• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did GOD have to (Allow to) make religions?

Sudy Rao

IAmFromEarth
If GOD wanted everyone to be of a single Religion following single book or tradition, why did not he/she do it himself/herself couldn't he/she do it himself/herself? Why would he/she need the help of humans to do it?

I believe in GOD and so I believe in creation and so we are all a part of it but did he/she not create me the way he/she wanted? Isn't this a burning question looking at all the violence/hatred that's happening around the world today?

I heard and believed that the religions were made for a human's spiritual and peaceful life! But are those religions made for following and selfishness by any chance?

Why would GOD want someone to kill someone (both created by GOD)? Are we not getting the point? Or are we forgetting what GOD (creation) is and believing in everyone who all would like to take advantage of people's fear and sentiments MORE than believing in GOD?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Why would GOD want someone to kill someone (both created by GOD)? Are we not getting the point? Or are we forgetting what GOD (creation) is and believing in everyone who all would like to take advantage of people's fear and sentiments MORE than believing in GOD?

Maybe, because that is exactly what God wants? Who knows?

Ciao

- viole

Sudy Rao

IAmFromEarth
Maybe, because that is exactly what God wants? Who knows?

Ciao

- viole

If that's what he/she wants! What's about the rest of the creation, why did he/she create all of us and then likes to destroy? (Think he/she is in that mood?)
If at all he/she now wants it, can't he/she control/stop/enlighten humans by himself/herself?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
if you could force a person to love you, would you do it? Tempting perhaps, but you would soon realize that this is not love, in fact you would only destroy any possibility of true love would you not?
Perhaps God thought this through when he created humanity. Can love, goodness really exist if hate and evil are not possible choices also?

In short, free will

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If that's what he/she wants! What's about the rest of the creation, why did he/she create all of us and then likes to destroy? (Think he/she is in that mood?)
If at all he/she now wants it, can't he/she control/stop/enlighten humans by himself/herself?

What I am saying is that it is entirely possible that She likes the idea of us killing each other.

I mean, why not?

Ciao

- viole

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If GOD wanted everyone to be of a single Religion following single book or tradition, why did not he/she do it himself/herself couldn't he/she do it himself/herself? Why would he/she need the help of humans to do it?

The one part of Star Trek V that anyone remembers. "What does God need with a starship?" One wonders if Shatner asks that of himself every morning....

I believe in GOD and so I believe in creation and so we are all a part of it but did he/she not create me the way he/she wanted? Isn't this a burning question looking at all the violence/hatred that's happening around the world today?

I heard and believed that the religions were made for a human's spiritual and peaceful life! But are those religions made for following and selfishness by any chance?

All questions that have been asked over and over again, in several various forms. The fact that I've never seen an answer that really satisfies me is largely what keeps me from any kind of creationist monotheism. (Note, by creationist, I don't necessarily mean young-earth creationism, or any other form of creationism that inherently opposes natural selection. I mean belief in a singular Creator God.) It's also a large reason why I've pretty much discarded concepts of binary good and evil, or the idea that peace is inherently always good and conflict is inherently always bad. Peace can be stagnation, and stagnate water is poisonous to drink (and paradoxically also full of life... it's just that this life kills us if we ingest it). Conflict can allow for growth and self-improvement; it doesn't necessarily have to involve violence.

Some Gods prefer peace. Other Gods revel in war.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
if you could force a person to love you, would you do it? Tempting perhaps, but you would soon realize that this is not love, in fact you would only destroy any possibility of true love would you not?
Perhaps God thought this through when he created humanity. Can love, goodness really exist if hate and evil are not possible choices also?

In short, free will

Which you will surely have in heaven as well. Wont you?

Ciao

- viole

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Because the glory is in people lifting themselves up to God (with the help of inspired teachers aiding us). And since those teachers come to cultures coming from different places it may appear that there are various religions; dig deep enough and they are One. Petty people like to squabble about the surface reality; it's just were they're at in their spiritual growth.[/QUOTE]

suncowiam

Who knows what God thinks. Anyone that claims to know what God thinks is fooling themselves and, actually, is mocking God if God exists.

Some could be taking advantage of human tendancies in explaining the unknown and claim the mind of God as influence over others. Who can argue against the most powerful being ever? If this most powerful being wanted you to send a prayer every Sunday morning, not to mention a little tribute in cash, who can argue against the most powerful being ever???

morphesium

I appreciate your way of thinking and I agree with you. If people were free to think like this, violence due to religion would have subsided beyond trace.

God doesn’t need the help of a holy book to talk to us. If we are God’s glorious creations, then we were born with his message- the sense morality or the inherent feeling to be/do good is our god sent message. This is something no holy books can claim – we came to know/learn about it quite sometime after we were born; for they all come from the outside. For this reason, one is/could be far more closer to God without religion than with religion.

Religion is a multi - billion dollar business with huge political power. It if often left unchecked and it easily gets dirty - very dirty. It is the reason why some religions end up funding terrorism and violence.
God doesn't want someone to kill someone; it is the religion that kills.

morphesium

God never made any religions. Let me talk a bit about the creation of a typical religion.

Most religion is often credited to an exceptional Person. They take people or society from dark ages and enlighten them. Unfortunately just like ordinary people these great ones also die. So laws that were made are kept as such. Not (never) to be changed at all. Often a “God part or holiness” is amended to it over time for a much greater voice. Then existing scientific proofs are added to give it more credibility. Money, power and politics take their share on it. Rituals and practices make it imprinted on those who practice it. This is how a typical religion is formed.

