• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did you become christian?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Question to christians on this forum: Why did you become christian?

DNB

Christian
Because it corresponded exactly with how I perceived God, myself, and the world, and I have never heard a better explanation of life and humanity from either the atheists, or any other theistic group since then.

Bible tells a Christians is a disciple of Jesus. And a disciple of Jesus is a person who remains in word of Jesus. I want to do that, because I think his words are good and true.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32
…The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Acts 11:26

Tamino

I was 9 years old, Jesus sounded like a great guy and I wanted to belong... My parents left it up to me, so I got baptized.

(It didn't take. I grew up and started studying it in earnest, and left)

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
John 20:29
"Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came.So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
John 20:29
"Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came.So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Very good scriptural application. Although I was around those called Christians for many years (and even sang in church very beautiful music on a professional basis), I did not believe in God or Christ until I prayed finally and those that I consider as followers of Christ met me and studied the Bible with me for several years until I decided to get baptized. I am thankful.

Blessed be the Creator of the Universe, our lord, God, and master Jesus Christ, Amen.
First and foremost, I don't see Christianity as a religion but a relation with God through Christ Jesus.​
Secondly, spiritually, the claims of the Bible in terms of God's nature his operations makes sense​
Lastly, the historical claims of the Bible about Jesus Christ is reliable and true​
in-a-nutshell, this truths influences my choice to be a Christian and if everyone does that, they would too.​

As I study the Bible and the words and see the truth about history and the future of things to come, I know that God is real and has a place for those who truly follow his words and have true Faith in believing in God. Anyone can say they are a Chrisitan, but only the True Christian that has true Faith in God will be of God and not of this world of hate.

JACC2312

My Mom and Dad are catholics :p I am Catholic by birth, but then I studied Apologetics and compared to other religions and variations of christianity and learned to respect them but got absolutely convinced that Catholicism is the True Religion.

Last edited:

Sir Joseph

Though raised by atheists, I was sent to a nearby church that just happened to be Biblically doctrinal. As a young child, I respected the Sunday school teacher and believed everything he said and taught. I thus became a Christian through blind faith and influence.

In my 30's I became seriously involved with a Catholic girl and started studying Catholicism versus Protestantism for the first time. That experience not only led me to reject Catholicism, but started me on a life-long study of Christian apologetics. I no longer have a blind faith, but an intellectually grounded faith based upon a preponderance of the evidence.

YoursTrue

My Mom and Dad are catholics :p I am Catholic by birth, but then I studied Apologetics and compared to other religions and variations of christianity and learned to respect them but got absolutely convinced that Catholicism is the True Religion.
I have spoken to a Catholic lady recently who goes to mass every week. We discussed the Lord's Prayer in reference to God's kingdom. Jesus taught his disciples to pray that the kingdom of God would come and that God's will be done on the earth. Do you remember that? "Let thy kingdom come, let your will be done on the earth as it is in heaven..." She just couldn't understand why there was so much badness going on. How do you feel about that?

JACC2312

I have spoken to a Catholic lady recently who goes to mass every week. We discussed the Lord's Prayer in reference to God's kingdom. Jesus taught his disciples to pray that the kingdom of God would come and that God's will be done on the earth. Do you remember that? "Let thy kingdom come, let your will be done on the earth as it is in heaven..." She just couldn't understand why there was so much badness going on. How do you feel about that?
The answer is in a deep reflexion on John 17. There is a difference between the world and the ones that the Holy Spirit have called to the Flock of the Lord, we want God's will to be done, that is the way we subject ourselves to His Realm but not all in the world want to be subjected to God's will, it is not that God doesn't accept our Prayer but that God respects every one's desition, We can pray for those who oppose us for being willingly subjected to God. But Our prayer to God is not witchcraft to force them to do as we command.

