• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you pray?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
When I pray, I am training the mind. I practice humility, generosity, and loving kindness toward others. If I am going through a phase of whiny pity-parties or arrogant self-righteousness, praying helps me to "wake up" to more virtuous perspectives.

Peace,
Mystic

trinity2359

Prayer cannot logically work, as many of the multitude of prayers a supposed god would get would be working at cross purposes, i.e. the classic case, people on opposing sides of a war praying for victory.

I think the problem is that some approach prayer as like a vending machine - put in a prayer and out comes your desire. Personally, I don't think God gives a rats behind whether a sports team wins and he would like there to be no war so I doubt he has favorites there. The catch is to pray according to God's will not our own.

blackout

Violet.
I think the problem is that some approach prayer as like a vending machine - put in a prayer and out comes your desire. Personally, I don't think God gives a rats behind whether a sports team wins and he would like there to be no war so I doubt he has favorites there. The catch is to pray according to God's will not our own.

So what's the point of your prayer then?

Simply that you won't do your own will?
So that God can do his? :shrug:

trinity2359

Do like to talk to your earthly father? Do you ever just wanna hang and chat with your best friend? It's no different with your Heavenly Father. His love and mercy draw us to Him and we want to be with Him - this is Worship. Asking things according to His will is asking for his advice on matters - again, no different than discussing things with a trusted collegue (sp) whose opinion your greatly admire and respect.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I remember when I was a teen my cousin said he didn't believe in God because he prayed for a car and didn't get one. We tried to tell him that God doesn't work that way, that a car would not just "suddenly drop out of the sky" but he was unwilling to listen. I found that profoundly sad.

blackout

Violet.
Do like to talk to your earthly father? Do you ever just wanna hang and chat with your best friend? It's no different with your Heavenly Father. His love and mercy draw us to Him and we want to be with Him - this is Worship. Asking things according to His will is asking for his advice on matters - again, no different than discussing things with a trusted collegue (sp) whose opinion your greatly admire and respect.

I know trinity.
I was devout Catholic for a long time and honestly
I have the hardest time responding to Catholic posts (or Catholic LIKE posts),
because I always seem to sound like I'm on the attack, or sarcastic,
which really is not how I want to come off at all.

The construct of God as "Father" figure did me very well for a time,
and I understand it completely. But now I know God in everything
and rather think of God as the fabric of reality,
which is sentient Life itself... or the Living UniVerse.

I'm aware of "God" 24/7
and we interact as artists creating something awesome together.
I would never dream of asking my Life Reality (God) to "do it's will"
because it's all just an assumed give and take,
like in any healthy and vital relationship.

It's just a given that if my REALITY has a better way of doin' somthing,
I'm on board. But as I said , it's a constant give and take,
like two artists in Life.... just hangin' out together and havin a good time.

To me, this also is not worship.
It's more of a mutual admiration club.

logician

Then you're wasting your time, or worse, asking for disaster, what if god's will is that you die?

.lava

Veteran Member
So what's the point of your prayer then?

Simply that you won't do your own will?
So that God can do his? :shrug:

i believe we can't imagine the difference of results between asking for what you think that makes you happy and what makes you happy.

blackout

Violet.
i believe we can't imagine the difference of results between asking for what you think that makes you happy and what makes you happy.

As I think I already said,
I no longer "ask God" for stuff.

I just step out in active faith
in every single thing I do.
I step out toward a thing...
a goal... an idea...
as I am personally inspired
and I move with/in the flow,
as new insights/conditions/meanings/ideas/ and obsticales arise.

This very type of fluid living...
IS what makes me happy! :rainbow1:

A well contemplated experience of life
is in and of itself a LIVING prayer.

crystalonyx

I remember when I was a teen my cousin said he didn't believe in God because he prayed for a car and didn't get one. We tried to tell him that God doesn't work that way, that a car would not just "suddenly drop out of the sky" but he was unwilling to listen. I found that profoundly sad.

Exactly how does a supposed god work? Who is to say what is god's will?