• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people have religious beliefs?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
"The parents did what was their natural duty to do."
"Natural duty being what?"

The parents care for their children and provide for them for everything out of their natural love of the children, why shouldn't they help them with the truthful religion, please?

Regards

Thus taking away their freedom? Rather than letting them find out for themselves?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Or perhaps we could dispense with "religious" and "theological" and simply say that people have beliefs (of whatever nature) about the context in which their experience occurs.

I'm guessing that most of us are programmed with beliefs during our early childhood, as we absorb and "take as fact" the beliefs and worldviews of our parents and those around us. But such assimilation of beliefs can cause us to have beliefs that conflict one with another, or which are problematic or unhealthy in some way, all of which seem to often cause us to question those beliefs as we compare them to the reality we experience. In my case, this process caused me to eventually discard the Christianity-inflected beliefs of my childhood, and I began to look at reality from a fresh perspective and to learn from my own conscious (not just physical) experience.

Beliefs seem both pragmatic and problematic to me. Pragmatic in the sense that our daily experience and our wide-ranging perception is (or can be) too complex and detailed to completely absorb or adequately respond to. We can be overwhelmed with the data available to our senses and consciousness at any one time, so our beliefs cause us to notice (or to ignore) certain aspects of that data, and to interpret it or attribute meaning to it according to our preexisting beliefs.

On the other hand, if our beliefs don't actually correspond to reality, they can (and in my opinion often do) distort our perception, causing us to misinterpret various data, to ignore facts, and to derive meaning from sources that don't actually contain the meaning we think we perceive (such as hearing voices or patterns in random white noise or radio static).

So I personally think it is wise to examine and question our beliefs from time to time, and to strive to look at reality from a fresh, unbiased-as-possible perspective.
"most of us are programmed with beliefs during our early childhood, as we absorb and "take as fact" the beliefs and worldviews of our parents and those around us."

I understand, there is nothing wrong with it, it is very natural to do by the parents and very natural for the children to accept it. When the children reach adulthood, they are free to research.
This only shows that the non-believers have failed to give any positive reasons/arguments to convince them to non-belief, so they only make political assertions to cover their failings, Right, please?

Regards

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
It seems to me that most people's religious beliefs are those they assimilated as children, or were indoctrinated with by their parents, peers, community and culture.

That is no a healthy Faith build on solid ground.

Many others seem to adopt or adhere to religious beliefs as a result of fear, including fear of death, of the unknown, and fear of their own ignorance (with the realization or understanding that they don't know everything).

Never even enters my mind in Faith, it is never a reason to accept a Faith - It is Love

Admittedly, some seem to adopt some kind of religious beliefs in order to cling to the idea of some type of benevolent force in the universe, or something in control or guiding them during times of great personal need, desperation or confusion.

It is about becoming aware of the One Force that has created us and sustains us all. This can be realized at any time, but it takes great personal hardship, sometimes, for people to find this source.

Are any of these good reasons to accept any particular religion and its beliefs?

No

I tend to be suspicious of people who ardently defend their religious beliefs despite evidence to the contrary or lack of evidence, because it often seems to imply that at some level of consciousness they are aware that those beliefs might be wrong, might not conform to reality.

many people will not look at the evidence provided. God gives a Messenger and it is them that is the proof, they are not men like us. So they offer themselves as the proof. Their person, their lives and then the Word. That is all the evidence that is needed. It is they that guide and shape the world with these 3 things. Even if a person has not chosen to look and accept that.

So one can look back the see how a Faith Started by Noah, Abraham, Moses, or Buddha. or Jesus, or Muhammad or Krishna, or Zoroaster, or the Bab or Baha'u'llah has shaped mankind mind and their chosen path in life. Apart from these, who else still rules over the mind on men, except those that make themselves a God and try to dominate thought? Those that do it without the guidance given by a Messenger from God become names such as Hitler, who have a short but negative impact. Also Faith that does not do as a Messenger asks, also comes a cause more orientated to doing more bad than good.

I suppose however that when there are so many competing religious belief systems, it seems natural to feel challenged or threatened by all of them other than one's own.

