• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Care Whether God Exists Or Not?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How can there be a reality without "God," once the concept is introduced?
Do you mean that the concept of God necessarily exists once it's introduced? Sure, in a "try not to think of a pink elephant" kind of way.

I hope you don't mean that a literal, physical (or otherwise "real") god (or pink elephant) actually exists because the idea of one has occurred to some people. Do you?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Do you mean that the concept of God necessarily exists once it's introduced? Sure, in a "try not to think of a pink elephant" kind of way.

I hope you don't mean that a literal, physical (or otherwise "real") god (or pink elephant) actually exists because the idea of one has occurred to some people. Do you?

There are those who believe that. I go neither way. I only say that God is a symbol/concept that has powerful influence on my reality. (Our reality? The shared one, certainly.)

I would say that that is enough of an existence. Many disagree, and need the physical evidence for a physical existence, but it's is all just semantics. ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would say that that is enough of an existence. Many disagree, and need the physical evidence for a physical existence, but it's is all just semantics. ;)
It depends what you need as to whether that is "enough".

Do you see God only as a mental focal point? As a way to channel your own desire and will to acheive your goals? In that case, God becomes like Dumbo's feather: a mental touchstone that, while useful, only matters in terms of the user's perception. In such a case, I'm not completely sure that "God as a concept" has any real claim to the title "God", any more than Dumbo's feather has any claim to the title "lift-generating device".

If you see God/gods/"spirit forces"/etc. as an independent agency for anything, then they must exist as more than just a concept.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How can there be a reality without "God," once the concept is introduced?
In every way a concept should exist.

That would defy the concept of "concept."

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just because you string a bunch of words together trying to sound wise, does not make you such. Blind faith is idiotic and G-d doesnt render Reason more than a delusion, G-d furthers reason. It is reasoning that gives us a glimpse of G-d's works and how he does the wondrous things he does.
Actually Nimrauko, Jay IS wise. He isn't faking it like so many others here on RF.

Indeed it is Jay, but no doubt some may see it as wisdom -- after a fashion.

I always get a chuckle when people point at obvious truth as being rude. What's with that, eh? Pity that some prefer webs of lies, masking as niceties, rather than taking the truth on the chin like any reasonable person should.

I hope I never fully understand why that is. :shrug:

Ymir, what we percieve to be the truth can be so strong we'll do anything to protect it, insecurities do that, not logic and sense of place. Ideas, or illusions can stick to you. You just can't get rid of em, until you hear better lies.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
:eek: OMG Willy, have you just rendered the Almighty down to a simple human concept.
Nonsense; just the image of "the Almighty." What is a concept? Is a concept of an "airplane" the actual air craft, or is it an idea concatenated with an image? (Hint: the answer is the latter.)

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
I always get a chuckle when people point at obvious truth as being rude. What's with that, eh? Pity that some prefer webs of lies, masking as niceties, rather than taking the truth on the chin like any reasonable person should.

Well, you can also say the truth with some nicer words..

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Of course you don't.
Then you would not have the handy excuse of "It is the truth" as your reason to be rude.
Interesting How you would jump on such a flimsy excuse and then further attempt to justify it by claiming willful ignorance.

gnomon

Okay atheists, it's this easy.

You say, I'm an atheist. Any conjectured existence of God is irrelevant to my life.

The end.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ymir, what we percieve to be the truth can be so strong we'll do anything to protect it, insecurities do that, not logic and sense of place. Ideas, or illusions can stick to you. You just can't get rid of em, until you hear better lies.
Oh, I do realize that Lover of All things Penguin. I suppose I think I am like the nasty Colonel (played by Jack Nicholson) in A Few Good Men, when Tom Cruise demanded the Colonel to tell the truth. Nicholson's fiery reply was an outraged, "Son, you can't handle the truth!" I feel it is similar when dealing with people of a religious nature who need their innocent bedtime story god's to make them feel warm and cozy at night. Somehow people are heartened when others feel as they do. As I pointed out yesterday delusion, like misery, loves company and that is how religions form, imho.

PS: Thanks for your youthful, but very thoughful reply.

Nonsense; just the image of "the Almighty." What is a concept? Is a concept of an "airplane" the actual air craft, or is it an idea concatenated with an image? (Hint: the answer is the latter.)

Hehe. Yeah I realize that Willamena. I was just messin' with ya. <evil grin> I agree with your viewpoint and if I am getting it right, it is similar to the concept that anything that attempts to describe the Tao is not the Tao, as it is.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Nice.
Now all you needs do is explain how and/or why it is rubbish.

Perhaps YmirGF can help you.
Since he seems to think it is rather obvious. Post#66
It ought to be obvious to anyone with the intelligence of a squished gnat... but perhaps that is expecting too much.

Let's take it a step at a time, shall we?

Nimrauko stated: "Just because you string a bunch of words together trying to sound wise, does not make you such."

This statement is simple emotional rhetoric. I have yet see Jay state that he was wise in any way. Likewise, Jay does not need to take the time to sound wise and stress himself over what juicy large words he can use to skewer the object of his fascination. "Wise" is an appelation that many people around here honor the man with. Does it make it easier to understand coming from someone who has been the target of his somewhat caustic wit?

Nimrauko stated: "Blind faith is idiotic and G-d doesnt render Reason more than a delusion, G-d furthers reason."

Now this seemingly reasonable statement notes that so-called "blind faith" is idiotic which in itself is highly insulting to people who worship via "blind faith". How rude is that,eh? Nimrauko then emptily speculates that "god" does not render reason more than delusion, but somehow "furthers reason". Just by the wording it asserts that belief in "god" may well be a source of delusion, but if you are wired correctly (i.s. seeing "god" his way) then the delusion allegedly morphs into reason. It is a bit much to expect from the belief in what is essentially ones invisible friend. I do wonder how that all works. I guess I have to have my Psychic Hotline to "god" checked as I fail to understand what god has to do with either reason or delusion as those are the province of the individual -- not some imagined "god". If you have the intellect of a wilted cabbage prior to believing in god, it is unlikely that you are going to gain much from such a psychological vacation after the fact.

Nimrauko stated: It is reasoning that gives us a glimpse of G-d's works and how he does the wondrous things he does.

I see. That is a rather bold assertion. I suppose it is picked up via osmosis or summin'. My advice would be to avoid inhaling unless one just likes to see pretty colours. Frankly, to me, such nonesense merely outlines how people readily hobble their sense of reason in order to shoehorn their expectations into their perception of reality. Heck, I believe in god with every fibre of my being and yet I wouldn't insist that that aspect of reality overly influences my day to day being. Why should it?