The problem with religion is that it resists change – not only because it is habitualzed, but also out of fear; fear of the religious heads/society and fear of the God itself. This is where the problem is. The society around them progresses. But what about the religious sect – it is tied back to their old ages. Even if their morale is asking for a change, they won’t change out of fear of the unknown; out of the feeling that their holy books can never go wrong – after all it is god sent. How can it be wrong and they reasons accordingly and opt not to change.

(For this I am taking the example of the case with halal meat. Modern science has methods to kill an animal using the most humane method of killing the brain -making the animal unconscious with a shock and then butchering it. What about the animal that has to undergo halal butchering – it has to suffer much more pain. Back in those old days, it was the best possible method; drain as much blood as possible which ensures that the animal has been killed before it is butchered. But how can one accept it as the best method available now. Even though we have better methods, these religious people still prefer the halal method and are tied back to those historic times because of their religion) Similar is the case with slavery, child marriages. These are all things people still do in some part of the world because of their religion. The curse of religion is so high that it won’t let people to progress morally.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I appreciate your way of thinking and I agree with you. If people were free to think like this, violence due to religion would have subsided beyond trace.

God doesn’t need the help of a holy book to talk to us. If we are God’s glorious creations, then we were born with his message- the sense morality or the inherent feeling to be/do good is our god sent message. This is something no holy books can claim – we came to know/learn about it quite sometime after we were born; for they all come from the outside. For this reason, one is/could be far more closer to God without religion than with religion.

Religion is a multi - billion dollar business with huge political power. It if often left unchecked and it easily gets dirty - very dirty. It is the reason why some religions end up funding terrorism and violence.

It's also not the religion that kills, it's some of the people in the religion that kill. And religion can be a business, but true religion is not a business. :)

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

Strange isn't it, that people who kill in the name of God cannot for a moment understand why God cannot do his own dirty work. If God wanted people to die, he could just snuff them out in a heartbeat. They never ask why he hasn't already.

God doesn’t need the help of a holy book to talk to us.

I disagree with this point. The written word is a better form of communication than oral transmission alone.....(Chinese whispers and all that.) It is also helpful to see the written form centuries after it was recorded to observe how the people of the day responded to it and how we read it now in the 21st century. The problem inherent in a holy book is deciding which holy book is actually "holy"?

Look at the activities of its followers....and I don't mean the ones who give lip service to something but clearly do not practice any of it. I include Christendom in that description. We should see a hated "few" who are doing what Christ commanded....non-violently preaching a message of peace in all the world right to the end of the present age. (Matt 24:14; John 15:18-21)

If we are God’s glorious creations, then we were born with his message- the sense morality or the inherent feeling to be/do good is our god sent message. This is something no holy books can claim – we came to know/learn about it quite sometime after we were born; for they all come from the outside. For this reason, one is/could be far more closer to God without religion than with religion.

And this would be true if we did not have a powerful adversary blurring the line between God's justice and man's.
Our inbuilt moral compass is more finely tuned with knowledge, but add the influence of another "magnetic" force and it renders the compass useless as a guide. We are all at the mercy of the "magnetic" influences from outside of ourselves. Unless we can identify and remove that force in our lives, we will remain the victims.

Ah yes......the power trip! Left unchecked as it was for almost 2,000 years......what do we see? Men in powerful positions that God never gave them, dressed in distinctive clothes and weird hats claiming to be something they are not....adopting all manner of false religious concepts....and calling it Christianity. o_O Seriously.

It is men using God and religion as an excuse for violence that is the problem.
If God wants someone dead....he will do it. Who doubts that God is more than up to that task?

If God authorizes men in positions of authority to implement a penalty for breaking his law, (which he does) then the penalty is sanctioned by him. But I have never seen him sanction the death of innocents as a result of a political skirmish (with a purely political motive) or a holy war with ancient religious precepts as an excuse to behead people or to water board them, or to use torture in any form. This contravenes any normal human conscience.

We live in the 21st century and our "religion" has to move with the times whilst not contravening the original precepts of it. We can't be stuck in an ancient culture dictating actions that are now considered barbaric. War is barbaric in this day and age. There is no excuse for it and as we were instructed by Jesus to be "no part of this world", we cannot support its political agenda in any way. Jesus practised strict political neutrality when he walked the earth.....true Christians imitate him. :)

morphesium

It's also not the religion that kills, it's some of the people in the religion that kill. And religion can be a business, but true religion is not a business. :)
I agree with you. :). Followers of a particular religion are quite violent and I believe it is their religious preaching that make them more aggressive. Anyway,it is hard to say which one is a true religion (For me it is none). Religion which one considers true may not be acceptable to other. There are much more psychological reason why one adheres to ones religion. now, if you are peaceful and happy with your religion and make other life peaceful, it is definitely a true religion for you.:)

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe the true God created our first parents to enjoy a close familial relationship with God. The Bible calls Adam a son of God. False religion was introduced into the human family by Satan, who lied to Eve, in effect seducing her and Adam to follow Satan. Ever after, Satan has been misleading people by means of false religion. The effect is as 1 Corinthians 10:20 states: "what the nations sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons."
God has promised to destroy all false religions and eventually their instigator Satan.