• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do the insects let us live?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting it into general discussion. One of my doomsday scenarios for the end of the human race is one in which a mite or other tiny critter develops taste for mammals and eats us all up.

Why hasn't that happened? Or has it?

For example if ants or flies wanted to they could eat most of us. Why haven't they?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting it into general discussion. One of my doomsday scenarios for the end of the human race is one in which a mite or other tiny critter develops taste for mammals and eats us all up.

For example if ants or flies wanted to they could eat most of us. Why haven't they?
Oh but they do.....

That's the nefariously evil part......

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Reminds me of the old creationist question....
"If there's evolution, why are there still apes?"

Insects are adapted to other food sources.
Could they adapt to us? Not easily...we'd
be hard to carry off to their nest.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There isn't enough oxygen to support very large invertebrates, or they could very easily carry us off to the nest. We must assume that they would carve us us up en-situ and not as takeout or that they would kill us and leave most of our carcasses to rot and for other insects to eat.

Anyways the total number of humans has risen dramatically, leading to more possibilities for critters to adapt to killing us. Experimentation is rare, but the lab is larger than ever.

I take your point that they are adapted to other food sources. That is true they are, but they could mutate and rapidly increase as they consume all of those food sources like a great ponzi scheme at the end of which they starve for lack of more to eat.

But I'm not saying you're wrong. Definitely good points.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not sure i want to meet the bug that could carry a human to its nest

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There isn't enough oxygen to support very large invertebrates, or they could very easily carry us off to the nest. We must assume that they would carve us us up en-situ and not as takeout or that they would kill us and leave most of our carcasses to rot and for other insects to eat.

Anyways the total number of humans has risen dramatically, leading to more possibilities for critters to adapt to killing us. Experimentation is rare, but the lab is larger than ever.

I take your point that they are adapted to other food sources. That is true they are, but they could mutate and rapidly increase as they consume all of those food sources like a great ponzi scheme at the end of which they starve for lack of more to eat.

But I'm not saying you're wrong. Definitely good points.
If more oxygen allowed bigger bugs, tis humans
who would threaten their existence.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If more oxygen allowed bigger bugs, tis humans
who would threaten their existence.
Not in Africa but definitely over here. We'd kill even the eggs. So we can rule that out as the end of humankind, though it might destroy Africa followed by Asia.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Fungus already grows in human nasal passages and under fingernails. The stuff could wipe us out.

Nimos

The moment they develop nuclear weapons, I would start to worry :D

Why haven't the ants killed all the other small insects, that would probably be a lot easier than killing off all humans, besides that I neither see why they would want that or how it would even be beneficial for them. If anything they should declare war on birds, I think they are the ones that eat the most of them :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Maybe they’re enjoying watching the circus that is the human existence?
Or they don’t like eating junk food, I dunno

Audie

Veteran Member

Little you know but much you speak