• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people believe what they do?

Simplelogic

People believe simply because it is easier. It is far more time consuming and requires more effort to figure things out then believe.

People believe because they really don't care about the answer
People believe because there is a long history of success with the belief
People believe because it gives them a familiar support group

As long as you don't make your belief truth there is no downside. The problems occur when people confuse belief as truth. You can believe what ever you want but you need to research the truth.
i agree with your main points. However I don't think it is wrong to perceive something as truth. But if you mean the kinds of authoritative "truths" and "exclusive salvation" doctrines that religions teach then I agree with you.

morphesium

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on why we follow the religions we do. Below is one take on the matter.

"Have you ever wondered why people believe what they do? There are so many differing ideas as to what the truth is that logic would tell us there must be an immense amount of error in the world. Yet it seems that the best most religious leaders can do is specialize in exposing the errors of others. We've all seen it. Let's take for example three differing theologies and label them doctrines A, B, & C. All three have some truth and some error. Doctrine A specializes in exposing errors in the doctrines of B and C, and the vast majority of those who were born into A and raised as A remain A for the rest of their lives. Doctrine B specializes in the errors A and C, and C points out the errors of A and B. Occasionally, two will unite against the other. A and B will team up against the errors of C on which they agree, but virtually no A's convert to B's, or B's to A's. B and C will occasionally join forces against A's errors and so on. It would seem that everyone can see the errors with everyone else but themselves. The fact remains that very very few convert to something different from what they were born and raised into. This is true of every religion. Christians remain Christians, Jews remain Jews, and Moslems remain Moslems. Catholic Christians remain Catholic, Baptist-Baptist, and Lutheran-Lutheran. Ultra orthodox Jews remain Ultra orthodox, Orthodox- Orthodox, and Reformed- Reformed. The identical is true of the many factions of Islam, and every other ideology on earth.

So why do people really believe what they do? It should be apparent that the reason the majority of people believe what they do is for sociological reasons. Most people can be taught to believe just about anything if the acceptance of friends or especially family is at stake. Once people are secure in their surroundings, many of them don't really care what the truth is. But among those who have the courage to care, for many of them, if changing their mind means it will cost them the respect of family, and friends, then it is too much to consider. Of the small percentage of those who do choose to cross a line and pay the price of rejection, the vast majority do so for the purpose of being accepted into a new group or family. Most of us have seen numerous cases where a man or a woman will change their faith so they can marry someone of a different faith. But even in this, people remain within their general faith system. Christians generally move to another branch of Christianity, Jews to another branch of Judaism and so on. Very very few move to a completely different faith system, and those that do, again, do it mainly for acceptance reasons. It seems that true objectivity in searching for the truth is of little serious consideration. In a marriage, the decision on which way the couple will go seems to always land in favor of the one who has the most to lose if they were to change.

Many people have made significant sacrifices over time to support a certain belief system where they are accepted and held in high esteem. These people are the most unlikely to consider possible errors in their particular belief system no matter what the facts are. The greater the sacrifices a person has made in time and money for the institution they are attached to, the greater the unlikelihood that they will ever be able to consider error. For them, there is simply too much to turn their back on and walk away from. No one wants to admit that their blood-sweat and tears have been for naught."
Preface
I do agree with you thoroughly. Additionally, there are psychological reasons to why people adhering to their thought systems.

As a kid grows up (in the early ages), the whole world is their parents. At a young tender age, our reasoning capacity can be easily masked by the belief that our elders, who have seen the world much more than us can't be wrong. So they accept it without questioning. Regular and peiodical thinking and practices make such concepts hardwired in the brain and once it is hardwired (kind of habitulazing), it is very difficult to break such thoughts and practices. Over time the kids become adults and the cycle continues.
Imagine someone who is not used to the habit of drinking tea or reading newspaper early in the morning. he does the same the next day, the 3rd day.... he can stop that at any moment. But if he happened to keep on doing it that for 21 days regularly, the situation is very different. The routine is habitulaized. His mind will ask for tea, the morning news paper. Without that he will feel like something is missing, that his morning is not complete. The new routine has now turned to a habit. This is what counseling centers make use of if one wants to change habits .The reason probably is this- constant or regular signaling through a particular brain connection (channel or path) - makes it hard wired in the brain. Those channels that aren't used regularly are withered off.

Moreover, just like taste (we all have some kind of acquired taste- either it be for wines or cheese etc, all cultures has some sort of this. People who have acquired taste enjoys the food much more that those who haven't tasted it before), our religious sense can be acquired. "Acquired sense of religion" and hard wiring are two of the many Psychological reasons that makes A keep on being A, B - B and C - C.
Additionaly, "fear of the unknown" may play here. A being safeguarded with god(s) of A, can ridicule B and C with out making the God(s) of A angry:).

This is what makes people ----------
If one priests in A commits an immoral activity - usually what the concerned religious authority would do is this:- that priest is de-promoted (which is usually only on paper) and transferred to a different area. Those people who are A says -it is just an isolated case, not all priest are like that. He is a shame to priesthood. How can a priest do such a thing, he is not fit for his post. And they are happy with the religious authorities decisions. Those people in B and C says - all priests of A are like that; not an isolated case, that is what they are known for; Off the many, one gets caught. that is why he is given just a transfer for this outrageous crime as a priest and he can repeat the same process there.
Similar is the case with
B and C.
These are (some of) the reason why religion keeps lingering even if our rational minds finds faults with it. It takes strong will and determination and reasoning to break free from this.
If one keep on finding fault with his/her religion (or think about the various faults in his religion) for 21 days at a stretch - then he/she could be freed from their religion. An atheist perhaps.

Last edited:

Simplelogic

I do agree with you thoroughly. Additionally, there are psychological reasons to why people adhering to their thought systems.

As a kid grows up (in the early ages), the whole world is their parents. At a young tender age, our reasoning capacity can be easily masked by the belief that our elders, who have seen the world much more than us can't be wrong. So they accept it without questioning. Regular and peiodical thinking and practices make such concepts hardwired in the brain and once it is hardwired (kind of habitulazing), it is very difficult to break such thoughts and practices. Over time the kids become adults and the cycle continues.
Imagine someone who is not used to the habit of drinking tea or reading newspaper early in the morning. he does the same the next day, the 3rd day.... he can stop that at any moment. But if he happened to keep on doing it that for 21 days regularly, the situation is very different. The routine is habitulaized. His mind will ask for tea, the morning news paper. Without that he will feel like something is missing, that his morning is not complete. The new routine has now turned to a habit. This is what counseling centers make use of if one wants to change habits .The reason probably is this- constant or regular signaling through a particular brain connection (channel or path) - makes it hard wired in the brain. Those channels that aren't used regularly are withered off.

Moreover, just like taste (we all have some kind of acquired taste- either it be for wines or cheese etc, all cultures has some sort of this. People who have acquired taste enjoys the food much more that those who haven't tasted it before), our religious sense can be acquired. "Acquired sense of religion" and hard wiring are two of the many Psychological reasons that makes A keep on being A, B - B and C - C.
Additionaly, "fear of the unknown" may play here. A being safeguarded with god(s) of A, can ridicule B and C with out making the God(s) of A angry:).

This is what makes people ----------
If one priests in A commits an immoral activity - usually what the concerned religious authority would do is this:- that priest is de-promoted (which is usually only on paper) and transferred to a different area. Those people who are A says -it is just an isolated case, not all priest are like that. He is a shame to priesthood. How can a priest do such a thing, he is not fit for his post. And they are happy with the religious authorities decisions. Those people in B and C says - all priests of A are like that; not an isolated case, that is what they are known for; Off the many, one gets caught. that is why he is given just a transfer for this outrageous crime as a priest and he can repeat the same process there.
Similar is the case with
B and C.
These are (some of) the reason why religion keeps lingering even if our rational minds finds faults with it. It takes strong will and determination and reasoning to break free from this.
If one keep on finding fault with his/her religion (or think about the various faults in his religion) for 21 days at a stretch - then he/she could be freed from their religion. An atheist perhaps.
Completely agree!

I personally had to let go of my faith to actually find it. I was taught that "God" was a tyrant who tortures people forever if they don't follow Him. I was raised in an elitist religious philosophy that subconsciously produced a great amount of pride and arrogance toward other faiths or people of "no faith". I do personally believe in God but not any of the God's that these religions represent. Nor do I believe that anyone else must believe in my view of God to actually know Him. I honestly think that God is closer to the atheist who is asking honest questions then the religious who are too scared to search for themselves.

Thank you for sharing.

morphesium

Completely agree!

I personally had to let go of my faith to actually find it. I was taught that "God" was a tyrant who tortures people forever if they don't follow Him. I was raised in an elitist religious philosophy that subconsciously produced a great amount of pride and arrogance toward other faiths or people of "no faith". I do personally believe in God but not any of the God's that these religions represent. Nor do I believe that anyone else must believe in my view of God to actually know Him. I honestly think that God is closer to the atheist who is asking honest questions then the religious who are too scared to search for themselves.

Thank you for sharing.
I appreciate you for that. Congrats!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Helpless infants trust their parents.
This leads to an expanded trust of "the greater" throughout our lives.
That's why we believe the things that we do - because they were taught to us by something "greater" than ourselves.
So you believe in Something Greater than yourself?

jojom

image.png

I assume the "different Protestant faith" in "Raised Protestant, now different Protestant faith" refers to a different Protestant denomination. An odd way to phrase it IMO.

JoStories

The article is obviously referring to people who grow up with a certain form of religion. Not going to follow you down this rabbit trail.
And yet the argument fails when one considers people like me who did not follow the precepts of my parents; one devout Christian and one atheist. If the article is to be believed, I would have sociologically been driven to follow one of the two aforementioned and I don't.

Simplelogic

And yet the argument fails when one considers people like me who did not follow the precepts of my parents; one devout Christian and one atheist. If the article is to be believed, I would have sociologically been driven to follow one of the two aforementioned and I don't.
It's speaking in general terms

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on why we follow the religions we do. Below is one take on the matter.

"Have you ever wondered why people believe what they do? There are so many differing ideas as to what the truth is that logic would tell us there must be an immense amount of error in the world. Yet it seems that the best most religious leaders can do is specialize in exposing the errors of others. We've all seen it. Let's take for example three differing theologies and label them doctrines A, B, & C. All three have some truth and some error. Doctrine A specializes in exposing errors in the doctrines of B and C, and the vast majority of those who were born into A and raised as A remain A for the rest of their lives. Doctrine B specializes in the errors A and C, and C points out the errors of A and B. Occasionally, two will unite against the other. A and B will team up against the errors of C on which they agree, but virtually no A's convert to B's, or B's to A's. B and C will occasionally join forces against A's errors and so on. It would seem that everyone can see the errors with everyone else but themselves. The fact remains that very very few convert to something different from what they were born and raised into. This is true of every religion. Christians remain Christians, Jews remain Jews, and Moslems remain Moslems. Catholic Christians remain Catholic, Baptist-Baptist, and Lutheran-Lutheran. Ultra orthodox Jews remain Ultra orthodox, Orthodox- Orthodox, and Reformed- Reformed. The identical is true of the many factions of Islam, and every other ideology on earth.

So why do people really believe what they do? It should be apparent that the reason the majority of people believe what they do is for sociological reasons. Most people can be taught to believe just about anything if the acceptance of friends or especially family is at stake. Once people are secure in their surroundings, many of them don't really care what the truth is. But among those who have the courage to care, for many of them, if changing their mind means it will cost them the respect of family, and friends, then it is too much to consider. Of the small percentage of those who do choose to cross a line and pay the price of rejection, the vast majority do so for the purpose of being accepted into a new group or family. Most of us have seen numerous cases where a man or a woman will change their faith so they can marry someone of a different faith. But even in this, people remain within their general faith system. Christians generally move to another branch of Christianity, Jews to another branch of Judaism and so on. Very very few move to a completely different faith system, and those that do, again, do it mainly for acceptance reasons. It seems that true objectivity in searching for the truth is of little serious consideration. In a marriage, the decision on which way the couple will go seems to always land in favor of the one who has the most to lose if they were to change.

Many people have made significant sacrifices over time to support a certain belief system where they are accepted and held in high esteem. These people are the most unlikely to consider possible errors in their particular belief system no matter what the facts are. The greater the sacrifices a person has made in time and money for the institution they are attached to, the greater the unlikelihood that they will ever be able to consider error. For them, there is simply too much to turn their back on and walk away from. No one wants to admit that their blood-sweat and tears have been for naught."
Preface

I think this argument applies most to one belief in particular : atheism, by definition it specializes exclusively in critiquing all beliefs except itself, which makes it particularly difficult to stray from. Blind faith is faith which does not recognize itself.

jonathan180iq

So you believe in Something Greater than yourself?
Everyone does...

I know where you're going with this though, so don't read too much into it.
To a child, a parent is greater than them. To a young adult, the grown up world is greater than them. To an adult, a title, or a group of other adults, or a destination is greater than them...

The point is that this reliance on "the greater" is instilled in us from birth in our reliance on our parents. We carry that with us through life. It often displays itself as we get older in delusions of grandeur and grown-up imaginary friends.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Everyone does...

I know where you're going with this though, so don't read too much into it.
To a child, a parent is greater than them. To a young adult, the grown up world is greater than them. To an adult, a title, or a group of other adults, or a destination is greater than them...

The point is that this reliance on "the greater" is instilled in us from birth in our reliance on our parents. We carry that with us through life. It often displays itself as we get older in delusions of grandeur and grown-up imaginary friends.

all that is missing is continuance.

I believe we do.
and Someone holds the title.....Almighty.

too bad it ain't me.

jonathan180iq

all that is missing is continuance.

I believe we do.
and Someone holds the title.....Almighty.

too bad it ain't me.
So you maintained a continuance of your delusions of grandeur and expanded on your imaginary friend for grown ups? You even named him, "Almighty"

That's cute.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So you maintained a continuance of your delusions of grandeur and expanded on your imaginary friend for grown ups? You even named him, "Almighty"

That's cute.
and reasonable.

I believe in Spirit.
I can't say I am top of the line life form.
I am not my own handiwork (physically)
and I think it likely.....Something Greater will look me over.....and decide....
continuance?.....or a rendering?

It is written....Fear not anyone who would arm your flesh.
Fear instead He who is able to render the soul.

I am not of my own making.
I am frail enough to understand I can be harmed.
and I know very well....the mind and heart are vulnerable.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Wonderful - but why do people believe what they do? That's the purpose of the OP.
Look past why Thief believes what he believes and try to include why other people believe what they do as well...

Alas...I cannot.
I gave up dogmatic belief.
I gave up congregation.
I no longer seek sacrament or recital.

as a rogue theologian, I can speak only for myself.
My scheme of logic, I believe to be unique.

as for everyone else....I could offer safety in numbers.
If everyone else is nodding their heads.....and eating wafers.....

jonathan180iq

Alas...I cannot.
I gave up dogmatic belief.
I gave up congregation.
I no longer seek sacrament or recital.

as a rogue theologian, I can speak only for myself.
My scheme of logic, I believe to be unique.

as for everyone else....I could offer safety in numbers.
If everyone else is nodding their heads.....and eating wafers.....
So you can't possibly extrapolate your personal experiences onto others? You can't make any inferences about the human condition?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So you can't possibly extrapolate your personal experiences onto others? You can't make any inferences about the human condition?
Empathy I know well.
I've had a couple of episodes with strong physical reaction.

Seeing the world as someone else would see it?
I can do that to.

But for this particular relationship (the Forum and I)......
I can post what I believe.
I can counter point what others want to believe with some lean to pending results.

but I often find some people resistant to letting go of their claim.....
even as the consequence draws near.