• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe in God(s)?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Depends on the definition of God that is being used at the moment.
That's a very good point to raise. Mine is not very Abrahamic, for example, as well as using it for different terms for lack of a clear, all-catching term. It seems like there is a lot of weight behind the word God, since many people project an anthromorphised sky king entity. Sometimes I forget this is the case. :eek:

Hi the word GOD = idol I don't believe in idols. The don't see or hear, they are the imagination of men. I do how ever believe in YAHVAH ELOHIM, and the reason is that as HE says only he tells the future and is always right for makes it be. I present the same challege that the Bible gives, bring all your idols and let them tell what will be and let us wait and see. As an example I will use Israel.

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
I believe that there may be something behind the energy. But, I do not believe it resembles anything close to any of the Gods that religion here on earth has conjured up.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I believe in the Supreme Reality that is called Brahman by the Vedas. I believe that it is from that Reality, which is the ever-unchanging and ever-unmoving, which sprang all things which are manifest.

It is upon that Reality which I paint the figure of Siva, and upon the aggregate of the manifest that paint the figure of Kali.

TJ73

I was at work all day. just got in a looked for this thread. What a calm nice exchange. I didn't expect to feel this way. I was sure it would have turned.
That sense I was talking about. I have found it in places outside the Quran and the Bible. I have felt it in places in people, in animals, like a nod. like an... affirmative. like feeling "Yes, yes you have it. That is right" Although I don't proselytize, and I tighten up when I hear someone else do it, I so understand when someone gets so full of "this" that it wants to spill out. I think our various scripture is a means to help us find a common means to express to one another the un-expressible.
When were were talking about letting go , or like stop thinking, it is more like allowing "this" to guide your thought. It is like leting go because it feels different than normal thought.
You ever have a dream or smoked something that made you have 12billion coherent thoughts all at once and it all made sense, but you lost it the second you woke up, you just know you had an epiphany?

lunakilo

Just to clarify, the original question:
Depends on the definition of God that is being used at the moment.
No it doesn't

What matters is your own definition of God/deities/spirit/life force/the force/... what ever it is you believe in.

And the original request was for you to please try to explain to me what has convinced you of its existence.