That is a simple change in ones frame of reference. All True Faith comes from the One God, the Creator of us all. All we have to do is embrace the Truth given in all God given faith. We are our own worst enemy in achieving our unity.

As for myself, raised as a Christian but now not affiliated with any religion, I try to examine and question my own beliefs periodically, and to learn instead from my own experience.

That is the way, independent investigation of the Truth, Jesus the Christ said test all things and Hold on to what is Good. that is the key, as all good is from God, all evil is lack of that good and from our own selves.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
Thus taking away their freedom? Rather than letting them find out for themselves?

The best way is to teach the Children all the virtues, that are found in all Faiths and base all teaching in sound science and loving spirit. Subject them to some hardships, do not spoil them and teach them to serve family, friends and community.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
"The parents did what was their natural duty to do."
"Natural duty being what?"

The parents care for their children and provide for them for everything out of their natural love of the children, why shouldn't they help them with the truthful religion, please?

Regards

Yes teaching our children is Gods Law. Then we must teach them of all Faiths and strong science and let them decide what is the Truth. Islam is all of Allah's word spoken to Humanity, it is not any one persons, or a group of peoples ideas about what Allah has recited to mankind.

Regards Tony

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Isn't that one's political assertion , it is not from science? Right, please?

Regards

Not believe in freedom of expression and of individual freedoms - even if it isn't some sort of objective right? Since that is what one is going against by indoctrinating children with some kind of religious belief - which is often difficult to alter later on, even if many actually do reflect and change their beliefs subsequently. I can understand all parents wanting to instill certain beliefs in their children - like a consensus towards morality which few would disagree with, but religious beliefs often go further, and which can separate one from others.

I'm all for allowing children to develop naturally, with as much valid knowledge as one can give them and with the freedoms to find their own way in life. I know this is just one view and obviously many will see things differently, but religious teaching often goes against such and is not beneficial, in my view.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The best way is to teach the Children all the virtues, that are found in all Faiths and base all teaching in sound science and loving spirit. Subject them to some hardships, do not spoil them and teach them to serve family, friends and community.

Regards Tony

I tend to agree here, and I have no problem with teaching children about all the various religious beliefs - and the good so often in many, which I'll readily admit is there in so many - it's just the indoctrination all too often in one faith that I object to. Nothing more than that, even if many consider their right to do so, and believing it for the best - as do so many others with some other faith. If a child later chooses some particular religious belief I am not one to query their decision, as it is their right, but they should be old enough to be able to make such decisions.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Not believe in freedom of expression and of individual freedoms - even if it isn't some sort of objective right? Since that is what one is going against by indoctrinating children with some kind of religious belief - which is often difficult to alter later on, even if many actually do reflect and change their beliefs subsequently. I can understand all parents wanting to instill certain beliefs in their children - like a consensus towards morality which few would disagree with, but religious beliefs often go further, and which can separate one from others.

I'm all for allowing children to develop naturally, with as much valid knowledge as one can give them and with the freedoms to find their own way in life. I know this is just one view and obviously many will see things differently, but religious teaching often goes against such and is not beneficial, in my view.
As I understand,the parents have to perform their natural duties towards their children, and they perform them in all sincerity and with love. If it does not suit the non-believers, it is their own failings, they themselves should correct their thoughts. Right, please?

Regards

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As I understand,the parents have to perform their natural duties towards their children, and they perform them in all sincerity and with love. If it does not suit the non-believers, it is their own failings, they themselves should correct their thoughts. Right, please?

Regards

So you have no problems with any person having any kind of religious belief making sure their children get taught what they themselves believe, even if such goes against your own religious belief? And you seem to make an exception concerning freedoms (about indoctrinating children) unless you don't subscribe to such anyway - in which case you are up against some pillars of modern secular society - the notions of equality and having certain freedoms.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So you have no problems with any person having any kind of religious belief making sure their children get taught what they themselves believe, even if such goes against your own religious belief? And you seem to make an exception concerning freedoms (about indoctrinating children) unless you don't subscribe to such anyway - in which case you are up against some pillars of modern secular society - the notions of equality and having certain freedoms.
"So you have no problems with any person having any kind of religious belief making sure their children get taught what they themselves believe, even if such goes against your own religious belief?"

