• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are there no united view on christianity?

Looncall

The reason religions are disunited is that there is no way to test religious propositions for accuracy. Remember, the metaphysicist has no laboratory.

Since the entire basis for religion is imaginary, why would one expect people to agree on any of it?

Morpheus

Human beings are spectacularly good and percieving things differently. When applied to religious ideology you have a recipe for disunity. Where I feel religion has fallen down is that religious 'experts' actually believe they understand precisely what the scriptures mean, and there is always another 'expert' with a different view. If these people would focus on what they can agree on fundamentally and leave it at that, we would all be better off. Most of what they dissagree on doesn't matter anyway.
Here is what they pretty much all agree on:
- one God
- our purpose is to know and worship God.
- treat others as we would like to be treated, whether they reciprocate or not.

Focus that and the world would be a better place with much more unity.
Arguing over things like the trinity take us further from God, so... STOP IT!!!

james2ko

So I got another question. Why are there so many branches of Christianity? Why are there no united view on the bible? And how do you go about finding out what is the right interpretation of the bible? you find christians on both side of the fence on topics like: Abortion, Homosexuality, Death Penalty, God. If you asked 10 christians about their definition of God, you would probably get 10 different answers. Why is there no united view on these topics?

It's that way by design. Contrary to popular belief, God does not desire to "save" all of mankind in this age.

Frank Merton

It's that way by design. Contrary to popular belief, God does not desire to "save" all of mankind in this age.
Wow! Really? How do you know what God desires? I hope for your sake He is more compassionate than you seem to be, considering how you slander Him.

What is "in this age" and why would it be different from other ages?

idea

Question Everything
So I got another question. Why are there so many branches of Christianity? Why are there no united view on the bible? And how do you go about finding out what is the right interpretation of the bible? you find Christians on both side of the fence on topics like: Abortion, Homosexuality, Death Penalty, God. If you asked 10 Christians about their definition of God, you would probably get 10 different answers. Why is there no united view on these topics?

The scriptures are wonderful - but the ultimate source of truth is not the scriptures - the ultimate source is direct revelation from God.

(New Testament | John 14:26)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things

it is possible to rely on the Holy Spirit, rather than relying on personal interpretations...

more info on the Holy Ghost:
Holy Ghost

A

angellous_evangellous

So I got another question. Why are there so many branches of Christianity? Why are there no united view on the bible? And how do you go about finding out what is the right interpretation of the bible? you find christians on both side of the fence on topics like: Abortion, Homosexuality, Death Penalty, God. If you asked 10 christians about their definition of God, you would probably get 10 different answers. Why is there no united view on these topics?

Most of it can be explained in this way: the Christian bible and theology are fragmented, contradictory, and written in a language that can be interpreted somewhat freely (that is, Greek is imprecise).

Also, the theological method of Christians differ: some place their priority on a literal interpretation of Scripture, existentialism, humanism, post-modernism, or even atheism.

james2ko

Wow! Really? How do you know what God desires? I hope for your sake He is more compassionate than you seem to be, considering how you slander Him.

What is "in this age" and why would it be different from other ages?

Are you ready, willing, and able to use scripture as the basis for this discussion?

Frank Merton

Are you ready, willing, and able to use scripture as the basis for this discussion?
That depends on what you mean by scripture; I'm a Buddhist. I am willing to give the Christian Bible a lot of respect, but I have seen how some people are able to cherry pick it to teach some really irrational and even evil things.

Any holy writing depends a lot on what you bring to it. If you bring an open, generous, compassionate spirit to it, you will find open, generous and compassionate things. On the other hand, if you bring a doctrinaire, cruel, closed spirit, then that is what you will find.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
All religions have a multiplicity of groups. I think the latest count of "official" Buddhist groups is about forty. However, where many Christians will say, "You are wrong and a heretic and evil," the Buddhist says, "You may be right, but I don't think so."

With the exception of a Buddhist or two here on RF who will just come out and say "YOU ARE WRONG!" just that boldly and plainly! :)