• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY, Congress? WHY!!!

SoyLeche

meh...
House ignores Bush, rejects $700B bailout bill - Yahoo! News

The Dow is in freefall!!! It's simultaneously horrifying/justifying to see that partisan politics is becoming the bane of our country's stability. Maybe, just maybe, we can have a new era of reaching across the aisle and doing what's right for the country instead of our own personal desires.
Ummm - this vote was reletively non-partisan. 2/5 of the democrats voted against it, and 2/3 of the republicans.

Last edited:

SoyLeche

meh...
At the moment, I am very concerned about the company I work for (I think our fundamentals are good, but our stock price is hurting bad), and I think there is a good possibility that I may be out of a job in the next couple months - but I am glad that this power-grab didn't pass (for now, at least).

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Perhaps Lord Bush can spend some of that precious "political capital" on convincing the legislature to see the value in voting for the plan.

Oh wait - he blew all of that (and then some) shredding the Constitution, invading Iraq on trumped up reasons, gutting the DOJ of non-partisan workers, and politicizing the entire process of governing.

Not to worry, though. At least he can still cling to the thought that his legacy will be embraced by history much better than his actions are during the last eight years.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We'll collapse into a depression, which causes an economic chain reaction throughout the globe, the infrastructure will soon collapse as fuel and energy becomes extremely expensive and scarce, and society will plummet into chaos and lawlessness. It will be just like the wild west all over again. :D

Troublemane

I'd say it does. Tho until the antichrist is elected (aka, Barack Obama) we wont have to put chips in our hands or accept a one-world currency, which, when China refuses to go along and the new currency crashes, we find ourselves in war with China, THEN the end of the world happens. But thats a few years off.

Maybe we'll survive til 2036 when the asteroid hits us, now THAT will be really fun! :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I see "Waterworld" as not just bad fiction, but the ultimate prophecy of an energy dependent country.

Well, OK, it IS bad fiction, but the underlying story about depraved people wanting to corner the energy market ain't far from reality.

Troublemane

That's interesting of you to say considering the fact that the price of oil dropped by more than $11 today despite the rejection of the bailout.

...i think maybe a recession/slowing economy might just slow down commerce, manufacturing, transportation (the major shipping companies just dropped their prices from 2,000 per unit shipped to 700 dollars, which is less than their fuel cost), ... sales are declining all over, and so is manufacturing. SO! maybe its the declining use of fuel in the commercial sector which has brought down the price of fuel.
Just a theory! :D