• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are there more Muslims and atheists in Edmonton than Christians ?

Massimo2002

I find it disappointing because I'm not Muslim or atheist so therefore I get left out of a society that's predominantly secular and Arab.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I find it disappointing because I'm not Muslim or atheist so therefore I get left out of a society that's predominantly secular and Arab.

"As of the 2011 National Household Survey, 55.8% of Edmonton residents identified themselves as Christian with 25.9% of the total being Catholic. 31.1% have no religious affiliation, 12.5% belong to other Christian denominations, 5.5% are Muslim, 2.6% are Sikh, and 2.1% are Buddhist.[1][2]"

This is an attractive church there:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You really ought to check your facts before you state them and how disappointed you are in them.

That's from 2021, and 44.7% of Edmontonians were Christians, only 8.3% are Muslim. Yes, there are a lot of "no religion/secular" at 36.4%, but they're still not a majority.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'm not really sure where you got this idea from, but when I researched it, I found it to be untrue. I really, really detest it when people gaslight others, but since you yourself have shared your problems with depression, and depression is well known to alter people's memories and perceptions, I have to wonder if that is playing any role?

Here are the religious demographics for Edmonton as of 2024.
  • Christianity: Approximately 47% of the population identifies as Christian, including various denominations:
    • Catholic: About 23% of the population identifies as Catholic, making it the largest single Christian denomination in Edmonton.
    • Protestant: Around 24% identify with various Protestant denominations. This includes:
      • Mainline Protestants: Such as United Church, Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian.
      • Evangelical Protestants: Including Baptists, Pentecostals, non-denominational churches, and other evangelical groups.
    • Other Christian: This can include denominations that don't into the Catholic/Protestant divide such as Eastern Orthodox and Mennonite.
  • Islam: About 7% of Edmonton's population identifies as Muslim, reflecting a significant Muslim community.
  • Sikhism: Around 4% of the population identifies as Sikh, indicating a vibrant Sikh community in the city.
  • Hinduism: Approximately 2% of people in Edmonton identify as Hindu.
  • Buddhism: About 1% of the population identifies as Buddhist.
  • Judaism: Less than 1% identify as Jewish.
  • Atheists/Agnostics/No Religious Affiliation: Approximately 36% of Edmonton's population reports having no religious affiliation, which includes atheists, agnostics, those who are "spiritual but not religious," and those who simply don't care. LOL

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've long been in the minority in various communities
(being atheist & libertarian). I didn't mind it at all,
except when Christians sought to impose their
religion on me.

Muffled

Jesus in me
"As of the 2011 National Household Survey, 55.8% of Edmonton residents identified themselves as Christian with 25.9% of the total being Catholic. 31.1% have no religious affiliation, 12.5% belong to other Christian denominations, 5.5% are Muslim, 2.6% are Sikh, and 2.1% are Buddhist.[1][2]"

This is an attractive church there:

North Pointe Community Church - pentecostal