultures they eat them, both on the basis of feeling. Do you have any preference?”
Speaker: When you say there is evil, aren’t you admitting there is good? When you accept the existence of goodness, you must affirm a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But when you admit to a moral law, you must posit a moral lawgiver. That, however, is who you are trying to disprove and not prove. For if there is no moral lawgiver, there is no moral law.
If there is no moral law, there is no good. If there is no good, there is no evil.
What, then, is your question?

Student: What, then, am I asking you?
http://www.meadowlarkchurch.org/pdf/study_20041102041446.pdf
Feelings are the absolute worse attempt at defending morals in atheism I have ever heard and I have heard some bad ones. Emphasis above is mine.

I never pretended that it made Atheism "moral".
Good thing, however you also didn't say that atheism excludes the only source of objective morals. In effect it is causeing this problem.

Both atheism and theism are "amoral". This means, morqaly neutral. They are not inherently moral nor immoral in themselves.
You reasoning is wrong. Theism is moral regardless of the deity suggested. The moral requirements may be different between deities but there is still a standard. Atheism to be a state sytem must exclude the only justification for morality because of rebellion and ignorance and so it is immoral.

If you are astonished now then you should look at the religion of the thread starter

I will give you this one, I assumed it couldn't be a religous person insulting religous people.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If you take most civilizations in the world, most have common moral grounds. This is because morality comes both from the heart and from culture. In the measure that we can better understand the heart and develop empathy, the better we can do a morality that works for all of us.
Feeling absolutely guaranties injustice if used as a basis for morality. Most of us usually have every feeling imaginable about any particular thing. Take a friend, sometimes you feel like spending time with them, sometime you want to knock them out, and etc...... Some people feel like taking over the world, some destroying the world. Which feeling is more valid and how do you know.

It´s called faith (irresistble )
Faith is a reasoned choice. Feelings are the effects of physical, emotional, and chemical input usualy based on things that rapidly and often change. Sometimes something as arbitrary as what we eat and are thinking about completely changes our feelings.
Atheism isn´t supposed to "work" for it. It´s like trying to judge a book about cooking by its ability to teach you about painting.
Since Atheism rules out the things that can work for it is a self-destructive view. That's like saying some one bought a machine pumped out all the oxygen in your house and killed you but it isn't the machines or the persons fault because the machine isn't supposed to provide oxygen.
Knowing how to cook doesn´t hinder your ability to paint, you can know both, but one has it´s time and the other one it´s other time.
I mean theism doesn´t have to do with morality neither. Both Nordic religions and Christian religions have gods, they are both theists. Yet we can say that Bob the Atheist of today that gives to charity takes care of his friends and loved ones and takes care not to damage anyone is probably better than the Viking that can literally murder one of his townsfolk because he wanted to look more cool or because he insulted him, etc.
Now you´ll say that is because Vikings weren’t following the appropriate religion. Well, then I´ll say that an atheist that is not a humanist is not following the proper moral system if he is not a "humanist". It´s the same.
If your talking about humanism devoid of the transcendental then it is insupportable.
Neither atheism nor theism are supposed to have anything to do with morality in themselves. So your whole argument is null.
Atheism's core principle of the denial of God. That is a proactive stance that rules out the source of morality, meaning, purpose etc..... If you actually produced an atheist society it would and they have involved the active removal of religion. For atheism to be atheism is not a passive exercise. Agnosticism might be but still has other issues.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Not in a direct manner. You have basically been implying that the "Morals" of your religion are better than "Morals" supplied by any other belief system. Furthermore, "morals" not given a deity's seal of approval are basically meaningless and flawed. So, atheists are basically without a moral compass by your standards.
There are no objective morals in Atheism. It actually by definition rules out the only source for morality. Atheists can have a moral compass but they didn't get it from atheism.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Why outside? That's where the laws are.
As long as you remain civil I will discuss this issue. Have you read those laws? Many of them can't be performed outside the context of ancient Judaism as they require Levites to do them.

Where in the Levitical laws did it say they would eventually expire?

It isn't necessary that it do so. A higher authority than those books said it.

