• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe?

Why do you believe?

• Because I was raised in a religious context

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Because I'm afraid to go to Hell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because I need to believe in something

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Because I'm afraid there's nothing after death

• Because I don't think that we owe our existence to random events

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don't believe

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Because it fits in with my own life experiences which has shaped ny philosophical outlook

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Because it fits with my philosophical outlook (but no 'experiences' to speak of)

• Total voters

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Other: I believe what I believe for the exact same reason any human believes what they believe. It's consistent with my past experiences and knowledge. And, the beliefs serve me well. They do not cause cognitive dissonance or incentive to change.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Other: I believe what I believe for the exact same reason any human believes what they believe. It's consistent with my past experiences and knowledge. And, the beliefs serve me well. They do not cause cognitive dissonance or incentive to change.

This.

People seriously need to remember to put "other" as an option on every poll.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Agreed; there needs to be an "other" category, or spell out what Q just posted as an alternative.

I was raised in one religious tradition; I believe in a very different way now.
Concept of Hell plays no role in my current belief system
I think everyone "needs" to believe something...atheists "need" be believe that there is no god, etc, just as those who believe in some god(s) need to believe that...
I fully accept the possibility that there's "nothing" after; I just don't believe that's the case.
I don't think humans are capable of truly understanding whether something is "random" or "caused" in any comprehensive way; to me, it's a nonstarter of an issue; "chaos" is not necessarily the same as "random," and there can still be plenty of intentional cause behind it...

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
And honestly a lot of christians I know believe for more than one of the reasons seen there.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

This; it just seems like the logical conclusion from my life so far.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ironically, if I had to answer the poll, I think I would go with either "I don't believe" (because it's not a matter of belief to me, it's a matter of knowledge and direct experience).

Or perhaps "I don't think that we owe our existence to random events" (because the universe isn't actually random anyway, it's a network of causes and effects). :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have no idea why I believe. I just believe. Why do people have 2 eyes? Why are rocks hard? Since it wasn't a conscious choice, I don't know.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I voted "Because I was raised in a religious environment." Had that not been so, I probably never would have given a lot of thought to the question of whether gods existed and come to the conclusion that they did not.

Levite

Higher and Higher

^^This!!

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Other- I've experienced things I really don't understand, which I interpreted to be my deities.

I don't think that many people believe in god because of death.

Peace

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

I have no idea why I believe. I just believe. Why do people have 2 eyes? Why are rocks hard? Since it wasn't a conscious choice, I don't know.

Both of these.

Evee

I grew up in a completely atheistic household and came to G-d myself as a teenager. My belief fluctuates with my experiences, but is based on one particular experience I had when I was about 17.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Does anyone here care to elaborate carefully on what they mean by experiences.

Exactly what the experiences are will vary from person to person, just as experiences with different people will vary.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Does anyone here care to elaborate carefully on what they mean by experiences.

Sure.

I've felt the gods' presences. They each have a distinct energy. For example, Set's energy is chaotic and wild.

I've had statues in my shrine do weird things.

Something really weird happened with Poseidon one time when I offered him water.

jmn

Sure.

I've felt the gods' presences. They each have a distinct energy. For example, Set's energy is chaotic and wild.

I've had statues in my shrine do weird things.

Something really weird happened with Poseidon one time when I offered him water.
Rapid brain fluctuations, and there are many explainable causes.

Last edited: