• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do people want to spread their religion?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Why is it human nature for people to want to tell others about their religion?

I have no intention to proselytise or try and spread my religious beliefs by converting others to them yet I feel a desire to discuss them with others which is something I try to stop myself doing
I'm not sure if it counts as a religion, but I like to tell people about human rights because the more people who believe in the concept, the more secure human rights will be in my view.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's human nature. For example, when I find a restaurant that serves great food, I want to tell others. If I've just remodeled a room and love the result, I want others to appreciate the result etc. So religion is just one example of something very very common.
Really? That's not my human nature. Maybe I'm not human? With the restaurant analogy, I figure people can figure that out for themselves. In a local forum for my city gets asked, "What's a great restaurant?" the questioner will get 50 different responses. So people all favour different varieties of food. If certain people I know recommended a certain restaurant, I definitely would not go there.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not sure if it counts as a religion, but I like to tell people about human rights because the more people who believe in the concept, the more secure human rights will be in my view.
Often some people don't know their human rights as well, like the fact you can walk out of a hospital by giving them a note regarding you're taking responsibility.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Are you the sole measuring stick for what and what is not human nature then?
Of course not. I just think 'human nature' is more diverse than some people seem to assume. I know lots of people who feel no need to share everything about themselves, and their interests. Of course lots do too. A fellow devotee of the Hindu temple I go too has a PHD, but I didn't find out it was in agricultural research (a topic I would have been very interested in) until the eulogy at his funeral. So yeah, we're diverse.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Often some people don't know their human rights as well, like the fact you can walk out of a hospital by giving them a note regarding you're taking responsibility.
Actually I didn't know that, although in Australia at least it comes with an important disclaimer;

'Can a medical provider refuse a patient's request to discharge themselves?

If a patient does not have capacity to make the decision of discharge, the hospital staff can continue treatment against the patient's will and refuse discharge.

If the hospital staff took the same stance for a patient who does have capacity, they are theoretically exposed to a claim for battery and false imprisonment, however, in practice such claims would be extremely rare especially in the context of emergency treatment.'

Source: What happens if you discharge yourself against medical advice?.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually I didn't know that, although in Australia at least it comes with an important disclaimer;

'Can a medical provider refuse a patient's request to discharge themselves?

If a patient does not have capacity to make the decision of discharge, the hospital staff can continue treatment against the patient's will and refuse discharge.

If the hospital staff took the same stance for a patient who does have capacity, they are theoretically exposed to a claim for battery and false imprisonment, however, in practice such claims would be extremely rare especially in the context of emergency treatment.'

Source: What happens if you discharge yourself against medical advice?.
A lawyer's Godsend.

Heyo

Veteran Member
To pick up the restaurant analogy made by @sun rise, you want that the restaurant thrives so you can return and have good meals, preferably with your tribe. Keeping it a secret could lead to the restaurant having to close.
That's why your ancestors told their tribe of the field with the good berries. It kept all the tribe fed and the berry seeds were dispersed.
Back to modern times, convincing others to buy a product may lead to that product being produced in greater numbers and get cheaper. That isn't always true. rare things get more expensive when they are wanted by more people but overall the heuristic works and we keep doing it instinctively.
I have no intention to proselytise or try and spread my religious beliefs by converting others to them yet I feel a desire to discuss them with others which is something I try to stop myself doing
People discuss religion for two diametrically different reasons (which often leads to them speaking past each other): you may want to proselytise (spread your religion, get more powerful, get more tithing) or you want to validate or falsify your ideas.
I like to bounce off my ideas off people who are willing to take a look at them and want to know their perspective, information I hadn't integrated yet, told when I made a logical error.
And, following the Golden Rule, when people tell me about their ideas, I assume they want me to critically analyse their ideas and give useful feedback.
I'm sometimes sensitive enough to apply the Platinum Rule. Sometimes people just want confirmation not criticism. And while I can't give that in good conscience, I can refrain from criticising.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's human nature. For example, when I find a restaurant that serves great food, I want to tell others. If I've just remodeled a room and love the result, I want others to appreciate the result etc. So religion is just one example of something very very common.
It depends on the person.
There are big eaters that would not tell anyone so they can devour the entire menu. LOL...:grin::laughing:

Jokes aside...what I meant is that for us free will believers, we like to express how we feel, but we cannot impose our vision on others because that would violate their freedom of choice.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
People do not want to be totally alone in how they see the world. In addition people love to find out if others view the world the way that they do.

It's also an attempt to share their input and find out new information relevant to what they adhere to.

If people did not share their religion, and their philosophy life would be dull and we would all be stuck in Plato's cave.

Correct responses only is no way to live and relate.

Then there are those out to save the world from impending doom.

Then there are those that enjoy wielding the power of influence their religion brings them.

I think all religions have elements of reality embedded in them even if the whole of it is rubbish.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is like the Israelites who went out from a city and found an abundance left behind by a fleeing enemy and desired to share that wealth with fellow citizens. In Christianity we have such a good thing now and to come that it would be a shame not to share it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe I am glad. I had a friend recommend a book series and I really enjoyed it. I think a lot of people have: Fire and Ice series made into the tv series Game of Thrones.

PureX

Veteran Member

Actually, most people do not wish to discuss their religious beliefs or opinions with others.

Of those who do, I think the most common reason is ego. They are proud of their being a part of their chosen religion so they want everyone else to know about it. Often, I think, they feel superior because of their religious affiliation as well, and they want everyone else to know that, too.

MikeF

Premium Member
It is human to help one another, right?
What harm does accrue to other if one gives reasonable arguments for one's religion or no religion to the other humans, please, right??

Regards

It is human to both help and harm one another. Sometimes it is hard to fully appreciate which is occurring.