• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Care Whether God Exists Or Not?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is there any reason we should care whether God exists or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

.lava

Veteran Member
Is there any reason we should care whether God exists or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

yes, we should.
maybe we shouldnot care about a weird life form that lives 1000000000000000000000000 miles away from our planet. But God is not a creature. it is the one who created everything and us. we are dependent. we need it.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in God. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, he may judge you on your merits coupled with your commitments, and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

UnityNow101

You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in God. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, he may judge you on your merits coupled with your commitments, and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

Nicely put. I agree wholeheartedly. Just live your life in the best possible way because in the end all that matters is whether or not you treated people well and did your best to help your fellow man. I'm sure that God would care more about action rather than mere words.

Smoke

Done here.
If there is no god, who can religious conservatives blame for their stupidity, bigotry, and violence?

God is the original fall guy. Voltaire said if God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him. On the other hand, if people had the courage to admit that he doesn't exist, it would be necessary to take responsibility for our own actions.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
If there is no god, who can religious conservatives blame for their stupidity, bigotry, and violence?

God is the original fall guy. Voltaire said if God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him. On the other hand, if people had the courage to admit that he doesn't exist, it would be necessary to take responsibility for our own actions.

Funny thing is there are many who believe in God and still do, or at least believe that they should, take responsibility for their own actions. I believe in/follow God but I do not blame her for my weaknesses and faults. Many people do use God as a scapegoat but that doesn't mean that everyone who believes in God does so.

Nanda

Polyanna
I'm of the opinion that if there is a God, it doesn't care whether we care about it or not. So it doesn't matter.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm of the opinion that if there is a God, it doesn't care whether we care about it or not. So it doesn't matter.
This opinion is pretty much the one I've adopted after being a Christian for a long time.....this thought process seems so obvious to me now but is one I could not have imagined just five years ago. If God exists, "it" is letting us live out our lives under our own conscious and will. And, I definitely don't see how another life after this matters at all now. The only life that matters is the one we have at this minute in time.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper

You know, that's a bigoted statement. You're no less bigoted then Pat Robertson. Actually, you're worse because he bases his on the belief in God, as you don't believe in God, you have no basis. He's a religious bigot; you're just a bigot.

Whether God exists or not matters because, if He does, we best find out who He is and what He wants because He has absolute power over us.

If He doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

The fact is, there's no way to prove it one way or the other. The universe is evidence of His existence, but that's the extent. From thence, people subscribe to one religion or the other. Except for Deists, most people are satisfied that they've found God. Deists content themselves with searching for Him, believing He exists and therefore sure that they're cause is just.

But it's true; why would an Atheist care? Except for the irrational belief that God doesn't exist, they've nothing to care about at all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You know, that's a bigoted statement. You're no less bigoted then Pat Robertson. Actually, you're worse because he bases his on the belief in God, as you don't believe in God, you have no basis. He's a religious bigot; you're just a bigot.

So basically you're saying religion helps people to be better bigots?

~Amin~

God is the King
Yes because, He is
My refuge in misfortune;
My hope in disaster;
My friend in desolation;
My companion in loneliness;
My benefactor and beneficent FRIEND;
Dispeller of my cares;
My succourer in need;
My stronghold in plight;
My helper in time of fear;
MY GUIDE IN TIME OF CONFUSION;
He whose mention is SWEET;
He whose INTIMACY is a DELIGHT;
A statement attributed to prophet Muhammad, and i agree 100%.

Smoke

Done here.
Funny thing is there are many who believe in God and still do, or at least believe that they should, take responsibility for their own actions. I believe in/follow God but I do not blame her for my weaknesses and faults. Many people do use God as a scapegoat but that doesn't mean that everyone who believes in God does so.
I said religious conservatives for a reason. :D

Smoke

Done here.
If recognizing the bigotry of religious conservatives makes me a bigot, then recognizing my bigotry makes you a bigot.

However, I don't believe that recognizing bigotry makes one a bigot. I do agree with you that Pat Robertson bases his bigotry on his belief in God; that's one of the problems with believing in the Christian god.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Whether God exists or not matters because, if He does, we best find out who He is and what He wants because He has absolute power over us.

If He doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

The fact is, there's no way to prove it one way or the other. The universe is evidence of His existence, but that's the extent. From thence, people subscribe to one religion or the other. Except for Deists, most people are satisfied that they've found God. Deists content themselves with searching for Him, believing He exists and therefore sure that they're cause is just.

But it's true; why would an Atheist care? Except for the irrational belief that God doesn't exist, they've nothing to care about at all.

And with your closing statement you have made yourself a bigot. I assure you, having Atheist friends myself, that they care for a great deal more than simply "the belief that God doesn't exist". And whether or not such a belief is irrational is simply a matter of opinion and cannot be anymore than that until and unless it is fully proven that God exists.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't care about the existence of god. If any god exists, it's obvious that it doesn't care to reveal itself to us in any clear and meaningful way, so why should I care?

However, I do care about the great harm done by religious people in the name of their imaginary friends.

So basically you're saying religion helps people to be better bigots?

No. More reasonable.

If Christians say that, for example, "homosexuality is a sin", they're basing in on the sincere belief that God exists, and homosexuality is a sin.

An Atheist says that Christians are bigoted fascists, he's basing it on a personal opinion that has no foundation because, as in Atheist, everything is relative.

I don't care about the existence of god. If any god exists, it's obvious that it doesn't care to reveal itself to us in any clear and meaningful way, so why should I care?

That's assuming He hasn't revealed Himself.

Perhaps He has, and you're blind/

However, I do care about the great harm done by religious people in the name of their imaginary friends.

You're free to move to China any time you want. The Atheists there have built up a great, civilized freedom-loving society, I assure you.