• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people believe that the earth is millions or billions of years old ?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I know scientists say this but I doubt it anyway and I think that the earth is at most hundreds of thousands of years old millions and billions are just way to much.
I don't believe that the Earth is old. I've looked at the evidence and it's pretty solid. I know (without reasonable doubt) that the Earth is old. You can, too, if you educate yourself. Look at the cliffs of Dover:

250px-White_Cliffs_of_Dover_02.JPG

and how they formed: White Cliffs of Dover - Wikipedia

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I know scientists say this but I doubt it anyway and I think that the earth is at most hundreds of thousands of years old millions and billions are just way to much.

Well, we know with a high degree of certainty that our sun is well over 4 billion years old and that the earth formed around the same time. Did you know that? If so, WTF are you talking about?

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
People believe this because it's what the evidence indicates.

The main evidence is radiometric dating.

Additional reasons include that geological formations that we see today happen so slowly. For example, the tectonic plates only move very gradually, so for example, it is impossible that the Rockies were formed a mere 6000 years ago.

There are other lines of evidence as well, but those are the two main ones.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Millions and billions is just such huge numbers that I can't wrap my head around way too much.
I have a casual interest in paleontology (the study of ancient life). I am often reading or consuming media about animals that have been extinct for millions of years. We know of animals such as Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia which existed hundreds of millions of years ago during the Cambrian.

No one really conceptualizes such timespans. But we can understand such numbers intellectually. We know the planet is billions of years old because that is what the evidence shows. Rejecting what we know to be true about our world because you cannot conceptualize a ten-digit number is willful irrationality.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Because science proves it. A better question to ask is, why do most people believe the Earth started billions of years ago.