• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do non Christians constantly take Jesus's Name in vain ?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why would Christians Take Their Gods Name In Vain ?
Because the purpose of profanity is to elicit a reaction of shock in the person you're talking to and Christians are the ones who have deep feelings about Jesus.

Profanity is also about breaking social taboos, and it's the Christians who have taboos around the use of terms like "Jesus."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would Christians Take Their Gods Name In Vain ?

I'm reminded of this dialogue from the miniseries Spartacus, during a long dry spell, and someone is appealing to their deities for rain.

Batiatus: “Rain! By Jupiter’s ****, would you rain?”

Lucretia: “Quintus, what are you doing?”

Batiatus: “Praying…for rain.”

Lucretia: “Blaspheming!”

Batiatus: “The two are one in the same.”

Shaul

Premium Member
Maybe because HaShem wanted Christians to know how Jews feel when you blaspheme Him by saying Jesus was His equal.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think it is mostly habit and not because of hatred… but ultimately inspired by the adversary, Satan who does hate YHWH. We never hear someone taking Buddha’s name in vain.
I'll bet Yahweh was the first to yell out "Jesus!!!" when he created Satan to hate him. Oh well, no one's perfect.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
It's cultural. People saying it grew up hearing it constantly used as an expletive. It's no different than some who might still use 'rats!'. It doesn't mean anything outside of that.

PureX

Veteran Member
I constantly see this in movies and video games and in general conversation what is the reason for this ? Is it just a simple Hatred of Christianity or something more ?
No, I think it's just a habitual exclamation. We humans have a lot of those, as it seem we like to add these exclamatory words to our verbal exchanges to try and emphasize certain bits of information. Or to emphasis a reaction.

Jesus!
Holy Crap!
Damn!

And so on. There are lots of these kinds of exclamatory words and we are always inventing new ones, it seems.