• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Didn't the Universe Always Exist?

Pogo

Look at our star system. Take a point above the Earth and draw a line through the north pole along the spin axis so it comes out the south pole to below the globe. Now this line can be extended in both directions north and south respectively. Fwiw, in the north direction, the North Star would sit almost directly on this line, but it won't always stay north.
This is at best true from the perspective of our arbitrary definition of direction on earth which is convenient in a historical sense. There is no actual direction on a sphere beyond what is defined for convenience. To extrapolate from this to some universal direction is a total misunderstanding of the mathematics of a sphere. We could for example base our directions on the current magnetic poles which are close to what we call North and South but have moved significantly in my lifetime and even reversed in the past. Analogies are useful for leading one to concepts some times, but they are not reality just as common sense is often mistaken.

Pogo

Ahem, there was no Earth BB beginning.
Which means what? Are you understanding that in the limits of our understanding of our current universe beginning is largely an unanswerable question at the limit of our math. or do you claim to have more knowledge? If so communicate it in a way that we can evaluate it for ourselves without just accepting your subjective understanding.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
This is at best true from the perspective of our arbitrary definition of direction on earth which is convenient in a historical sense. There is no actual direction on a sphere beyond what is defined for convenience. To extrapolate from this to some universal direction is a total misunderstanding of the mathematics of a sphere. We could for example base our directions on the current magnetic poles which are close to what we call North and South but have moved significantly in my lifetime and even reversed in the past. Analogies are useful for leading one to concepts some times, but they are not reality just as common sense is often mistaken.
Etc and etc. and the beat goes on...

Pogo

So what does this god you don't believe in look like, describe it? Perhaps I would not believe it exists too?
When asked if I can define a god, I generally imagine it as the snarky kid in the back of the god HS who likes playing with the idea of creating universes like ours just to see what these silly creations will believe.
It fulfills all of the criteria of a god but beyond that, I see no reason to believe it exists.
Can you actually do better?

oh, it probably has a mullet.

YoursTrue

Which means what? Are you understanding that in the limits of our understanding of our current universe beginning is largely an unanswerable question at the limit of our math. or do you claim to have more knowledge? If so communicate it in a way that we can evaluate it for ourselves without just accepting your subjective understanding.
So you know? Who could even understand your philosophical language much less figure what the universe physically came from and how it happened scientifically, of course.

YoursTrue

We are waiting for yours for how long now? Yes we know you think there is some other answer, but you never present it. LOL why am I even responding to you?
Answering your question there...Because you want to. :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That is not a proper question. First it assumes agency by using the word "created". Second why assume that it had to have a start? One possibility is that that the universe simply is. And it is eternal with a beginning. That idea is not self contradictory. Your question cannot be properly answered as asked. It is an example of an improperly asked question.
So I will rephrase it. What or who caused the BB and why?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So your point is? The concept of direction does not imply a specific place in the direction unless specified, it is just that, a direction, and yes, names of the direction can be arbitrary.

Pogo

So your point is? The concept of direction does not imply a specific place in the direction unless specified, it is just that, a direction, and yes, names of the direction can be arbitrary.
Yeah basically, your assumptions of the significance of a direction of south beyond the arbitrarily defined point on a sphere is meaningless.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The question is, what or who caused the BB, if there even was one, and why?

Yes, so far as I understand it, the universe is eternal, it was never created, but everything in it is a creation, such as galaxies, stars, planets, people, atoms, electron, etc.. All these creations have beginnings and endings, eternally.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yeah basically, your assumptions of the significance of a direction of south beyond the arbitrarily defined point on a sphere is meaningless.
Because you are a devotee of the BB belief system, which has existence existing due to nothing that is known.