When the children will be adults, they will be able to get to know the truth wherever it is. No, harm in it.

Regards

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
"So you have no problems with any person having any kind of religious belief making sure their children get taught what they themselves believe, even if such goes against your own religious belief?"

When the children will be adults, they will be able to get to know the truth wherever it is. No, harm in it.

Regards

I think you are a lot more optimistic than realistic, such that how many do get to question their inherited faith at any later stage in their lives especially when their culture might exert as much pressure as their initial 'education' did. As I've mentioned before, I had no such pressure from my parents or from society, and never took to religious belief, but I'm reasonably sure that I am very much in the minority. And the UK is rather more free in this respect than many other nations - fortunately.

danieldemol

Premium Member
... Those that do it without the guidance given by a Messenger from God become names such as Hitler, who have a short but negative impact...
A shameless polemic, Einstein did without the guidance of a Messenger, do you consider Einstein equivalent to Hitler? Of course there are many distinguished gentlefolk who did without the guidance of Messengers.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I think you are a lot more optimistic than realistic, such that how many do get to question their inherited faith at any later stage in their lives especially when their culture might exert as much pressure as their initial 'education' did. As I've mentioned before, I had no such pressure from my parents or from society, and never took to religious belief, but I'm reasonably sure that I am very much in the minority. And the UK is rather more free in this respect than many other nations - fortunately.
Since, as I understand, the Atheism have no strong and positive arguments for Atheism to convince others, so they resort to such political assertions. Right, please?

Regards

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Since, as I understand, the Atheism have no strong and positive arguments for Atheism to convince others, so they resort to such political assertions. Right, please?

Regards

We don't need to have any. All we tend to do is dismiss what the various religions claim - as being less probable than anything else. That is my basis for lacking such beliefs - that the probability of any being correct is very low.

Messianic Israelite

It seems to me that most people's religious beliefs are those they assimilated as children, or were indoctrinated with by their parents, peers, community and culture.

Many others seem to adopt or adhere to religious beliefs as a result of fear, including fear of death, of the unknown, and fear of their own ignorance (with the realization or understanding that they don't know everything).

Admittedly, some seem to adopt some kind of religious beliefs in order to cling to the idea of some type of benevolent force in the universe, or something in control or guiding them during times of great personal need, desperation or confusion.

Are any of these good reasons to accept any particular religion and its beliefs?

I tend to be suspicious of people who ardently defend their religious beliefs despite evidence to the contrary or lack of evidence, because it often seems to imply that at some level of consciousness they are aware that those beliefs might be wrong, might not conform to reality.

I suppose however that when there are so many competing religious belief systems, it seems natural to feel challenged or threatened by all of them other than one's own.

As for myself, raised as a Christian but now not affiliated with any religion, I try to examine and question my own beliefs periodically, and to learn instead from my own experience.

Hi. Good evening. You seem to fail to realise that you can be religious and you can examine and question your beliefs. This is how we grow. However, we find the answers to the questions in the Bible. It's true, I was born in my faith but in my faith we are encouraged to prove from the texts what we believe. We just had the Feast of Unleavened Bread in my faith where we threw out leaven out of our homes. Yahweh doesn't want us adhering to any false teachings. He is the Elohim of Truth (Psalm 31:5). Sure you can try learn from your past experiences, however, chokmah is contained in the Bible. It contains all the wisdom you need so you don't need to make mistakes by past experience to learn the correct way. It agitates me that so many people are insistent that religion and open mindedness is incompatible. It's not true. True religion should encourage us to 'prove all things; hold fast that which is good' (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

Perhaps when or if you have children you will come to understand that learning by past experience is not the way how to go through life. Yahweh's way is perfect. We can learn by walking in the way of understanding.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Why does anyone believe anything? Because it suits their knowledge and map of the territory.

randix

However, we find the answers to the questions in the Bible.

Don't you believe that a person should be able to question, doubt or even reject the idea that the Bible is an authoritative (or most authoritative) source of information, after due consideration and judging the Bible against their own experience, known facts and lack of evidential support or proof for certain key Biblical assertions, claims and Bible-derived doctrines?

Last edited:

Jimmy

Veteran Member

No doubt reality is our finest teacher