• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Care Whether God Exists Or Not?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
No. More reasonable.

If Christians say that, for example, "homosexuality is a sin", they're basing in on the sincere belief that God exists, and homosexuality is a sin.

An Atheist says that Christians are bigoted fascists, he's basing it on a personal opinion that has no foundation because, as in Atheist, everything is relative.

That would be reasonable if it were true, but the truth is people fashion their religions around their bigorty more often then the other way around.

Personally, I think someone basing their assesment of a group on their experience with that group is much more reasonable than someone who goes out looking for a group that endorses opinions and prejudices he already has.

"If I'm by myself than my prejudices are just my prejudices. If I join that group over there then my prejudices become 'God's will'. Gee, that sounds better. I guess I'll go hangout with those people".

That's to say nothing of all the people who accept traditional interpretations of a certain religion and the prejudices that go along with it simply because it's part of the culture they were raised in and it would be uncomfortable for them to acknowledge the inherent hypocricy of the system as a whole.

My belief, to get back on topic, is that except at the most superficial level, belief in God is really a moot point to many religious people. It's actually the religion itself that they revere, the idea of "God" is just an ornament thereof.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
And you're free to move to Iran, where the theists have built theirs.

That's not the way it works. I have not hinted that my society is too liberal or secular. You have implied that your the victim of the evil religious right, and I responded that China would be a good place for you to move because the evil religious people can't oppress you there. And anway I'm a Christian; Iran is a Muslim theocracy.

I have no desire for a theocratic, christian dictatorship; and would fight one tooth and nail. Would you fight an atheist state where religious people are limited in their practice to going to their weekly religious functions?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Is there any reason we should care whether God exists or not? If so, why? If not, why not?
Greetings Sunstone. If you will permit me to substitute caring that 'God is' for caring that 'God exists' then I would bow to the wisdom of Storm. In addition, let me offer that such caring is important so that one can be to the fullest for self and all. Besides, at a minimum should not one care just because there are so many billions of people that do care. :)

[EDIT: Let me add that the last statement of caring because others care is intended in the spirit of empathy with our fellow humans and not in the spirit of do because they do.]

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Is there any reason we should care whether God exists or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

given that i personally see religion as a framework in which we can grow as people, the notion of Gods is entirely subjective. if you do not need a religious framework to grow as a person, then you have no reason to care if God exists.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
To know the truth.
I have great difficulty with this answer.
Nothing to do with you personally, Storm, but the fact remains that there are far to many theists who care nothing of truth if it disagrees with their beliefs.
Though i will add that said beliefs do not always have to be religious.

The fact is, there's no way to prove it one way or the other.
And many theists delight in this fact.
For whatever they wish to proclaim cannot be shown false, therefore it has to be right.

The universe is evidence of His existence, but that's the extent.
Yes, however it is also evidence of his non-existence.
At least His non-existence as presented by many of His followers.

From thence, people subscribe to one religion or the other. Except for Deists, most people are satisfied that they've found God. Deists content themselves with searching for Him, believing He exists and therefore sure that they're cause is just.
Though i agree that there are many deists who are content with the looking , there are many who are looking because they do not believe that the Gods, as painted by their followers, are accurate.

But it's true; why would an Atheist care? Except for the irrational belief that God doesn't exist, they've nothing to care about at all.
YouTube - Why do Atheists care about Religion?

That's assuming He hasn't revealed Himself.

Perhaps He has, and you're blind/
And perhaps he does not exist and you are fooling yourself.

You're free to move to China any time you want. The Atheists there have built up a great, civilized freedom-loving society, I assure you.
And I am sure you will be more than willing to assist in the funding of such move, right?

given that i personally see religion as a framework in which we can grow as people, the notion of Gods is entirely subjective. if you do not need a religious framework to grow as a person, then you have no reason to care if God exists.
Sounds like a polite:
Religion is a crutch for a weak mind.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I have great difficulty with this answer.
Nothing to do with you personally, Storm, but the fact remains that there are far to many theists who care nothing of truth if it disagrees with their beliefs.
Though i will add that said beliefs do not always have to be religious.
Sad but true. I can only answer for myself, however.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
And many theists delight in this fact.
For whatever they wish to proclaim cannot be shown false, therefore it has to be right.

This is not what I was referring to. There are many deeper evidences of God. The point I was trying to make was that the discussion of whether or not God exists is endless.

Yes, however it is also evidence of his non-existence.
At least His non-existence as presented by many of His followers.

If you're referring to Creation, then I'd have to disagree.

The fact is that the universe is amazingly complex because we, and all other life on earth make up part of it. And a complex design must have a designer -that's the rationalle, and there's noting irrational about it.

Though i agree that there are many deists who are content with the looking , there are many who are looking because they do not believe that the Gods, as painted by their followers, are accurate.

Or God, as the case may be.

And perhaps he does not exist and you are fooling yourself.

Perhaps.

And I am sure you will be more than willing to assist in the funding of such move, right?

Depends. Not if it's by first class.