• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people believe that the earth is millions or billions of years old ?

Massimo2002

I know scientists say this but I doubt it anyway and I think that the earth is at most hundreds of thousands of years old millions and billions are just way to much.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I know scientists say this but I doubt it anyway and I think that the earth is at most hundreds of thousands of years old millions and billions are just way to much.

Well, the dinosaurs go back millions of years, and most people believe that the dinosaurs existed. I have no reason to dismiss or disbelieve that the Earth is billions of years old. Even if it turned out to be only hundreds of thousands of years old, I can't imagine that I'd be too broken up about it.

I don't think most people even care how long the Earth has existed.

Massimo2002

Well, the dinosaurs go back millions of years, and most people believe that the dinosaurs existed. I have no reason to dismiss or disbelieve that the Earth is billions of years old. Even if it turned out to be only hundreds of thousands of years old, I can't imagine that I'd be too broken up about it.

I don't think most people even care how long the Earth has existed.
I've heard some people say that dinosaurs aren't real.

Tamino

I know scientists say this
That's why I believe it.
I may not be able to do Astrophysics and Radiometric Dating and all that, but I know how the scientific method works and I can look up some sources
but I doubt it anyway and I think that the earth is at most hundreds of thousands of years old millions and billions are just way to much.
Well, I prefer to trust a bunch of experts who publish their methods and data, and who check on each others findings - rather than my own vague feelings for large numbers.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What is your level of expertise in science that is better than experts in science?

If you have no expertise, why should anyone care about your non-expert belief?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard some people say that dinosaurs aren't real.

Yes. I guess people will believe whatever they want to believe. I don't mind. It's no skin off me, what other people believe.

All I really know is, regardless of how old the Earth might be, I'm a lot younger, and I'm reasonably certain that the Earth will outlive me. But then again, there are no sure things in life, except death and taxes.

Massimo2002

Yes. I guess people will believe whatever they want to believe. I don't mind. It's no skin off me, what other people believe.

All I really know is, regardless of how old the Earth might be, I'm a lot younger, and I'm reasonably certain that the Earth will outlive me. But then again, there are no sure things in life, except death and taxes.
Amen.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Why do most people believe that the earth is millions or billions of years old ?
Solid evidence. For goodness’s sake, we can see galaxies that are billions of light-years away. The light couldn't have reached us, unless the universe was billions of years old. As for Earth, we have geology, palaeontology, and physics (radiometric dating, among other things.

"way to [sic] much" for what?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Millions and billions is just such huge numbers that I can't wrap my head around way too much.
Might be worth adding that the number of possible orders of a deck of cards is 52! = 80 658 175 170 943 878 571 660 636 856 403 766 975 289 505 440 883 277 824 000 000 000 000, that's about 8.07×10⁶⁷. By contrast, the age of the universe is about 14 billion years or just a tiny 1.4×10¹⁰ years.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
So the experts who have spent their lives studying this are all wrong and you yourself who has no expertise in this field are right?

I'm sorry but any reasonable person would trust them way over you, any day of the week

Your personal incredulity is worthless