• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people have a survival instinct instead of committing suicide ?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My youngest brother is seriously mentally ill, but he doesn't want to commit suicide, he wants to live. I agree with him. I want him to live and I want to live too.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Most people seem to me to want to survive and live to see tomorrow no matter how ****ty there existence is or what problems they have but why don't more or most people instead commit suicide what stops most people from going there ?

I got myself into a horrible, terrifying situation, the only way out seemed to be suicide. I was ready, the only thing stopping me was my twins and the fetus growing in my womb. But the situation got worse and worse and i decided that on next Sunday night i would drive my car into a motorway bridge support at very high speed to end the constant terror and pain.

On the Saturday before my appointment with death some friends showed up and sorted the situation. I will always grateful for their intervention. I hope to live at least until my children fledge the nest. Every day is precious to me and i savour it.

So in my case the reason i didn't go through with it was love and friendship, for other people there are other reasons listed above

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I got myself into a horrible, terrifying situation, the only way out seemed to be suicide. I was ready, the only thing stopping me was my twins and the fetus growing in my womb. But the situation got worse and worse and i decided that on next Sunday night i would drive my car into a motorway bridge support at very high speed to end the constant terror and pain.

On the Saturday before my appointment with death some friends showed up and sorted the situation. I will always grateful for their intervention. I hope to live at least until my children fledge the nest. Every day is precious to me and i savour it.

So in my case the reason i didn't go through with it was love and friendship, for other people there are other reasons listed above
I'm really happy you're here with us.

:hugehug:

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
Most people seem to me to want to survive and live to see tomorrow no matter how ****ty there existence is or what problems they have but why don't more or most people instead commit suicide what stops most people from going there ?

This is likely due to our genetic coding and part of survival of the fittest. These survival genes were passed on in far greater numbers than those with suicidal tendencies. These are part of life too, but the stronger typically carries with it greater longevity.