New International Version (©1984) Col 2:14
having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

New International Version (©1984) Rom 7:4
So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.

New International Version (©1984) 2 Cor 3:14
But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

New Living Translation (©2007) 2 Cor 3:14
But the people's minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in ChristWhat was removed?

http://bible.cc.htm

Here is a section from a study lesson. It is well written but goes a little farther than I do personally in removeing old laws.

(Colossians 2:14)
A. A variety of translations
1. The certificate of debt consisting of decrees (NASB)
2. The handwriting of requirements (NKJV)
3. The bond written in ordinances (ASV)
4. The written code, with its regulations (NIV)
5. The literal translation is “handwriting in the laws”
B. Similar passages
1. Ephesians 2:14-16 - Christ abolished the law of commandments contained in ordinances.
a. The word “dogma” appears here as “ordinances” as well as inColossians 2:14 as “decrees”
2. II Corinthians 3:7-18
a. The letters engraved on stone whose glory was fading away
b. Hence the apostles were ministers of a new covenant - II Corinthians 3:5-6
c. The old covenant was read with a veil - II Corinthians 3:14
d. But not so with the new.
e. Did that covenant include the 10 commandments? - Deuteronomy 4:12-13; 5:1-5, 22
3. Hebrews 8:13 - By using the word “new,” the implication is that the “old”has outlasted its usefulness.
IV. Why was it removed?
A. Hebrews 8:6-9
1. The new covenant is better than the old because it is based on better promises.
a. The old covenant was built on a promise of a future solution to sin.
b. The new covenant was built on the fact that a solution to sin had been given.
c. Which was the better promise?
2. The old had a fault, the fault is discussed in verse 9 – men where unable to keep it.
3. Hebrews 7:18-19 - The same ending of the old because of a weakness is discussed, but notice that the terms have changed from covenant to commandments and laws.

What Was Nailed to the Cross?

It is worth a vist to read the entire study to clarify the issue. A single verse in many cases cannot be understood without the context of the whole biblical narrative, especially on issues as complex as this.

His life was meant to obey the law and fullfill it. His death was meant to remove it in the life of the believer when he is born again, and relace it with new and more dynamic laws that are written in our hearts. (Because the bible clearly states that the old laws could not save anyone and fault was found in them.) However keep in mind I am speaking of levitical law not the deca law.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Yes indeed, and historically one of religion's major functions in pretty well all cultures has been to provide just that guise. As religion acts as the arbiter of what is and is not moral, it (almost uniquely) can sanitise any act, however atrocious.

What I am arguing is that societies since prehistory have engendered religions which fulfill perfectly mundane functions, one of which has been the sanctification of expedient aggression (internal and external).

No argument from me on that one. But are you really suggesting that science must inevitably displace religion?
Is it? Overtly atheistic states hardly dominate the world stage at the moment. Religion is very strong in China, whatever the official party line might be, and Putin has the Orthodox Church on his side. North Korea, anyone?

Possibly, but in the historical perspective religion has always done it best - after all, even killing children can be made virtuous if you convince yourself it's god's will - and once you've established that it's god's will, who can argue with you? No merely secular 'excuse' can carry that degree of potency.

To take a case in point - if appeal to religion to justify the massacres and land-grabs of the European crusades was a mis-use, then who in 11th century Europe was putting religion to its proper use?

A very generalized view that is based on as much ignorance as of those who mis-utilise religious teachings for spreading hatred.

To blame religion for fulfilling this role is futile: it's a tool, being used for its purpose. Whether people and societies would treat each other better if the tool weren't available is a moot point.

The sense of 'us and them' will still be there.

In fact, if you were to study deeply, you would know that religious teachings do help to get over the deep rooted error of 'us and them'.:)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I just tend to see this as a numbers thing. Most people in general aren't that smart and since religious folks have numbers, it stands to reason they have most of them. Clericalism doesn't help the situation when people feel "the answer is there if I really need to know"....without ever actually looking into it. It produces a very artificial and ingenuine type of religiousity.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
First off, Christ said he didn't come to abolish the law. Second, I find it interesting that a slave owner could beat a slave to death (as long as the slave didn't die right away) and get away with it scott free. There's all sorts of weird stuff in the bible that is repugnant to modern western society. When I used to be christian and studied the bible it truly seemed that the old testament and new testament were two completely different religions. Christ had some good teachings, and some of them were unrealistic. If people actually followed Christ's teachings they would be pacifists living in hippie communes and abhor amassing wealth. JW's are close to what I would expect people to be like who really follow Christ's teachings.