[John 17] {17:1} Jesus said these things, and then, lifting up his eyes toward heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has arrived: glorify your Son, so that your Son may glorify you,
{17:2} just as you have given authority over all flesh to him, so that he may give eternal life to all those whom you have given to him. {17:3} And this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
{17:4} I have glorified you on earth. I have completed the work that you gave me to accomplish.
{17:5} And now Father, glorify me within yourself, with the glory that I had with you before the world ever was.
{17:6} I have manifested your name to the men whom you have given to me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me. And they have kept your word.
{17:7} Now they realize that all the things that you have given me are from you.
{17:8} For I have given them the words that you gave to me. And they have accepted these words, and they have truly understood that I went forth from you, and they have believed that you sent me.
{17:9} I pray for them. I do not pray for the world, but for those whom you have given to me. For they are yours.
{17:10} And all that is mine is yours, and all that is yours is mine, and I am glorified in this.
{17:11} And though I am not in the world, these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Father most holy, preserve them in your name, those whom you have given to me, so that they may be one, even as we are one.
{17:12} While I was with them, I preserved them in your name. I have guarded those whom you have given to me, and not one of them is lost, except the son of perdition, so that the Scripture may be fulfilled.
{17:13} And now I am coming to you. But I am speaking these things in the world, so that they may have the fullness of my joy within themselves.
{17:14} I have given them your word, and the world has hated them. For they are not of the world, just as I, too, am not of the world.
{17:15} I am not praying that you would take them out of the world, but that you would preserve them from evil.
{17:16} They are not of the world, just as I also am not of the world.
{17:17} Sanctify them in truth. Your word is truth.
{17:18} Just as you have sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
{17:19} And it is for them that I sanctify myself, so that they, too, may be sanctified in truth.
{17:20} But I am not praying for them only, but also for those who through their word shall believe in me.
{17:21} So may they all be one. Just as you, Father, are in me, and I am in you, so also may they be one in us: so that the world may
believe that you have sent me.

{17:22} And the glory that you have given to me, I have given to them, so that they may be one, just as we also are one.
{17:23} I am in them, and you are in me. So may they be perfected as one. And may the world know that you have sent me and that you have loved them, just as you have also loved me.
{17:24} Father, I will that where I am, those whom you have given to me may also be with me, so that they may see my glory which you have given to me. For you loved me before the founding of the world.
{17:25} Father most just, the world has not known you. But I have known you. And these have known that you sent me.
{17:26} And I have made known your name to them, and I will make it known, so that the love in which you have loved me may be in them, and so that I may be in them.”

The Catholic Religion is truly the wrong religion. They want you to come to them and tell them your problems of life so they can pray for you. When God wants us individually go into a private room and pray to him directly with full faith and believing in God. If you have the knowledge of the Bible then you have the full knowledge of God.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The Catholic Religion is truly the wrong religion. They want you to come to them and tell them your problems of life so they can pray for you.
I'm not Catholic (I have a lot of problems with Christian theology). But I'm curious why you think it is a bad thing to listen to the problems of others and pray for them. I'm also not sure why you think it is only Catholic Christians who do this.
When God wants us individually go into a private room and pray to him directly with full faith and believing in God.
Does that mean you do not pray with others at church or in your family?

JACC2312

The Catholic Religion is truly the wrong religion. They want you to come to them and tell them your problems of life so they can pray for you. When God wants us individually go into a private room and pray to him directly with full faith and believing in God. If you have the knowledge of the Bible then you have the full knowledge of God.
You are Cherry Picking from the Bible, Please Go to

John 20:21 - 23

{20:21} Therefore, he said to them again: “Peace to you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
{20:22} When he had said this, he breathed on them. And he said to them: “Receive the Holy Spirit.
{20:23} Those whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them, and those whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.”

YoursTrue

You are Cherry Picking from the Bible, Please Go to

John 20:21 - 23

{20:21} Therefore, he said to them again: “Peace to you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
{20:22} When he had said this, he breathed on them. And he said to them: “Receive the Holy Spirit.
{20:23} Those whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them, and those whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.”
So clearly, from the Bible, this shows that the holy spirit is not a person. IMO.