New International Version (©1984) Col 2:14
having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

New International Version (©1984) Rom 7:4
So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.

New International Version (©1984) 2 Cor 3:14
But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

New Living Translation (©2007) 2 Cor 3:14
But the people's minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in ChristWhat was removed?

http://bible.cc.htm

Here is a section from a study lesson. It is well written but goes a little farther than I do personally in removeing old laws.

(Colossians 2:14)
A. A variety of translations
1. The certificate of debt consisting of decrees (NASB)
2. The handwriting of requirements (NKJV)
3. The bond written in ordinances (ASV)
4. The written code, with its regulations (NIV)
5. The literal translation is “handwriting in the laws”
B. Similar passages
1. Ephesians 2:14-16 - Christ abolished the law of commandments contained in ordinances.
a. The word “dogma” appears here as “ordinances” as well as inColossians 2:14 as “decrees”
2. II Corinthians 3:7-18
a. The letters engraved on stone whose glory was fading away
b. Hence the apostles were ministers of a new covenant - II Corinthians 3:5-6
c. The old covenant was read with a veil - II Corinthians 3:14
d. But not so with the new.
e. Did that covenant include the 10 commandments? - Deuteronomy 4:12-13; 5:1-5, 22
3. Hebrews 8:13 - By using the word “new,” the implication is that the “old”has outlasted its usefulness.
IV. Why was it removed?
A. Hebrews 8:6-9
1. The new covenant is better than the old because it is based on better promises.
a. The old covenant was built on a promise of a future solution to sin.
b. The new covenant was built on the fact that a solution to sin had been given.
c. Which was the better promise?
2. The old had a fault, the fault is discussed in verse 9 – men where unable to keep it.
3. Hebrews 7:18-19 - The same ending of the old because of a weakness is discussed, but notice that the terms have changed from covenant to commandments and laws.

What Was Nailed to the Cross?

It is worth a vist to read the entire study to clarify the issue. A single verse in many cases cannot be understood without the context of the whole biblical narrative, especially on issues as complex as this.

His life was meant to obey the law and fullfill it. His death was meant to remove it in the life of the believer when he is born again, and relace it with new and more dynamic laws that are written in our hearts. (Because the bible clearly states that the old laws could not save anyone and fault was found in them.) However keep in mind I am speaking of levitical law not the deca law.

johnhanks

That's my point. It's used as an excuse, as justification, but it isn't the cause nor the true motivation. Most wars are over the same thing; resources, real estate or other strategic reasons to protect one's own group from destruction. Very secular, mortal reasons. Religion and superstition help people cope with the horrors of battle, of facing their own possible deaths, but they aren't the causes of war.
We're going round in circles here. I've already stated my opinion that religion doesn't motivate wars, it just acts as the convenient casus belli - the ostensible justification. Where we differ is that religious people persist in regarding this as an aberration or perversion of religion, whereas I'm proposing it's part of what religion is for. As I asked earlier, if religious support for the crusades (for example) was an aberration, whose religious observance at the time was not aberrant?

johnhanks

... In the context of my statements I am not considering the justification of the violence as far as provoked or not. I am lumping all of them on one side verses all the ones on the other.
I have no idea what you mean by this. You really should try to present your ideas more clearly.
I do not support your only 100 years idea. It would be hard to define religions in the monotheistic sense stop and paganism, atheism, materialist, secularism etc... start. I was speaking more of the monotheistic v/s atheist, materialist, and secularist. That could be tweeked but it probably won't make much difference.
If I understand you correctly, you seem to be saying that the "atheist regimes" you referred to include religious ones whose religions you don't approve of. That is a massive moving of goalposts.